Sign in to follow this  
Big10fan

Taylor will go to 157 to wrestle Dake

Dake doesn't strike me as the kind of kid who runs from competition. Maybe I'm wrong, but he comes off as a gamer, if you will. He's the kind of kid that relishes the challenge. I would think that the opportunity to put his fourth title on the line and square off against guys like Taylor, Howe and Caldwell might be enticing to him.

While much remains to be decided, the Cornell team has plenty of options at 165 and not so many at 157.

I know I can't be the only one who things this is nonsense. This whole Taylor-Dake thing is getting old. I would love to see it but why in the world would Taylor cut to 157. I bet him and Dake are laughing about toying with us morons on these forums.

At 165, I think Taylor is the odds on favorite to beat Dake. If he cuts to 157, I'll take Dake all day long.

I watched St John vs. Taylor and then watched the recorded version of Dake / St. John and is there is little doubting that Dake had less trouble with St. John than Taylor did.

Now before I get killed, I know it is a year later and maybe Taylor is at a new level and St. john is not etc. I get it.

Also, I don't think Dake was ever in peak shape this year so I imagine if his gas tank was better he'd have pushed harder vs. St. John.

Last, Taylor at 157 makes no sense for PSU but Dake at 165 for CU does make sense.

At 165, I think Taylor is the odds on favorite to beat Dake. If he cuts to 157, I'll take Dake all day long.

I watched St John vs. Taylor and then watched the recorded version of Dake / St. John and is there is little doubting that Dake had less trouble with St. John than Taylor did.

Now before I get killed, I know it is a year later and maybe Taylor is at a new level and St. john is not etc. I get it.

Also, I don't think Dake was ever in peak shape this year so I imagine if his gas tank was better he'd have pushed harder vs. St. John.

Last, Taylor at 157 makes no sense for PSU but Dake at 165 for CU does make sense.

Which Taylor vs DSJ did you watch?

He beat him 3x last season.

12-4 Mdec

8-3 dec

6-3 dec

Dake won 4-1, not sure either Dake or Taylor was ever in danger of losing.

I understand his sentiment. A few scrambles in last year's NCAA could have put St John right in that match against Taylor...yet, lets not COMPARE an offenseless St John to a scorer such as Taylor.

WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THIS TOPIC.....is the little RESPECT people have for Dake's ability to wrestle a 1 pt match and or send it to a Fall. Anyone that thinks David Taylor would roll through Dake with a measured ankle pick/or Hi C....hasnt seen Kyle Dake score off other's shots. Anyone that thinks David Taylor will roll Dake's wrists and or crab/half him to his back....hasnt seen Dake wrestle from the bottom. More distressingly for Taylor is HOW/WHAT he will do being underneath Kyle Dake ??

CRAZY as it seems ...I cant even think how David Taylor scores any points against Dake.. unless given by Dake ???? IMO- he's not taking him down and he is not turning him. You guys give little credit to this 3X NCAA Champ's ability as a STUDENT of this Sport.

"Are we to believe that you have magic grits...." ???? (What Movie ?)

I know I can't be the only one who things this is nonsense. This whole Taylor-Dake thing is getting old. I would love to see it but why in the world would Taylor cut to 157. I bet him and Dake are laughing about toying with us morons on these forums.

I don't think anyone is talking about Taylor cutting to 157 for the season. Meet in the All Star match, a dual meet, tournament or something. It has a history to it. 3X champ Nate Carr bumped up to wrestle 3X Jim Zalesky. Askren bumped up to wrestle Roger Kish several years back.

Next year is the last chance for this to happen. Probable 4x champ wrestling a probable 3x champ with only 1 career loss.

I would have to say that many poster are discrediting BOTH wrestlers declaring one or the other as the "paper champ." We can go through hypotheticals all day long, but in the end we will never know until it happens, and we are not even sure it ever will.

Both guys are well rounded wrestlers, and have exceptional skills in all three positions. Also, both dominate their respective field. I think we are all very lucky to witness such a display of the sport.

Who would win? That is a hard one that I don't think any of us would bet our house on. Both guys are just too talented.

I hope we get to see the match, I would travel hours to watch 7 minutes!!!!!!!!!

