Sign in to follow this  
gmdband

What doesn't freestyle have a 1 pt. escape?

This has always puzzled me. Wrestling is sort of a combat sport and it is only natural that if one wrestler (combatant) was in the bottom position, he would try to escape or get a reversal. To me, it would make freestyle more exciting in the sense that the bottom man could actively try to escape as well as just flatten out and wait for 30 seconds to go by with no score. Adding a 2 pt. reversal would be even better because it would increase the action (possibly add risk of back exposure for the bottom wrestler but overall more action).

Been tried and failed. Reason being is some top Fs techniques involve releasing the opponent after the turn and asking referees to distinguish between these and legitimate escapes is too confusing. Anyway trying to escape with a gut wrench lock is usually an invitation to getting thrown.

FILAs stated reason for keeping reversals at 1 pt is they want to encourage risk taking on top. It's my suspicion that those countries with great chest and crotch throws (ie Russia) also don't want the common throw-and-flatten-out sequence to be called 2-2.

Been tried and failed. Reason being is some top Fs techniques involve releasing the opponent after the turn and asking referees to distinguish between these and legitimate escapes is too confusing. Anyway trying to escape with a gut wrench lock is usually an invitation to getting thrown.

FILAs stated reason for keeping reversals at 1 pt is they want to encourage risk taking on top. It's my suspicion that those countries with great chest and crotch throws (ie Russia) also don't want the common throw-and-flatten-out sequence to be called 2-2.

You make a good point. Nonetheless, having the bottom wrestler spread eagled facing down just waiting for the 30-second clock to expire is BORING to watch. With the new marketing effort toward making wrestling more exciting, it seems as if they could come up with something better for the bottom guy to do.

You make a good point. Nonetheless, having the bottom wrestler spread eagled facing down just waiting for the 30-second clock to expire is BORING to watch. With the new marketing effort toward making wrestling more exciting, it seems as if they could come up with something better for the bottom guy to do.

30 seconds to work par terre? I wish!

the college forum is one click away. a guy on bottom who just lays there will end up getting teched.

the college forum is one click away. a guy on bottom who just lays there will end up getting teched.

You must have missed the Big 12 final between Howe & Perry; Howe's flattening out and doing nothing but trying to keep his arms tucked in earned him two stalemate calls.

I like your style with the college forum line though.