Sign in to follow this  
OtisCampbell

Social Media and Recruiting

Does anyone know what kind of rules are in place for this? With so many new outlets popping up all the time e.g. (Snapchat, WhatsApp, ...) this seems like it could be exploited by a savoy coaching staff. I can't imagine the NCAA being smart enough to keep up with all of this.

I wouldn't say it is as shady as a coaching staff stocking up on Radioshake disposable cell phones to reach out to recruits early, but even following a recruit on Twitter would be huge for a top coach.

Snapchat is an approved recruiting tool. Which confuses me, since I don't use Snapchat but my impression was that the whole purpose of snapchat was for teenagers to send naked selfies to each other.

Snapchat is an approved recruiting tool. Which confuses me, since I don't use Snapchat but my impression was that the whole purpose of snapchat was for teenagers to send naked selfies to each other.

My mid 20s friends use it all the time for non-nude purposes. I don't, but they often text me particularly good snaps.

I would guess all the other media types will fall under the same contact rules as texts, etc. but not sure on that. Recruits can initiate as many contacts as they want but coaches are limited in the number of and timeframe in which they can initiate a contact.

Funny story regarding contacts. A few years ago my son was being recruited by a few schools and at that time, coaches were allowed to initiate one phone call with a recruit during a week's time (if I remember correctly).

I was with my son on a recruiting visit and eating lunch with the head coach of one school. The coaches cell phone rings, he looks at it and then hands his cell to my son and tells him to answer it, which he does. Obviously the caller was a little confused, thought he had the wrong number, asks who it was and my son tells him and then hands the phone back to the coach.

Coach takes the phone back, tells the caller, "That's your one contact for the week, you can't call him back until next week" and starts laughing. Turns out the caller was a coach at another school that was also recruiting my son.

The two coaches were good friends and I thought that was a pretty funny prank. Needless to say, the other coach did get his allotted call in for that week.