Sign in to follow this  
Holtfan

You make the call...

Also in the early pictures it looks as if he is also pulling down on the arm, so, while it might have looked dramatic in real-time, not all the pressure was being exerted on the head/neck.

I assume this was a non-call on the mat?

Looks legal from the photos since there is no twisting of the neck at all. Just a well-executed chin-whip. Compare the match photos above to the illegal neck wrench (twisting) photos in the rule book.

Looks legal to me. Just a simple neck wrench.

You're either flat wrong or used a poor choice of words. A neck wrench is always illegal (7-1-5l).

Well I wrestled in the early 2000's (and coached a middle school team for a few years after that) so perhaps it was legal then, or perhaps we are calling the same move something different. My guess would be the latter because we called it a neck wrench, but never truly twisted the neck.

If he grabs the chin and twists it it is an illegal move. If the wrestlers are in that position it is supposed to be stopped for potential danger. It happens so quickly that most refs won't stop it and they feel like the guy who shot might end up scoring so they let it continue.

Legal, no doubt.

Looks worse than it really feels... for a wrestler. The key word is wrestler. This is a rough sport and the athletes are conditioned to absorb this stuff. I doubt the guy getting whipped felt anything significant.

From photos here I would say legal. Doesn't look like there was a twisting of the neck. Hard to tell from the angles though.

I have no idea but I'm guessing it was called illegal and "cost" the kid the match? And from the venue, I'm going to guess this was a state tournament match?