Sign in to follow this  
pennsyrules

Pa States AA

How about any updates or comments regarding the state tournament from those in the know! We all know about Nolf, Marsteller, Haines, etc. Who are young kids to watch, possible upsets, etc. What can be interesting about these posts are you get people from all over the state who might be able to pick out some diamonds in the rough. I will start with a couple from the Northeast Regional AA. Brian Courtney has had an excellent season. Undefeated at 106. Has placed in the PJW's for the past 3-4 years(i think lost to AAA Moran in the pjw 3rd-4th place bout). Courtney does not appear to have wrestled the toughest schedule however with a win at NY's Canandaigua Tournament his toughest competition(until the post season).

145 Billy Barnes is also undefeated but unfortunately runs into Nolf(if he makes it that far).

How about any updates or comments regarding the state tournament from those in the know! We all know about Nolf, Marsteller, Haines, etc. Who are young kids to watch, possible upsets, etc. What can be interesting about these posts are you get people from all over the state who might be able to pick out some diamonds in the rough. I will start with a couple from the Northeast Regional AA. Brian Courtney has had an excellent season. Undefeated at 106. Has placed in the PJW's for the past 3-4 years(i think lost to AAA Moran in the pjw 3rd-4th place bout). Courtney does not appear to have wrestled the toughest schedule however with a win at NY's Canandaigua Tournament his toughest competition(until the post season).

145 Billy Barnes is also undefeated but unfortunately runs into Nolf(if he makes it that far).

Doesn't Barnes have a ridiculous percentage of pins, or is that someone else?

I am having a very difficult time finding information on the actual schedule of events for this. All I can find is the dates of the tournament and cant find what time each individual round starts. Can someone post a link with this information or let me know where to find it. Thank you.

Upcoming Tournament Schedules

PIAA AA & AAA Individual Championships

at Giant Center, Hershey, PA -- Original Bracket Link

Thursday, Mar. 6

9:00 am - AA Preliminaries, 1st-Round Consolations

4:00 pm - AAA Preliminaries, 1st-Round Consolations

Friday, Mar. 7

9:00 am - AA Quarterfinals, 2nd-Round Consolations

1:30 pm - AAA Quarterfinals, 2nd-Round Consolations

6:30 pm - AA Semifinals, 3rd/4th-Round Consolation

Saturday, Mar. 8

9:00 am - AAA Semifinals, 3rd/4th-Round Consolations

2:00 pm - AA Finals (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th)

7:00 pm - AAA Finals (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th)

Doesn't Barnes have a ridiculous percentage of pins, or is that someone else?

Barnes is 39-0 with 24 pins and only 4 regular decisions. He's a JR and supposedly leaning toward Lehigh.

I don't think he'll beat Nolf, but he at least makes a worthy showcase finals opponent.

Just to clarify: Haines and Marsteller are AAA, not AA.

Courtney at both districts and regionals beat Brian Friery, who was the #1 ranked AA 106 heading into the postseason.

Probably the most underrated, and maybe the best AA likely final is 160: Preisch vs. Bova. They finished 2nd and 3rd last year, with Preisch losing to Austin Matthews one round earlier. Both are SR D1 recruits, Bova to Lock Haven, Preisch to Lehigh. Bova is undefeated. Preisch has 2 losses -- at 170, to Myles Martin and Josh Llopez at the Beast. Preisch also beat Jon Jay Chavez at Flonats.

Mike Carr from South Fayette is a sophomore who went undefeated so far this year at 132. He made it to states last year and lost in the first round, but he has improved a lot this year.

Carr definitely got the better draw. Only Keith Batkowski seems a decent challenger before the finals.

The other half features 3 SR returning placers and D1 recruits. Undefeated Ian Brown (Princeton pickup) vs. returning runner-up Ryan Easter (headed to Bloomsburg) in the quarters, winner gets Austin Harry (Army) in the semis.

Mike Carr from South Fayette is a sophomore who went undefeated so far this year at 132. He made it to states last year and lost in the first round, but he has improved a lot this year.

Carr definitely got the better draw. Only Keith Batkowski seems a decent challenger before the finals.

The other half features 3 SR returning placers and D1 recruits. Undefeated Ian Brown (Princeton pickup) vs. returning runner-up Ryan Easter (headed to Bloomsburg) in the quarters, winner gets Austin Harry (Army) in the semis.

I saw that and figured Carr would get to the finals at least.

Brown is signed to Lehigh

Question about Nolf. Is he effective from top against the best guys? In the few times Ive watched him, he likes to release to neutral. Just wondering about his mat skills. Is he going to be another Dylan Alton type with better technique and a bigger gas tank?