I wonder how Dake would of done against a 100% St. John if he had to wrestle him 3 times in the span of 6 weeks like Taylor did. Certain posters want to keep comparing the last match between DT and St. John, but we all know as wrestling fans (or at least you should) that the gap usually closes the more times two guys wrestle. Fact is Taylor majored a healthy St. John the first time compared to a 4-1 win for Dake. Taking this one step further, if you line up all the common opponets at 157, Taylor comes out on top every time. Does this mean that Taylor would beat Dake, not necessarily, but it should temper these comparisons with St. John by Dake fans/Taylor detractors.

we get it you are a PSU fan. I assume that Dake will have a more accomplished college career than Taylor which does not make him the better wrestler but certainly a more distinctive record holder for posterity sake.

Dake is a better defensive wrestler than Taylor and Taylor is much better offensively than Dake. Hopefully, we get a glimpse of them going at it at some pt.

If these guys seriously do this, I think it would elevate their status beyond what their eventual credentials would indicate, no matter who wins or loses. Mark Schultz college career is remembered EXTRA favorably (and it was excellent already) because he went up and took out Banach. As a matter of fact, the situations are directly comparable. Taylor is Schultz, Dake is Banach. I hope Banach wins that time.

The thing about this is, Taylor (and Schultz) have relatively little to lose compared to Dake (and Banach). If Taylor loses (or if Schultz lost), people would remember that they chased greatness, but they were ultimately awesome. The difference between two and three titles is dwarfed by the difference between three and four, at least in my mind. Dake could lose (and Banach did lose) an extra piece of immortality by being 4 timers. It would add CRAZY drama. If it happened and the NCAA had ANY sense, they would make it the last final of the night. Unfortunately, it probably won't and they definitely don't. But just the possibility has me salivating as a wrestling fan.

David Taylor has a history of taking on a big name in another weight when he moved up a weight to take on Collin Palmer a few years back:

David Taylor's post match interview:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/23 ... r-match-up

Collin Palmer's post match interview:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/23 ... ylor-Match

Jeff Jordan describing how the match got setup:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/23 ... -vs-Palmer

The match:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/23 ... ris-Graham

Taylor goes down to 157 and he will lose bank on it. Be careful what you ask for. That's 8 more pounds and Dake is not small for the weight.

i agree. Not a good idea to cut down for this. If it happens at 165 with a bulked up Dake or at a catch weight at the All-Star Meet, it would be great. Taylor would have trouble making 157 and keeping his energy level, I think.

I understand his sentiment. A few scrambles in last year's NCAA could have put St John right in that match against Taylor...yet, lets not COMPARE an offenseless St John to a scorer such as Taylor.

WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THIS TOPIC.....is the little RESPECT people have for Dake's ability to wrestle a 1 pt match and or send it to a Fall. Anyone that thinks David Taylor would roll through Dake with a measured ankle pick/or Hi C....hasnt seen Kyle Dake score off other's shots. Anyone that thinks David Taylor will roll Dake's wrists and or crab/half him to his back....hasnt seen Dake wrestle from the bottom. More distressingly for Taylor is HOW/WHAT he will do being underneath Kyle Dake ??

CRAZY as it seems ...I cant even think how David Taylor scores any points against Dake.. unless given by Dake ???? IMO- he's not taking him down and he is not turning him. You guys give little credit to this 3X NCAA Champ's ability as a STUDENT of this Sport.

"Are we to believe that you have magic grits...." ???? (What Movie ?)

Would be a very interesting match. Dake would try to slow down Taylor's offense, but I don't see Dake scoring on Taylor offensively either. I do think Taylor could pick him, and that's really the only way I see Dake getting taken down. Bad match up for Dake, IMO. Don't see either turning the other, both are exceptional on the mat. Taylor would be wise not to try to get into any wreckless scrambles against Dake like he did against DSJ last year. Dake would capitalize on that, where DSJ couldn't. DT looked like he had grown out of that stuff this year though. Dake's most impressive match to me this year was against Dietchler. Dietchler was right there with the top guys at 157 this year, beat Alton the third placer. Dake showed great defense and scramble ability, Dietchler gave him all he could handle though. And I think that's Dake greatest asset is to find a way to win those battles. And this will be a battle. If Dake wins it will be a 3-2, 3-1 match.

