Sign in to follow this  
Big10fan

Taylor will go to 157 to wrestle Dake

What is your definition of dominates? Other than Humphrey, Dake has not had a close match in 15 Tournament matches. In 2012, He had 3 pins beat a very good super defensive Sanjaa 4-0 and basically repeated the same situation with St. John winning 4-1. I would say that was a SUPER dominant championship. In 2011, He won 9-0, 8-0, 3-0, 4-0 and 8-1 riding for 6+ minutes. Seems RIDICULOUSLY dominant to me. BY the way that is 2 pts scored against him in 10 matches over 2 championships. In 2010, He won 4-1, Pin, 11-0, 3-2 against HUMPHREY and 7-3 giving up a late takedown. Again that looks pretty dominant for a true freshman in the DIV I tournament.

So out of a total of 15 matches that is 8 pts scored against him with only one takedown against. I would call that INCREDIBLY dominant.

Exactly.

By the same idiotic logic that these gurus profess, Exactly who has Taylor beaten enroute to his title??

You talk about Dake having only a few close matches in the tourney. DT only has a few close matches in his career! And don't kid yourself, Dakes tourney runs have had luck run his way! I'm not saying DT had a super tough weight this year either, but PIN, PIN, PIN, TF is as good as it gets! If he ends with 1 career loss, I have a hard time arguing against that! I'm sure guys in the room everyday with Dake can beat him every once in a while as well. It's easy to forget that Taylor and Bubba were one time partners, the only one credited for beating DT. Hopefully we see soon so we can make this thread 16 pages longer!

What is your definition of dominates? Other than Humphrey, Dake has not had a close match in 15 Tournament matches. In 2012, He had 3 pins beat a very good super defensive Sanjaa 4-0 and basically repeated the same situation with St. John winning 4-1. I would say that was a SUPER dominant championship. In 2011, He won 9-0, 8-0, 3-0, 4-0 and 8-1 riding for 6+ minutes. Seems RIDICULOUSLY dominant to me. BY the way that is 2 pts scored against him in 10 matches over 2 championships. In 2010, He won 4-1, Pin, 11-0, 3-2 against HUMPHREY and 7-3 giving up a late takedown. Again that looks pretty dominant for a true freshman in the DIV I tournament.

So out of a total of 15 matches that is 8 pts scored against him with only one takedown against. I would call that INCREDIBLY dominant.

Exactly.

By the same idiotic logic that these gurus profess, Exactly who has Taylor beaten enroute to his title??

You talk about Dake having only a few close matches in the tourney. DT only has a few close matches in his career! And don't kid yourself, Dakes tourney runs have had luck run his way! I'm not saying DT had a super tough weight this year either, but PIN, PIN, PIN, TF is as good as it gets! If he ends with 1 career loss, I have a hard time arguing against that! I'm sure guys in the room everyday with Dake can beat him every once in a while as well. It's easy to forget that Taylor and Bubba were one time partners, the only one credited for beating DT. Hopefully we see soon so we can make this thread 16 pages longer!

That is all nice.

Who?

While Dake was winning his first title, wasn't Taylor losing some matches as a redshirt? Wasn't he the 3rd-stringer at PSU behind Sanderson and Jenkins?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I think you're right, headshuck. Here's an article about Penn State's freshmen adjusting to NCAA wrestling from back in the fall of 2009. At that time, Jenkins was toying with Taylor. And Taylor admitted that he was having trouble with the strength of Jenkins, Sanderson, and Molinaro.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I think Cael definitely made the right decision by red-shirting him during his freshman year. He's a great wrestler, but I think he can improve further, especially in the strength department. I also think some of his "fans" are doing him a disservice by deifying him so early in his career, as was done with Metcalf. Taylor may have his own Caldwell waiting in the wings somewhere. Personally, I hope he continues to improve and doesn't buy into all the hype surrounding him.

