Sign in to follow this  
Big10fan

Taylor will go to 157 to wrestle Dake

I can't imagine Taylor cutting down to 157 just to prove he can beat Dake (if it's even realistic that he could make it). There's no reason for it except ego. I also can't imagine Cael letting it happen. There's nothing to be gained from a team or an individual perspective (again, except ego). Taylor doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. Now Dake on the other hand...I can see him bumping up just to leave his legacy as the only wrestler who won 4 times at 4 different weights. I would think he'd be satisified as a 4x NC regardless of weight class, but maybe I'm not competitive enough. 8-)

Perhaps Dake will feel like this is a personal challenge and decide to move up to 165 to oblige Mr. Taylor.

Can't see Dake not wanting to challenge himself against the defending Hodge Trophy winner.. It would be great for the sport as well.

I can't imagine Taylor cutting down to 157 just to prove he can beat Dake (if it's even realistic that he could make it). There's no reason for it except ego. I also can't imagine Cael letting it happen. There's nothing to be gained from a team or an individual perspective (again, except ego). Taylor doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. Now Dake on the other hand...I can see him bumping up just to leave his legacy as the only wrestler who won 4 times at 4 different weights. I would think he'd be satisified as a 4x NC regardless of weight class, but maybe I'm not competitive enough. 8-)

You must not know Taylor's history, he has asked to go against the best at different weights before.

I don't like this either. I have long thought Taylor could beat Dake, remains to be seen, but this would crowd those weights even more

I love the idea, but what about the 2 Altons. I don't think there is any way Andrew makes 141.

Don't think Taylor is suggesting he'd be at 157 all season... just a single instance to go after Dake. The most logical place for this to occur would be the So Scuffle. Don't think he'd do it at NCAAs. And PSU has not recently been willing to schedule a dual with Cornell.

I love the idea, but what about the 2 Altons. I don't think there is any way Andrew makes 141.

Don't think Taylor is suggesting he'd be at 157 all season... just a single instance to go after Dake. The most logical place for this to occur would be the So Scuffle. Don't think he'd do it at NCAAs. And PSU has not recently been willing to schedule a dual with Cornell.

Never thought of that, but a meeting at the Scuffle would make a lot of sense. Be great for ticket sales, too. Kudos to both guys if they're willing to do it, especially as they both would be jeopardizing perfect seasons (in all likelihood).

I am surprised that many think this is a bad idea. What could possibly be better for the sport than having the two premier collegiate wrestlers of the past 10-15 years go at it?

Good for the sport? Yes! Good for PSU? I don't know about that. It doesn't make that much sense for them. The only way it would be good would be if Andrew Alton could make 141 still and if Dylan could make 149 and then Brown makes 165 with Ruth and Wright staying where they are at. If all that could work without people killing themselves cutting weight, then that's one hell of a murderers row from 141-184. But without all those cuts, if Taylor goes 157, that leaves Dylan Alton in the cold or going 165, since Andrew is at 149.

Dake doesn't strike me as the kind of kid who runs from competition. Maybe I'm wrong, but he comes off as a gamer, if you will. He's the kind of kid that relishes the challenge. I would think that the opportunity to put his fourth title on the line and square off against guys like Taylor, Howe and Caldwell might be enticing to him.

I am surprised that many think this is a bad idea. What could possibly be better for the sport than having the two premier collegiate wrestlers of the past 10-15 years go at it.

Wow, I didn't realize Taylor and Dake surpassed Sanderson to be the two premier college wrestlers of the past 10 - 15 years, not to mention Burroughs, Askren, and Metcalf. Learn something new everyday.

One alternative, for the good of the sport, could be to have a meeting in the middle during the all-star classic. Even if it meant having an extra match. Have Dake go up a couple pounds and Taylor go down a couple pounds. Granted it wouldn't count on record, but it would be great for the sport with a lot to talk about it. It would keep everything in tact in terms of collegiate goals as well. I know it would be early season and neither may be at full strength, but I have a hard time believing those two wouldn't take it serious and train pretty hard as competitive as they are. Plus with both planning on getting into the Olympic trials and pushing for their 2013 collegiate goals they would probably be in pretty good form, even early on.

One alternative, for the good of the sport, could be to have a meeting in the middle during the all-star classic. Even if it meant having an extra match. Have Dake go up a couple pounds and Taylor go down a couple pounds. Granted it wouldn't count on record, but it would be great for the sport with a lot to talk about it. It would keep everything in tact in terms of collegiate goals as well. I know it would be early season and neither may be at full strength, but I have a hard time believing those two wouldn't take it serious and train pretty hard as competitive as they are. Plus with both planning on getting into the Olympic trials and pushing for their 2013 collegiate goals they would probably be in pretty good form, even early on.
+1. That's perfect...All Star match it is!