Sign in to follow this  
sansbarksdale

Dirk Cowburn

David Taylor. We have debated on these boards previously about how long top programs will continue to get blue chip recruits to line up behind each other in the hope of starting. Penn State has a bunch of kids who may never start and are probably good enough to start for alot of other DI teams. I believe those of you who think these kids just "want to be part of the program" and are ok with working their ass off with very little chance of ever wrestling, have probably never wrestled at the college level. I think you will start seeing some kids seriously considering this when looking at Penn State(and other loaded programs).

Look, the top kids(and Cowburn was in that group) are still very confident in their abilities and he probably thought he could beat the likes of Taylor and Alton. I am talking about some other kids who are very tough but not likely to unseat the likes of a Taylor, Dake, Ruth, Megaludis, etc. They may decide to try their luck elseware.

^^^If Cowburn currently had the desire to wrestle Div I, he could stay out for wrestling at Penn State and start his senior year at 165. David Taylor's a year ahead of him. I wish Cowburn the very best beyond the sport of wrestling and, at the same time, do hope that perhaps he might return to the mats after he takes some time off. We shall see.

Thanks for helping to make my point. He would need to train all this year as well as all next year behind Taylor without the chance of starting(assuming Taylor stays healthy). Then he would have to go for a 5th year in school for his opportunity. Money, time, and alot of effort for one chance two years from now. Cowburn would be competing at almost any other DI program in the country. The good news is he will have a Penn State Education which is a plus.