Sign in to follow this  
djd5391

Stallgado

In the situation, the guy running is stalling. You're not setting the other guy up if he isn't following you. You have no obligation to follow him. Also, my point is that Mega can't score on the edge, so he shouldn't stay there and permit Delgado to run time off the clock hugging on the edge. Shove Delgado off, stop the clock and get back to the middle. I mean, I watched Gable-era wrestlers do this to Okie State for decades. It's not rocket science.

That may very well be true, but if the refs don't call it stalling, it's not stalling.

Mega may not be able to score on the edge, but he also can't score without being close or tying up, and Delgado won't let him when he feels he's in danger. I think you're oversimplifying things. As a former guy who was not as mobile as some of my opponents, I understand very well what Megaludis is going through. He is simply wrestling a guy who is quicker and shiftier from the feet, which forces him to engage to slow him down, which creates the opportunity for Delgado to do what he keeps doing.

I agree with you that it's Megaludis's fault that he keeps falling for the same trap, but I just don't know what he could be doing that's that different. The Gable era guys benefitted from two things Megaludis doesn't: (1) there were very, very few refs who could withstand Gable yelling "STALLING!!!" in their face for more than a minute or two... and (2) they were generally better conditioned than their opponents, and significantly so. Cael is not Gable and Mega is not better conditioned than Delgado.

Agreed that if the ref doesn't call it, it isn't stalling. All I'm saying is there is no way Mega gets tagged for stalling for pushing Delgado out on the edge in neutral or failing to follow a retreating Delgado to the edge. Following this strategy would not necessarily given Mega the benefit of a stalling call against Delgado but it would have given Mega a better chance to control the match on his own terms. Instead, Mega let Delgado dictate the match by repeatedly following Delgado to the edge and tying up there, giving himself a very low probability of scoring from neutral. Above you said I was oversimplifying things. I think I would be oversimplifying things if I were saying that Mega would have WON had he followed this strategy and executed these tactics. But that's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying that there was at least one way to limit or even negate the effectiveness of Delgado's strategy and thereby limit or negate the edge Delgado created by following that strategy, but instead of doing that Mega just did exactly what Delgado expected and wanted him to do.

Well in the semis Delgado did the same to Clark. Clark shot and had the ankle at least 3 times in the 3rd period but didn't finish and if refs would be consistent in calling the stalemates some do quick some let them go forever.

As as backing to the edge of the mat don't go after him , go back to the center if he doesn't come the crowd will let the officals know about it. Sometimes you to make the other guy look like he is a ***** and maybe then the officals will call stalling.