In the end, I think while Dake has the ability to win 4 and join an elite crew, DT is the best wrestler of this era. You get the same feeling watching DT that you had when Cael wrestled. Its something special that comes along once a decade. If that. What's more impressive a guy with 4 career losses and 4 titles or a guy with one loss (in the finals) and 3 dominant titles? Tough to call, I know a lot of people will say the 4 titles but DT leaves no doubt where Dake keeps it close. Who would you take Fittery or Dake? I might take Fittery on that, and I would never take Fittery against DT again. I'll take DT in a 5-2 win over Dake. Here's to hoping it happens!

My cousin Vinny, btw.

If Taylor goes 157 next year, it means he does not think he can beat caldwell or Howe. I hope he goes down to 157. Then PSU can lose a year of eligibility for Alton who took third at 157 last year. Ingenius.

So he decides to cut weight, and chase a 3x NCAA champ and you see it as avoiding people. Slightly flawed logic. I hope they all end up at 165. DT>Howe>Dake>Caldwell.

Taylor hasn't faced a Burroughs yet IMO. Who has been his toughest opponent to date and what were their credentials?

This line of questioning is irrelevant at this point IMO. Bubba was the most credentialed and he lost that match. But he's run through a slew of AA's at this point and he's a two time finalist and national champ.

Taylor goes down to 157 and he will lose bank on it. Be careful what you ask for. That's 8 more pounds and Dake is not small for the weight.

DT wouldn't be going down to 157 for the entire season. He'll be cutting to 162.5 for the OTT in April. What's another 5 lbs. I would like to see them agree to weigh in at 162 for a sanctioned 165 lb match. Dake wrestled 165 a few times this season. Dake will also be wrestling 162.5 at the OTT.

I believe it is relevant as i don't think he has faced a returning champ like Howe yet.

No, we have nothing to go off of except what we have seen thus far in their careers, neither does anybody that says otherwise.

Unfortunately all we have is common opponents, which you can't buy at face value, but it can hold some useful information.

Howe had two victories over Hatchett last season. 9-5 and 6-1.

He split with Conrad Polz (it says default, unsure what happened) 6-1 and Def

He had Dec over Cody Yohn 8-3

He had MDec over Peter Yates 14-5

Taylor faced Hatchett twice in what was arguably a better season for Hatchett. 8-5 and TF (we all saw it)

He faced Polz one time. MDec 12-0

He faced Yohn twice also. TF and Fall

Peter Yates one time. Fall

Howe 27-3 7pins 1TF 6MD 107 total team points

Taylor 32-0 15pins 9TF 6MD 165 total team points

Other than Burroughs and Caldwell I don't see it as a weaker weight class, I just think Taylor makes it look like a weak weight class. He's that good.

I believe it is relevant as i don't think he has faced a returning champ like Howe yet.

No, we have nothing to go off of except what we have seen thus far in their careers, neither does anybody that says otherwise.

Unfortunately all we have is common opponents, which you can't buy at face value, but it can hold some useful information.

Howe had two victories over Hatchett last season. 9-5 and 6-1.

He split with Conrad Polz (it says default, unsure what happened) 6-1 and Def

He had Dec over Cody Yohn 8-3

He had MDec over Peter Yates 14-5

Taylor faced Hatchett twice in what was arguably a better season for Hatchett. 8-5 and TF (we all saw it)

He faced Polz one time. MDec 12-0

He faced Yohn twice also. TF and Fall

Peter Yates one time. Fall

Howe 27-3 7pins 1TF 6MD 107 total team points

Taylor 32-0 15pins 9TF 6MD 165 total team points

Other than Burroughs and Caldwell I don't see it as a weaker weight class, I just think Taylor makes it look like a weak weight class. He's that good.

As the returning Hodge winner, Taylor would not be the underdog against Howe. My guess is that most people think Taylor would be the favorite.

That said, Taylor has never had to overcome a weight class like 157 in 2009, where Burroughs had to beat out Poeta, Leen, and Gillespie. Nor has he had to overcome a weight class like 165 in 2009, where Howe placed second as a true freshman to King, and had to beat out Morningstar, Reader, Rendos, Fay, and Marable.

I hope that we can see Howe and Taylor face off next season. It would be great to see.