Sign in to follow this  
cradletograve

Iowa Fans - Where does McDonough Rank?

After finishing 1-2-1, where does McDonough rank in your mind among Iowa's all-time greats? Is he in the top ten?

Also, rank these lightweights in their prime - McDonough, Barry Davis, Tom and Terry Brands, Randy Lewis, Eric Jeurgens and Mark Ironside.

He should bump up and wrestle Steiber and Oliver to prove he's good. That's what everyone wants Dake to do, I think McD should do the same. Will he accept the challenge? Probably not.
I think McDonough is going to 165, we'll see if Taylor stays there to meet him. He said he'd go 157, but he doesn't think he's any faster than Derek St. John is.

I see McDonough at 133 next year. Oliver 141. Steiber 141 and possibly a great rematch between Oliver and Steiber.

McDonough should rank high on Iowa's ALL-Time greats. After next year, ????

Completely agree. ^ Also I bet that both Oliver and Steiber make the move to 141. They are both HUGE for 133.

I see McDonough at 133 next year. Oliver 141. Steiber 141 and possibly a great rematch between Oliver and Steiber.

McDonough should rank high on Iowa's ALL-Time greats. After next year, ????

McD is on pace to be among Iowa's greats for sure.

Question: if he bumps up to 133 next year, does Ramos slide up to 141 in place of MM or does he suck down to 125? Can Ramos make the weight at this point? I thought Tony bumped from 125 to 133 freshman year, but he looks like he might be too big to cut down to 125 now. 141 might be an option but I wonder if he'll be giving up too much in terms of size/length...

It seems to me that the three Monroville kids are pretty comfortable where they are. I doubt Tessari moves up, and that kind of holds the other two where they are.

McDonough is amazing, that's all I can say about him. He is so subtly proficient. I would love for that kid to be on my team. I don't know where you put him in the realm of Ironsides, Joe Williams (that might be a stretch), Brands, etc, but he has been a joy to watch, despite the fact that he wrestles for Iowa.

Been following McDonough since he was in junior in high school. He's a sharp, tough guy with a big heart and a terrific attitude. I'd like to see him at 133 with a touch more power added on. Could he whip Stieber or Oliver? I dunno, but I'd like to watch him try. Whatever he decides to do, expect him to approach it in a careful, intelligent way.

Ramos is too big for 125. McDonough is staying where he is. How long have people been questioning if he can do the cut or not? Every year, "he's going to bump up". Every year, he stays put.

If he closes out next year with a national title, he'll be 1,2,1,1 . Don't forget that his freshman year he won a title in a weight class with three other national champions: Escobedo, Nickerson, Robles.

Tom Brands and Barry Davis are the only other Hawkeye lightweights to win three titles. Of course Terry also had an outstanding international career. So far I'd say he's behind Tom and Terry, right with Barry and Ironside. Slightly ahead of Juergens. Ask me again next year.

Ask me the same question next year. Let's wait until his career is over to see where he ranks among the Hawkeyes.

So it is next year. Obviously, McD fails to AA his senior year. Is he still considered one of the all-time greats, or has this year tarnished his legacy? How does he rank against other 2 timers? Iowa has 16 2Xers including McD. Is he in the middle? At the bottom?

Does the order of things affect the perception of him and where he will be ranked? Does going 1-2-1-DNP lower his standing than if he had gone DNP-2-1-1?

It probably drops his down slightly, but he's still high up there after his entire body of work especially if you also add in his overall career record.

Does the order of things affect the perception of him and where he will be ranked? Does going 1-2-1-DNP lower his standing than if he had gone DNP-2-1-1?

Yes, that does matter. A lot of Hawkeye fans are saying that there is an issue with McDonough's shoulder, which does add up with some of the things we saw him struggling with that he used to have no issue with, most notably when he would get in and grab a leg, and just suck it in even if he was stretched out. He seemed to have much less strength and was struggling to do that. So I think it will depend on the individual where he goes. I think he was a great Hawk, but I think I need some time and separation from this season to unbiasedly put him in the All-Time Hawkeyes rankings.

Yes, that does matter. A lot of Hawkeye fans are saying that there is an issue with McDonough's shoulder, which does add up with some of the things we saw him struggling with that he used to have no issue with, most notably when he would get in and grab a leg, and just suck it in even if he was stretched out. He seemed to have much less strength and was struggling to do that. So I think it will depend on the individual where he goes. I think he was a great Hawk, but I think I need some time and separation from this season to unbiasedly put him in the All-Time Hawkeyes rankings.

I think something had to be going on this year (even if it was just weight cutting problems)...he just wasn't the same this year as his first 3. Sure, some great rising talent came up this year...but I would never have though McD was not going to place.

Regardless of where he ranks among the all time Iowa great - he is certainly still among them. Great career, even with this disappointing finish. I mean how many people in NCAA history, not only Iowa history, have been to 3 Finals and won 2.

Hats off to McD. I hope all is well and it wasn't anything long-term that caused things to end this way.

Isn't McD done? Redshirted, 1st as RS Fr, 2nd as RS So, 1st as RS Jr. and no AA RS Sr

----

Yes, he's done. I think some are having fun with past posts.

As far as his legacy, by the numbers, it will not be where many thought it would. But there is buzz about possible undisclosed injury or condition. Nothing official, just rumor at this point.

If it turns out there was some significant injury, it would elevate him in many fans' eyes, similar to the way that M* was when he AA'd two weeks after major knee injury. One can imagine keeping an injury secret, to prevent opponents from taking advantage. But now that season is over, maybe we'll find out more. I'm not going to prejudge, but my suspicion is there probably was something. To have that kind of dropoff because "everyone else learned his style" ... I don't believe that.