Sign in to follow this  
lu_alum

Seed 141 - Carter is back

#1 Port

#2 Stieber

Retherford / Carter

PSU will argue Carter deserves the three seed.

Well let me be the first.

While he doesn't deserve the 3 seed, if the NCAA wants to seed Carter 3rd I will not bytch about it.

I think bottom line is Carter was #3 before his injury. Carter comes back and wins the ACCs in his first showing back on the mat. That will make the seeding "committee" take notice.

Carter will get the 3 seed over Retherford

OR

The committee will seed him #6, putting him in the other side of the bracket from Steiber. Hard to see a conference champ (who was #3) on the same side as Stieber and give Retherford the "better" path to the finals.

#1 Port

#2 Stieber

Retherford / Carter

Penn State can argue that all they want, but they have no representation on the committee. The five remaining people on the committee (Virginia Tech Associate AD Jon Jaudon has to leave the room the instant that discussion comes up) will decide that for themselves.

had cory clark been in a different conference would he be deserving of the number 1 seed? the answer is no and this would also be the reason carter should be number 4. injuries happen and it sucks for the guy that didnt compete much, but you can't reward a guy that is undefeated when missing most of the season.

port 1

stieber 2

retherford 3

carter 4

I think bottom line is Carter was #3 before his injury. Carter comes back and wins the ACCs in his first showing back on the mat. That will make the seeding "committee" take notice.

Carter will get the 3 seed over Retherford

OR

The committee will seed him #6, putting him in the other side of the bracket from Steiber. Hard to see a conference champ (who was #3) on the same side as Stieber and give Retherford the "better" path to the finals.

Your first scenario makes a little sense, although I think he does not deserve #3. But your second scenario makes zero sense. He gets discussed as a possible 3 and then, all of a sudden, he's 6 because people pity him enough to move him away from Stieber? No.

Putting Carter on the other side of the bracket from Stieber (if he were to be the #1 seed) wouldn't be out of pity for Carter. On the contrary, it would be out of respect to Stieber (or whomever the #1 seed is). Why should the #1 guy have to go through a highly ranked conference champ when the #2 guy doesn't?

The #1 seed has earned the right for the path of least resistance. The #1 guy should get the guy who didn't win his conference rather than the #2 guy.

If not for a loss to Retherford--whom Logan just beat--and Port never wrestled--Stieber is ahead of Port in every measure of dominance. And Retherford only has one loss. So, it's not as if he's some outlier that pulled a big upset. Logan has a higher pct bonus wins, more impressive wins and two national titles plus a tougher schedule. This whole "Port is the #1 seed" thing is only sensible in the abstract. Nothing against Port--he's tough. But no way he touches Logan. He belongs #2 or #3 with Retherford. Put Carter #4.

If not for a loss to Retherford--whom Logan just beat--and Port never wrestled--Stieber is ahead of Port in every measure of dominance. And Retherford only has one loss. So, it's not as if he's some outlier that pulled a big upset. Logan has a higher pct bonus wins, more impressive wins and two national titles plus a tougher schedule. This whole "Port is the #1 seed" thing is only sensible in the abstract. Nothing against Port--he's tough. But no way he touches Logan. He belongs #2 or #3 with Retherford. Put Carter #4.

I agree with everything you said except where Port should be seeded, which is #1.

This is why I started the thread asking for details about how seeding works.

It is my understanding that Logan could have 100 NCAA titles but none of them would matter for seeding, that seeding at NCAAs is all about this year and this year only. It's also my understanding that record is the #1 criteria (assuming you wrestle a respectable number of matches). Strength of schedule and bonus wins are part of the equation, but I am not sure they trump being undefeated. I've kidded a lot about Port's JV schedule, but it's not as if he hasn't faced any top guys either. Granted, he has yet to face his top two competitors, but... he is undefeated.

I agree. Stieber gets the # 2 seed. The bigger question is more around the # 3 and 4 seeds.

Retherford 3 because he beat Stieber once and Carter took most of the year off and wrestled a JV schedule when he was wrestling at all. Carter gets 4.

If by JV schedule you mean wins over the

Current intermat rankings:

Port was out with his own injury the first time VT wrestled Edinboro

#4 Mecate (9-3)

#9 Vaith (by pin)

#15 Bright (6-1)

#16 Spisak X2 (16-6, 14-11*match he was injured in)

Tech falled Brown who had a 5-0 win over #11 Nevinger.

Placed above #10 Henderson at ACCs. I don't really consider that a JV schedule however I still think Retherford should be #3 right now due to his own season and win of Steiber so I would agree with you on that.

#1 Port

#2 Stieber

Retherford / Carter

Penn State can argue that all they want, but they have no representation on the committee.

True, but the seeding committee normally considers the following criteria in the order indicated:

1.) Opinions of Internet Posters

2.) Most Recent Head-to-Head Results

3.) Wrestler with Best-Looking Girlfriend/Wife

4.) Results vs. Common Opponents

5.) What's Most Likely to Irk Iowa fans

6.) Highest Returning All-American