Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

Devin Carter cleared to compete at ACC Championships!

And no offense to Carter but he isn't a 2x finalist coming off of an undefeated sophomore season. Carter is up a weight, coming off of a redshirt season and is a 1 xAA placing 5th 2 years ago at 133. Comparing him to Howe in ANY way is just NOT RIGHT. Howe took 3rd because he was simply THAT GOOD. I really like Carter and think at 100% healthy and having full time to train and peak physically he could be a finalist. However, there is NO way he is 100% and his just being cleared does not give him NEAR enough time to get his timing and conditioning to the peak levels necessary to compete at the 3 day grind that the NCAA tournament is. If he even AA's it will be an AMAZING accomplishment.

I saw Carter get injured at Cliff Keen, he was leading by a wide margin and held on to win. He loses this year if he can't wrestle at the NCAAs. So if he's clearly medically I don't see a downside, he can go out an wrestle with abandon, no one is expecting anything from him. Now the question, he won't get seeded, so who is the guy that draws him in the 1st round? That could have a big impact on some team.

From the VT athletics website regarding medical redshirts.

For a student-athlete to receive a Medical Hardship Waiver per Bylaw 14.2.4, the following four conditions must be met:

The student-athlete may not have participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of the team's completed contests/dates of competition.

The injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the season.

The injury or illness does not have to occur during practice/competition, but it must be incapacitating.

Appropriate medical documentation must exist and be provided.

Seeing as Carter wrestled at more than two contests (hokie duals, CKLV, etc.) he isn't eligible for the medical shirt. On top of that, he's already used his regular shirt.

And he would need to have used his redshirt year due to season ending injury. The hardship is the wrestler having lost two complete years to injury and the NCAA is willing to grant the sixth year to compete four because injury, not choice, completely ended the ability to compete those years. The medical documentation is rigorous, and an MD would need to sign off on him not being cleared to compete through the end of the year. Assuming Carter's RS year was for injury, the fact he is going to wrestle indicates an MD wouldn't likely sign off on him not being able to compete by the end of the year anyway.

Now whether he is going to be in great shape and sharp, or whether this is a wise "risk"? That's for him and the coaches. I'm assuming he is able to handle whoever has been replacing him (or someone is getting the short end).

And no offense to Carter but he isn't a 2x finalist coming off of an undefeated sophomore season. Carter is up a weight, coming off of a redshirt season and is a 1 xAA placing 5th 2 years ago at 133. Comparing him to Howe in ANY way is just NOT RIGHT. Howe took 3rd because he was simply THAT GOOD. I really like Carter and think at 100% healthy and having full time to train and peak physically he could be a finalist. However, there is NO way he is 100% and his just being cleared does not give him NEAR enough time to get his timing and conditioning to the peak levels necessary to compete at the 3 day grind that the NCAA tournament is. If he even AA's it will be an AMAZING accomplishment.

Yeah, it may have seemed like I was comparing the two but was just comparing the two injuries. I agree Howe was that good. Amazing what he did that year.

This year's 141 is a good deal deeper than 165 was in 2011.

I think 141 is really weak outside of the top 3 wrestlers this year. 165 was not that strong that year but it was just as deep outside as 141 is this year outside the top 3 or 4.

Agreed...I'd be shocked to see him AA. Going 2-2 would a hell of an accomplishment...

This year's 141 is a good deal deeper than 165 was in 2011.

I think 141 is really weak outside of the top 3 wrestlers this year. 165 was not that strong that year but it was just as deep outside as 141 is this year outside the top 3 or 4.

141 has several returning AA's...Steiber (moving up though), Dardanes, Ugi, Henderson, Nevinger, Port...throw in Retheford, Mecate, Dwieza, Lazor, Vaith, Durso...I'm sure I'm missing some guys...Devin will have his hands full.

Reminds me a bit of DSJ two years ago, with the caveat that 141 this year is a lot deeper than 157 was two years ago.

Nah, St. John never stopped wrestling all season..

Do your research. St. John got hurt in early Dec. against Bonin (you should know this) and missed two months, including the Midlands. It was questionable whether he would be able to return for the toournaments, but he did and won the Big Tens and finished second to Dake at the nationals.

Reminds me a bit of DSJ two years ago, with the caveat that 141 this year is a lot deeper than 157 was two years ago.

Do your research. St. John got hurt in early Dec. against Bonin (you should know this) and missed two months, including the Midlands. It was questionable whether he would be able to return for the toournaments, but he did and won the Big Tens and finished second to Dake at the nationals.

Ooh...weee, do my research, eh? Did St. John return for the first time since the injury at the Big 10's?

Giddy on, boy, duck call makers is on!

I don't think Spjut earned one. I think it was Henderson, Spisak, Speno, Brown, Bright

What he said, except I don't just "think".

Interestingly, Speno was the last man to earn a bid for his conference, so even if Carter had been submitted for consideration for Virginia Tech at 141, it would not have resulted in another spot for the ACC.

Ooh...weee, do my research, eh? Did St. John return for the first time since the injury at the Big 10's?

Giddy on, boy, duck call makers is on!

You said DSJ didn't stop wrestling all season. He missed two months. You were wrong. Now, if you had said DSJ was able to wrestle in a couple duals before the B1G tournament you would have been correct. But you didn't, so you weren't.

You said DSJ didn't stop wrestling all season. He missed two months. You were wrong. Now, if you had said DSJ was able to wrestle in a couple duals before the B1G tournament you would have been correct. But you didn't, so you weren't.

Nonsense, and, nor do I care.

Giddy on, boy, Nascar is on!

Not sure what the NASCAR comment is about since I've never watched a race in my life but since you didn't refute my post I am going to take that as you know that you were wrong but refuse to admit it.

Gee, how will I EVER live it down and recapture my repuertation, due to possibly being wrong on a rasslin forum?! Why, with such a band of interlects that reside in here, I can never show my face again! :cry:

Good God, please save me!