Sign in to follow this  
LHN94

Perry vs Howe

I think Howe generally out wrestled Perry in that match. He obviously outwrestled him in the 3rd period. I also think the match was terribly ref'd. But with both of those things said, I don't think Howe was screwed.

Howe benefitted from 2 terrible stale mate calls in the 2nd period when he was laying, unmoving on his stomach, while Perry had both legs in working him over. Then Perry gets called for stalling in an obvious stalemate position at the end of the period (Howe stands up for the first time off a restart and Perry has legs in).

Howe goes super aggressive in the 3rd. Then the ref gives an escape/TD on an optional start that is overturned (probably correctly). Then Howe scores and lets him up, 2-2. Then Howe catches Perry trying to funk roll out of a single and they flop back and forth with Howe on top the whole time and Perry having his leg the whole time. I would have been fine with either call there, but in 100 college matches, that is called nothing either way 99 times.

Perry can only win that kind of ugly match. Howe can go aggressive from the 1st period with little fear but doesn't for some reason and sleep walks through a 1st period with a guy who wants a 0-0 1st period. I think Howe wrestled as bad as he could and had reasonable breaks go against him (and didn't take advantage of the breaks he got with the 2nd period restarts).

I highly doubt Perry can recreate that one, and he may have been more likely to win in 2 weeks if none of it happened. But I would not say Howe got screwed. Just that he out wrestled his opponent and got beat.

That was amazing. Two call reversals in the same match that takes two takedowns and two back points away from Howe. I give props to Perry for the 2nd period ride out. That was awesome, but it didn't matter what Howe did in the third. He had to take him down 4 times to get one takedown. I thought the review was as good idea, but how four officials could stare at that screen and screw it up that bad is amazing. It was like the blind leading the blind.

Perry came in with a plan and executed. He is very good at mat strategy. HOWE IS A TAKEDOWN MACHINE. I think the reversed calls were correct and the match was ultimately called correctly. No way those two take downs should have not been reversed.

I was there. 3rd period Howe knows he probably needs two takedowns and comes out aggressive. Optional start and Perry doesn't want to face him until they get to the edge being smart. He turns left. A complete 360 and Howe takes him down with a sweep single to the left. Perry has to turn and face for that sequence to unfold. That was a quick one two that was reversed. So we start again. Another quick single by Howe. Perry attempts a standing funk but is greeted with a knee to the chest. Howe controls the situation with Perry in near fall situation for at least a 3 count. And then it gets worse. Just say the refs decide that was Perry's funk so no control for Howe since he was grasping his ankle and fighting off his back. Perry gets to his stomach. Howe turns the situation into his move. A foot half. He takes Perry back to the same situation and puts him into a high bridge for at least another 3 count. That was howes move. If he doesn't get it the first time. He should have got it the second with back points. He put him in near fall criteria with a foot half and held him there. At any rate what a great scramble. The level of wrestling May have been to high for the officials to comprehend, they were two focused on the grasped ankle and failed to see how Andrew used that to his advantage

A lot of different opinions on the match. Hard to know who's right until a video comes out. I will say though that in general, I tend to trust a team of trained refs with the benefit of instant replay over some guy sitting in the stands. Reminds me of the standing reversal in the Dake v. Taylor Scuffle match.

Refs have been wrong though so we will see.

I thought the refs botched the first takedown by Howe when they reversed it. Perry had turned around just when Howe shot. That was clearly a takedown.

The funkroll/nearfall was dicier. I could see how either awarding the points or not could be reasonable, but I thought Howe demonstrated some control in the position, although it wasn't 100%.

Somebody answer me this: when a wrestler rides while making absolutely NO attempts to work for back points, isn't that considered stalling? I don't mind great rideouts, Perry put a saddle on Howe and rode him like a circus donkey, but I'm wondering why he didn't get slammed with a penalty point because Perry certainly wasn't working for back points. My beef is sometimes it's called stalling, sometimes not. Seemed like the referees were doing everything they could to help Perry.

Anyway it was a great match to watch. I loved the rideout in the 2nd period. Damn that was impressive as hell. I think Howe was robbed, but it wasn't Perry who robbed him it was the refs. Perry came in and wrestled his guts out and I think probably won over a lot of the wrestling fans out there.

Agreed on the stalling. Here was the sequence as called. Two legs in. Howes comes to his feet. Perry keeps legs in and makes no attempt to retunn. Stalemate. It happens again this time stalling. Perry knows he has to do something different the next time. It happens again. Perry does nothing again. No call and Perry finishes on top. The third no call was weird to me as it seemed that the referee had set a precedent by the way it was called the first two times, but at any rate, how many wrestlers can hold Andrew down for 2 minutes. That was pretty impressive, but it was clearly a hold down parallel ride from start to finish, and I know it is different than high school since riding time is a factor, but the third no call was interesting

The boos were overwhelming after the match. Perry was clearly shook up during the interview, saying all he wants to do is win and the fans hate him. I don't think the fans were booing Perry, he wrestled a great match, the fans were booing the referees. John Smith in his interview said Perry would have to wrestle better next time against Howe to win, so I think even John Smith knows who really won. Still that was a fantastic rideout by Perry. It's not his fault the referees didn't award a stalling point to Howe.

I think there were plenty of fans booing Perry, not just the refs. As someone without a real preference for the outcome, it was hard to see Howe lose that one.

You are probably right. Still I think a real wrestling fan should appreciate what Perry did out on the mat. The referees blew that match for Howe. It wasn't as if Perry was cheating or anything, Perry wrestled his guts out.

I think there were plenty of fans booing Perry, not just the refs. As someone without a real preference for the outcome, it was hard to see Howe lose that one.

You are probably right. Still I think a real wrestling fan should appreciate what Perry did out on the mat. The referees blew that match for Howe. It wasn't as if Perry was cheating or anything, Perry wrestled his guts out.

I didn't say I thought Howe won. I just said it was tough to see him lose like that. Beating Howe, with or without refs helping, is certainly an achievement, so I'm not taking anything away from Perry. But his style against the top guys is very hard to root for.

Nobody was booing Perry. They were booing the officials which clearly helped him win. But if the officials aren't going to make him wrestle, why should he? The ride out wins him the match if he can survive the third and with officiating help, he survives the third. He did exactly what any other wrestler would have done given that situation.. I feel bad for the wrestlers and officials involved in this match. Nobody wants to be a part of something like this. But officiating is part of the game. It has happened before, and it will happen again.

Maybe it is karma. I thought Oliver got robbed vs steiber a few years back. Now OSU gets one they shouldn't have. But wait until you see the replay. It was agree at match that was a joy to watch if we can just appreciate the two wrestlers, what each was able to do, and ignore the points