Dan Gable VS Andre The Giant

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Morris

Tom Morris
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

Is it true that Dan Gable wrestled Andre The Giant in an exhibition match in NYC and Dan won 4-2, in 1979. I read it in a supermarket flyer and was wondering if there was any validity to the story.

#2 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:57 AM

I don't know about the veracity of that supposition.

Laurent Soucie told me ( when he was wrestling pro) that if Andre wanted to, he could just grasp your hand and crush every bone in it. That and the fella weighed upwards of 500 lbs....not sure Gable could trip him or even lift a leg off the ground.

Gable, wonderful an athlete and competitor as he was, surely did not bear the brunt of Andre's power. Sounds like a gimmick match.

#3 Tom Morris

Tom Morris
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Yeah I agree. Tough to know if you hear something if it is true or not. I googled it and got nothing, but I figured there is always a chance that something especially from the 70s might not necessarily make it to google. So I thought i'd take a shot and see if anyone on here had heard of it, but likely there is no validity to the story.

Yeah - Sounds like Tab Thacker would have been in Andre's weight class a lot more than Dan Gable would have!!

www.hockeycup.blogspot.com

#4 smittyfan

smittyfan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,808 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:42 AM

I'd love to hear the details of Schultz vs. Bear. Any takers?

#5 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

I have nothing on Schultz vs Bear.....but back in the 70s a fella named Ed Vatch from Wisconsin took on a bear:
(from the Guillotine)

Ed "the Bear " Vatch wrestled "Tuffie" the bear(Black Bear) when he was a wrestler at UW(Vatch, not Tuffie). He scouted him out and saw that he had a nice TD from standing straight up(called a bear hug I think), so he shot low and tipped the bear over(he'd been practicing on tipping over cows I think) and put the bear on its back where it waved its paws around. Ed wouldn't let go(see above on bears being bad losers) until the owner climbed in the ring and yelled in Ed's ear "let him up kid, the folks want to see a show."

So he let Tuffie up and started again. This time the bear wouldn't stand up(they are smart apparently) so Ed had to arm drag him to go behind. So now he's essentially riding(really riding) a 400 pound black bear who has no intentions of letting some microscopic human turn him over or even move him.

The owner called it a draw, gave Ed his money and told him to get the heck away from the premises.

P.S. Ed Vatch was a 2 time Big 10 Champion who beat Chris Campbell in the Big 10 finals the year Campbell got his first NCAA championship. Ed had bad knees and did not go to the NCAAs after the Big 10s

Ed Vatch was no one's "rest-stop". He also defeated a Russian World Silver Medalist in an exhibition dual in Madison once upon a time 1973. Ed also coached at Northern Illinois for quite a while.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?
nid=1350&dat=19730524&id=KNBOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_gEEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7361,5340580
  • rstrong likes this

#6 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,183 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:53 PM

I actually know the Schultz vs Bear story a little. 

I forget what world team it was, but it was before the 84 games.  I guess the world team was training either in Oklahoma or Iowa, I forget exactly, and the team went out to a bar/restaurant that had a contest if you could pin the bear they had chained up in a wrestling match you won I think $500.  Schultz took a crack at it, and they had it declawed and a muzzle on it so it wouldn't rip you to pieces.  He found that the contest was stacked in favor of the bar, because the rule was you had to pin both of the bear's paws to the ground, which because of their anatomy isn't possible.  He tried but wasn't able to do it.  He said he felt bad for the bear because the owner/manager of the bar allegedly abused it, and shocked it with a taser to make it move and it had patches of missing fur.  Kind of a funny story, but sad for the animal.

• stp likes this
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#7 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:05 AM

Okay.... a reality check... Gable could have beaten Andre (and I am NOT a fan of Gable stories - Kemp beat him as a 18 year old). Andre wasn't a real wrestler, any coach (much less a Gable) has handled many the heavyweight. Andre could never get a grip, Gable would have gotten an angle, a duck, an angle pass, get a little balance, a trip, possibly cheap rolls, and win tech any style. Sure if a 500 hundred strong guy grips you, or lands flush you are screwed, but seriously..... do you think an all-time world class combat athlete would stand there and take it? Really?? 

Even an out of shape black bear can shatter a side view window with a slap, then grab and tear off a door of most cars (go to a Yosemite parking lot, happens all the time). I have seen more than one 250-350 bear (probably heavy as 350 as this was Yosemite and these bears needed a diet), cross my path after 'getting into trouble', 20 - 30 mph maybe. Humans beating bears is like cats beating dogs...... sure we have all seen a cat chase off a dog, but I have seen a cub coyote take out a bad azz feral cat who got stupid, and have seen a dog of mine take out two coyotes. Lets not get stupid... give me a motivated 80 pound dog you may live, even take down the dog, but I bet in the end the dog walks off and you are in the ER (been there done that - and it was just breaking up a dog fight - they wouldn't even stop with pepper spray). A motivated dog kills and shreds even the most bad azzed feral cat in seconds.

