Andrew Church vs. Brandon Phillips

184-

Ed Ruth vs. Wes Phipps

197-

Morgan McIntosh vs. Scott Syrek

HWT-

Jimmy Lawson vs. Jon Gingrich

See the lineup shaping up nicely:

125 - Megaludis (backups could be any at 133 who can cut the weight)

133 - This looks stacked with a likely winner in Martellotti with strong backup support by Conaway and Waters and Gulibon redshirts. Not too shabby when your 5th guy was a Nebraska state champ in Nate Morgan.

141 - Hard to say who has improved the most over the off season. Pearsall always improves, Reber and Beitz are tough hombres. I'm not very familiar with Moran.

149 - Heard A. Alton is out with ankle sprain for four weeks. Both English and Beitz are solid. Should be a good match tonight at this weight.

157 - With D. Alton at the classic this should detemine the backups for 157 and 165.

165 - Go Taylor!

174 - Looks like Brown to start and Church to be a strong backup.

184 - Ruuuuuutttthhhh.

197 - Wright at the classic, Morgan will take this matchup but Syrek will become the backup at 197.

285 - This is quite the matchup. My prediction is Lawson, but I really don't have the slightest idea about the outcome of this match.

Looking like a tough lineup in the making with the potential to AA in almost every weight class with a few NCs in the mix.

In terms of the starters:

Matt Brown gets the pin. Gave up a takedown and flipped out and immediately pinned his opponent.

Ed Ruth the tech fall.

Both look dominant, but Ruth looks un-stoppable, literally. Bigger, better, stronger than last year, with a nasty, nasty standing tilt w. which he scored 10 of his 24 pts.

Conaway over Martelotti, 5-1. Looked good, but concern is a little undersized to be elite at that weight. An improvement over Martelotti who had confidence issues.

Pearsall barely gets by Beitz. A little mentally stronger than the true freshman in the last 30 seconds of the match.

Morgan McIntosh is one of my favorite wrestlers.

He's red-shirting and wasn't wrestling anyone special, but . . .

what a diff. a year makes -- bigger, stronger, more physical and a lot less tentative.

Lawson and Gingrich didn't show much early, but put on a barn burner of a third pd., with Lawson pulling out a 3-2 win on a nice scramble at the end.

Apparently, Gingrich beat Lawson by a point in the room, on a clasped hands call.

So they're both pretty close to one another.

Lawson looks a lot more solid physically than he did in highschool, but showed rust from not having wretled in 2 years, as was expected.

On the plus side, he howed some real nice movement and quickness for a big man.

Could be a handful.

Morgan McIntosh is one of my favorite wrestlers.

He's red-shirting and wasn't wrestling anyone special, but . . .

what a diff. a year makes -- bigger, stronger, more physical and a lot less tentative.

I'm sure Morgan had a few doubts about moving so far from home for the experience he had last season. He went through a meat grinder as a true freshman and really took one for the team. By the time he fills in to a true beast of a 197 pounder he'll be THE force at that weight. Cael, Varner, Wright and Ruth are definitely people he can learn from and who will be able to test a guy like McIntosh. I think he'll appreciate more and more with every championship he wins how he made the right move. I sometimes wonder about some of the decisions young wrestler make and whether they regret or wish they made another choice. Eric Grajales was one of them but I think he's finally grown into the 149 weight class and will have an awesome season. Morgan McIntosh was another. I felt bad for him last season. I think he's going to do very well going forward with his collegiate career.

I appreciate the optimism at 133 and 141 but don't think they are AA capable unless Guilbon comes off his redshirt. They are good team guys but I don't see them punching through unless they close the gap quick. I would never say never but I don't see it.

I like MM alot. I like the way the kid wrestles and PSU fits him. I don't compare him to Grajales only because many feel Grajales's attitude is the biggest thing in his way. If he can't put the whole package in place now that he is a full 149'er with no nonsense hanging over him then he has no excuses. Michigan has a great staff and an improving room. I have a tough time seeing how most Big 10 schools could ever be the wrong choice.