While Dake was winning his first title, wasn't Taylor losing some matches as a redshirt? Wasn't he the 3rd-stringer at PSU behind Sanderson and Jenkins?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I think you're right, headshuck. Here's an article about Penn State's freshmen adjusting to NCAA wrestling from back in the fall of 2009. At that time, Jenkins was toying with Taylor. And Taylor admitted that he was having trouble with the strength of Jenkins, Sanderson, and Molinaro.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I think Cael definitely made the right decision by red-shirting him during his freshman year. He's a great wrestler, but I think he can improve further, especially in the strength department. I also think some of his "fans" are doing him a disservice by deifying him so early in his career, as was done with Metcalf. Taylor may have his own Caldwell waiting in the wings somewhere. Personally, I hope he continues to improve and doesn't buy into all the hype surrounding him.

Trust me, know need to worry about DT wanting to stop improving because people already thinks he is 'that good'. He strives to be the best and will accept nothing less! Every interview backs that up.

I still think this is Suzie or a clone. The cheerleading is too transparent. Too bad there aren't any other topics to participate in. This one is old and sour.

Yeah dude, so why do you keep writing in it? Let it go. The only anti DT people are PSU haters or people that don't like seeing his success!

I never once heard Dake come out and say he'll come to where DT is to wrestle. That's the original topic of this thread. Hopefully it happens and we can revisit this!!

I still think this is Suzie or a clone. The cheerleading is too transparent. Too bad there aren't any other topics to participate in. This one is old and sour.

Yeah dude, so why do you keep writing in it? Let it go. The only anti DT people are PSU haters or people that don't like seeing his success!

I never once heard Dake come out and say he'll come to where DT is to wrestle. That's the original topic of this thread. Hopefully it happens and we can revisit this!!

Re-read the thread title.

TAYLOR WILL GO TO 157 TO WRESTLE DAKE!

BOW WOW POW!

Please tell me how DT sitting behind Cyler Sanderson and Bubba Jenkins straight out of high school has ANYTHING to do with that!

Fact is - DT said he will do what he has to, to wrestle Dake! Hopefully Dake is willing so you can see for yourself!

On a OFF topic, I can think of wrestlers ALL over, not just PSU, but everywhere that are fun to watch. Dake is not one of them!

PEACE!

I am not really a fan of either wrestler. I was a big fan of Humphrey and I think he got screwed in OT and that along with Dake coming off a tad arrogant makes me not care much for the guy. BUT, after watching him ALMOST take out Howe at University Nationals up to 163 after winning his title at 149 I was SOLD on just how good the guy is. Howe is an OX at 165 and for Dake to come up to 163 fresh off 149 and take it to Howe I was truly surprised. Along with that, the fact that NOONE can escape from him is NOT given enough credit from those of you trying to discredit his accomplishments.

How the Jenkins situation was handled, even if Jenkins had some wrongdoing as well, made me dislike Sanderson and by proxy turned me against Taylor. That isn't all that fair since he seems to be a great kid and LOVES wrestling. But I can't help associating him with that and seeing Jenkins get his revenge was simply FANTASTIC. Jenkins was thrown to the wolves up a weight his true freshman year, looked awesome his sophomore year and was so beat up at the end of his junior year he NEEDED a redshirt. He seemed to bulk up in the offseason, a new coach comes in, says you can't go 157, you can't redshirt, too bad for you.

With that said Taylor is a fantastic wrestler and very ENTERTAINING to watch. His dominance just isn't quite so definitive to me since his competition hasn't been stellar. I really want to see atleast Howe (hopefully Caldwell and maybe even Dake)in his weightclass. He may very well be as dominant against them. Until then I can't give him the GODLIKE status that the PSU faithful do. I do not say any of this to discredit him since I would call him a tossup against Dake and Howe, two HIGHLY accomplished wrestlers, and a slight favorite over Caldwell.

Hopefully they DO wrestle, we ALL get to benefit from an EPIC battle, and the argument gets put to rest by the winning wrestler. Good luck to both.

I am not really a fan of either wrestler. I was a big fan of Humphrey and I think he got screwed in OT and that along with Dake coming off a tad arrogant makes me not care much for the guy. BUT, after watching him ALMOST take out Howe at University Nationals up to 163 after winning his title at 149 I was SOLD on just how good the guy is. Howe is an OX at 165 and for Dake to come up to 163 fresh off 149 and take it to Howe I was truly surprised. Along with that, the fact that NOONE can escape from him is NOT given enough credit from those of you trying to discredit his accomplishments.