These sort of stupid threads used to be common on this forum..... I had hoped knowledgable people in the sport had gotten over all of that. I bet some of ya still think Bruce Lee could hop a 30 foot fence.

#8 Buckeyebison

Buckeyebison

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:35 AM

Dan Gable used to try to wrestle his teammate, 400 lbs. Chris Taylor. He wanted to see which techniques could best Chris Taylor. He could have used the same techniques with Andre the Giant. No idea if Dan found them.

Edited by Buckeyebison, 18 March 2015 - 02:45 AM.

#9 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,183 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

Andre in his prime, before the effects of his disease started to catch up with him was a very good athlete, very quick and good enough that the Redskins once offered him 1 million a year in the 70's to come play for them.  People also forget that Andre's entrance into professional wrestling, he was trained how to legitimately wrestle.  He was a carnival wrestler early on.  It also took Gable 30 minutes of wrestling Taylor before he got tired. A prime Andre probably had the same endurance, in a regulation match Gable would not beat Andre or Taylor.  Also Andre was incredibly strong, he wasn't just a big guy. Plus if you got him drunk he might hurt you.  There was a story about how in a bar some guys started loudly mocking him, saying wrestling wasn't real and he was a fake.  It escalated and one of them might have actually swung at him and he threw that guy out of the bar literally and chased the others to their car.  Then a drunken angry giant turned the car over with these guys trapped inside and walked away. As much as I admire and respect Gable, in a regulation 6 to 9 minute match he isn't going to beat Andre the Giant.  Maybe by the time Andre was breaking down physically in the early 80's he'd have a shot at it, but by then Andre had trouble walking and had numerous injuries and issues from his disease. 

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#10 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:02 AM

Andre in his prime, before the effects of his disease started to catch up with him was a very good athlete, very quick and good enough that the Redskins once offered him 1 million a year in the 70's to come play for them.  People also forget that Andre's entrance into professional wrestling, he was trained how to legitimately wrestle.  He was a carnival wrestler early on.  It also took Gable 30 minutes of wrestling Taylor before he got tired. A prime Andre probably had the same endurance, in a regulation match Gable would not beat Andre or Taylor.  Also Andre was incredibly strong, he wasn't just a big guy. Plus if you got him drunk he might hurt you.  There was a story about how in a bar some guys started loudly mocking him, saying wrestling wasn't real and he was a fake.  It escalated and one of them might have actually swung at him and he threw that guy out of the bar literally and chased the others to their car.  Then a drunken angry giant turned the car over with these guys trapped inside and walked away. As much as I admire and respect Gable, in a regulation 6 to 9 minute match he isn't going to beat Andre the Giant.  Maybe by the time Andre was breaking down physically in the early 80's he'd have a shot at it, but by then Andre had trouble walking and had numerous injuries and issues from his disease. 

Thank you.

SGallan, you are a bit delusional about this.  I'm pretty sure Gable, Burroughs, Kemp, Dake, DT whomever could NOT bring down a 6'11, 500 lb man as strong as the Giant if he didn't want to go down. He would just stand there and laugh as you tried a single leg, double leg or whatever.

Can you imagine YOUR HAND inside Andre's?

enhanced-5220-1395252730-14.jpg

For that matter, a guy as big and strong as Shaq wouldn't let our best middleweights take him down either.

#11 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=FdF8jlNc-7o

#12 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:34 AM

so, big guy tackles little guy, little guy gets to hit big guy in the head. not sure how germain this is to the aforementioned topic.

#13 denny

denny

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,732 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:42 AM

Thank you.

SGallan, you are a bit delusional about this.  I'm pretty sure Gable, Burroughs, Kemp, Dake, DT whomever could NOT bring down a 6'11, 500 lb man as strong as the Giant if he didn't want to go down. He would just stand there and laugh as you tried a single leg, double leg or whatever.

Can you imagine YOUR HAND inside Andre's?

enhanced-5220-1395252730-14.jpg

For that matter, a guy as big and strong as Shaq wouldn't let our best middleweights take him down either.

Is that an 8 oz ….a 12 oz ……..or perhaps even (heaven forbid) a 16 oz can ?

#14 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,823 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:21 AM

http://www.craziests...re-going-viral/

#15 HoundedHawk

HoundedHawk

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 357 posts