Sign in to follow this  
BigApple

Best Throwers

It seems to be a lost art. I started going to NCAA championships in 1962, haven't made all of them, but most of them.

The ones that come to mind are

Wade Schalles (usually a counter)

Johnny Johnson No. illinois he suplayed 4 of 5 opponents at the 1973 championships at 190 pounds. He suplayed Greg Strobel early in the first period. As Greg said the fat lady was warming up her pipes. Fortunately for Greg the first period ended, then he got on top with his lumberjack arms and went onto win

Randy Lewis

Ricky Dellegatta

Johnny Selmon

Andre Metzger

Mark Schultz

Alan Gelageov

I'm sure Lewboo can add to the list and embellish

Some others that come to mind off the top of my head...

Kevin Jackson

Ed Banach

Lou Banach

Bruce B

recents:

Cole Konrad

Reece Humphrey

Kyle Dake

Joe Colon

DOesnt have an established pedigree yet but watchout for Sam Brooks. Constantly in upper body positions and attacking them.

I've been trying to find a video of Reece Humphrey attempting to throw Dake at nationals Dake's freshman year. I thought Dake was a goner but that was before I realized how freakishly good he is.

I've been trying to find a video of Reece Humphrey attempting to throw Dake at nationals Dake's freshman year. I thought Dake was a goner but that was before I realized how freakishly good he is.

that match is exactly what made me think to put them on the list

I searched for it immediately after seeing the opening post. This is the best I could find:

2010NCAASemis0147.JPG

http://www.tech-fall.com/2010CLG/images/2010NCAASemis0150.JPG

Also:

http://www.tech-fall.com/2010CLG/images/2010NCAASemis0169.JPG

Among recents, there's Wright, Humphrey, Gelogaev and Frayer. I don't think any of the other recents mentioned belong on the list. Just because you caught a guy once or twice in your college career doesn't suddenly make you a stellar thrower.

Here's a good one of Frayer against the Russian at Times Square. http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/24 ... mes-Square

Internationally, the first prize goes to Wilfred Dietrich of Germany.

Other great ones were Sergei Belaglazov, Simeon Shterev, and Jim Scherr for this awesome pancake:

not sure if you call a pancake a throw...but I like to point out that two of the greatest upsets in US wrestling history were won with pancakes thrown by Jim Scherr and Doug Blubaugh.