Sign in to follow this  
Two_on_one

Favorite announcers

I love the way Ken Chertow does the announcing. He is very enthusiastic about the matches and gets excited when a good move is executed. He also does his homework and not only knows the competitors, but often knows their "go to" moves. I like the way he not only compliments wrestlers, but will call them out when they do something dumb. He knows the rules and gives the same treatment to the refs. It makes for a fun broadcast.

Jim Gibbons is very good also. Outstanding knowledge of what is happening on the mat. His only ding would be that he is too soft on the refs even when they totally blow a call. He will diplomatically handle those situations with something like "oh I am not so sure about that call". Overall does an excellent job.

I know this will get lots of comments, but I really like those guys from FLO also. If their exuberance annoys hardcore fans, turn on any NFL game and listen to how the announcers go ape sh*t on a 10 yard pass. Does anyone know more about selling a sport to the masses than the NFL? Keep it up FLO.

Tim Johnson - does a good job but I still can't think of him without remembering how badly he blew the end of the Caldwell Metcalf match. OK, I will get over it. I do generally like his broadcast and he has excellent knowledge of the sport.

Shane Sparks - Five Star up and comer. Put him and Chertow on ESPN for NCAA's and you will get the average guy on the street excited about college wrestling. I have always liked the way he introduces the dual meets and his interviews with wrestlers, but when I saw him do a play by play this year, I was sold on the guy. I still get a kick out of him saying the bottom guy was in "Alcatraz".

We still have a few announcers that try to imitate the monotone emotionless style of Russ Hellickson. Get rid of those guys. Russ was a great wrestler but could put anyone to sleep with his delivery at the microphone.

The Student U guys on BTN are all over the board. The Nebraska match guys two years ago are legendary for not having a single clue, yet some of these kids this year were pretty solid.

I also thought McDonough did OK on the one match I saw him this year.

Gibbons and Johnson sure lit up the ref for the Michigan-Penn State dual.

Grajales-Alton match alone:

"Mike Chase is calling this different than any referee I've seen."

"I'm having a hard following what this man is doing out there."

"...can expect a call from Mike Allen in about 90 minutes."

After the number of calls that went against him, by the end of the match, they were openly cheering for Grajales. As a Michigan fan, I loved it.

Gibbons and Johnson sure lit up the ref for the Michigan-Penn State dual.

Grajales-Alton match alone:

"Mike Chase is calling this different than any referee I've seen."

"I'm having a hard following what this man is doing out there."

"...can expect a call from Mike Allen in about 90 minutes."

After the number of calls that went against him, by the end of the match, they were openly cheering for Grajales. As a Michigan fan, I loved it.

That ref deserved it and then some. What a dunce.

1. JD Bergman. Charismatic all-around great announcer. Likable, well-spoken, and a bit of a wrestling nerd. Very current on his wrestling and obviously follows the sport closely not just as a competitor but also as a fan. Says something intelligent most of the time, and rarely uses "filler." Importantly, does a great job of not shifting the attention away from the wrestling.

2. Ken Chertow. The consummate pro. If it weren't for his nasal voice, I'd probably put him #1. Good combination of professionalism and fundamental wrestling knowledge. Knows his stuff, tells it like it is, and is unbiased. I like how he talks not only about the action of the moment, but also about the overall strategy of the match. He's the closest thing we have to a really good boxing announcer who breaks down the tale of the tape and analyzes the match-up before the fight.

3. Flo crew. Energy. Wrestling needs more of it. All they are missing is the pedigree of the other "best announcers."

Jeff Byers

JD Bergman

Jim Gibbons

Ken Chertow

Dirty...Spates is great on the OU telecasts. He describes techniques, thoughts on set-ups, why wrestlers are looking to do things (and why they aren't), etc. My only issue with him, at least earlier this season, was how all of the OU wrestlers could win NCAAs!

Johnson is good - when he remembers to stop talking about the University of Iowa wrestling team/wrestlers that aren't even in the match he's calling.

Jeff Byers

JD Bergman

Jim Gibbons

Ken Chertow

Dirty...Spates is great on the OU telecasts. He describes techniques, thoughts on set-ups, why wrestlers are looking to do things (and why they aren't), etc. My only issue with him, at least earlier this season, was how all of the OU wrestlers could win NCAAs!

Johnson is good - when he remembers to stop talking about the University of Iowa wrestling team/wrestlers that aren't even in the match he's calling.

I haven't heard Bergman, but I certainly like the others you've listed.

Jeff Byers

JD Bergman

Jim Gibbons

Ken Chertow

There's a joke going around that Johnson names Tony Ramos the Outstanding Wrestler of every match, regardless of whether or not Iowa was actually one of the teams.

"1. JD Bergman. Charismatic all-around great announcer. Likable, well-spoken.........Says something intelligent most of the time........Importantly, does a great job of not shifting the attention away from the wrestling."

I don't understand the love for the current BigTen crew. They DO shift their attention away from the wrestling and often will not interrupt stray comments even when something dramatic occurs on the mat. It's as if matches, sometimes, have their part time attention. That and an inability to finish sentences. For national broadcasting, that cannot be considered doing a good job, in no shape or form.

"1. JD Bergman. Charismatic all-around great announcer. Likable, well-spoken.........Says something intelligent most of the time........Importantly, does a great job of not shifting the attention away from the wrestling."

I don't understand the love for the current BigTen crew. They DO shift their attention away from the wrestling and often will not interrupt stray comments even when something dramatic occurs on the mat. It's as if matches, sometimes, have their part time attention. That and an inability to finish sentences. For national broadcasting, that cannot be considered doing a good job, in no shape or form.

Are you saying that you agree with me that JD is commendable because he doesn't do that... or are you saying that JD is guilty of that? If the latter, I don't recall JD focusing on anything but the wrestling at hand when the action warrants attention.

Your post, lauding what JD does well, brought to mind my irritation with Johnson and Gibbons.

Completely agreed.

The other obvious difference between them is JD can call a match involving a Buckeye objectively with no bias.

That's what I find the most impressive about his commentating.

He calls it with no emotional attachment.

Which is WAY different from Ironside. When an Iowa wrestler is dogging it, or they are wrestling flat, he's awesome to listen to.

Jake Herbert has also been pretty good when behind a mic.