Sign in to follow this  
KR1963

DT interview on FLO: pre-NWCA match vs Dake

Thanks for posting. Interesting comments in that interview. My take on it.....for whatever that is worth...

1. DT turned the question about the Dake match at team trials into a an assessment of his approach to that tourney rather than making any commentary about KD or the specific match. Good way to handle the question IMO.

2. DT chose his words carefully about team trials being careful not to put down any other wrestler while still making it clear that he did not prepare himself properly for the tourney (psychologically, physically and/or free-style prep). Seemed to use it as a learning experience rather than going to truly compete. Seems that KD took a different approach. Gotta believe the Burroughs factor contributed to this mind set.

3. Made it clear that he is targeting the 2016 Olympics (as expected). Acknowledged the fact that he would hit KD many more times between now and then.

4. Seems to expect KD to be at 165 all year, this year. Awesome. Made reference to Southern Scuffle and potentially hitting him there.

Disappointment in the interview...

1. Interviewer should have pressed harder about how DT thought his style would contrast with KD and how he thought the match might play out this weekend as well as in Jan and Mar.

2. Surprised he did not ask him about Ed Ruth not participating in the event. DT made multiple references to his teammates also being in the tourney. Would have liked to hear DT's perspective on why ER declined (assuming he did).

3. Would have like to hear commentary about previous DT vs DK folkstyle matches. From what I understand they have wrestled when they were much younger.

Again, thanks for posting. I sure hope the streaming holds up Sat night so we can all see this live.

I don't think DT is that excited about Dake...honestly.

I completely disagree. I think he made it clear that he is very exicited, but he also understands that it is only a pre-season match up, no matter how much hype there is.

He fully expects to be battling Dake all year at 165, so it is no surprise that he isn't jumping off of his seat at this pre season match.

I don't think DT is that excited about Dake...honestly.

I completely disagree. I think he made it clear that he is very exicited, but he also understands that it is only a pre-season match up, no matter how much hype there is.

He fully expects to be battling Dake all year at 165, so it is no surprise that he isn't jumping off of his seat at this pre season match.

Very eerie how both men are similarly approaching the event and the season.

This is what separates the greats of the sport from great wrestlers in general.

IMO .. this could be a rerun of the Caldwell / Metcalf season. Trading "body blows" to each other all season long till the final match at the NCAA's. He sounds very level headed, and appears to be looking forward to the challenge.

No question DT got schooled during the summer, yet i'm looking forward to them on the mat in collegiate style.