How the Jenkins situation was handled, even if Jenkins had some wrongdoing as well, made me dislike Sanderson and by proxy turned me against Taylor. That isn't all that fair since he seems to be a great kid and LOVES wrestling. But I can't help associating him with that and seeing Jenkins get his revenge was simply FANTASTIC. Jenkins was thrown to the wolves up a weight his true freshman year, looked awesome his sophomore year and was so beat up at the end of his junior year he NEEDED a redshirt. He seemed to bulk up in the offseason, a new coach comes in, says you can't go 157, you can't redshirt, too bad for you.

With that said Taylor is a fantastic wrestler and very ENTERTAINING to watch. His dominance just isn't quite so definitive to me since his competition hasn't been stellar. I really want to see atleast Howe (hopefully Caldwell and maybe even Dake)in his weightclass. He may very well be as dominant against them. Until then I can't give him the GODLIKE status that the PSU faithful do. I do not say any of this to discredit him since I would call him a tossup against Dake and Howe, two HIGHLY accomplished wrestlers, and a slight favorite over Caldwell.

Hopefully they DO wrestle, we ALL get to benefit from an EPIC battle, and the argument gets put to rest by the winning wrestler. Good luck to both.

+1

Very fair statement MSU. I have a hard time disagreeing with any of your replies though. They always seem to be spot on.

I really, really, really hope we all get to see it as well!

Kilgore took this redshirt year so that he could cut down to 157 to wrestle Dake. Dom Bradley is considering it but will probably stay above 174. Metcalf may go 157 for his fourth year of eligibility to compete against Dake because Kyle had such a cake-walk to dominating his way to three NCAA titles at three different weights. Dake sucks, Taylor sucks, they're both awful, this thread is awesome, THANK YOU for contributing to wrestling knowledge by bulking it up!!

Kilgore took this redshirt year so that he could cut down to 157 to wrestle Dake. Dom Bradley is considering it but will probably stay above 174. Metcalf may go 157 for his fourth year of eligibility to compete against Dake because Kyle had such a cake-walk to dominating his way to three NCAA titles at three different weights. Dake sucks, Taylor sucks, they're both awful, this thread is awesome, THANK YOU for contributing to wrestling knowledge by bulking it up!!

The problem is (as discussed in another brilliant thread regarding "who has Dake beat?") that Dake is either going 141 next year or 133 if JO and Steiber move up because they will be "easy" weight classes.

Seriously though,

We may get what we want sooner than later at the Trials.

Both are excellent and instead appreciating them for what they are too many have to insult the other to try and puff their old and unaccomplished chests with their keyboards.

Let's talk technique if they did meet:

Nuetral

Dake's stance and style would make it difficult for DT to throw his ankle picks with the same fury as does against guys with more foot led stances. Dake squats so low with his knees way far in front of his feet. I think DT would have to finish his picks like singles/HiC's because it would be difficult to pick Dake to his butt. Also, DT's constant motion and pressure on the head would also make the Dake's signature Duck Under possible.

Mat

I honestly think it is a wash and see the match coming down to TD's.

I think both are sound enough to not be turned and likely get escapes.

I see it as a wash.

Let's talk technique if they did meet:

Nuetral

Dake's stance and style would make it difficult for DT to throw his ankle picks with the same fury as does against guys with more foot led stances. Dake squats so low with his knees way far in front of his feet. I think DT would have to finish his picks like singles/HiC's because it would be difficult to pick Dake to his butt. Also, DT's constant motion and pressure on the head would also make the Dake's signature Duck Under possible.

Mat

I honestly think it is a wash and see the match coming down to TD's.

I think both are sound enough to not be turned and likely get escapes.

I see it as a wash.

Taylor is much taller than Dake and has significantly longer arms. Coupled with his constant motion it would probably make the ankle pick more effective than you think, unless Dake stayed on his knees or squatting the entire time, which he might. Taylor wouldn't have much of a strength advantage, if at all, but his length would be an advantage in setting up his offense, and Dake isn't an offensive machine. Scrambling and mat wrestling is probably a wash, so if I had to guess, I'd say Taylor wins 5-2 with two takedowns and an escape to Dake's two escapes. Possibly Taylor would only get one takedown and would win a 3-2 match. No riding time for either guy. Safe to assume the match would be very close. Now if Taylor came out and blew Dake out of the water (very unlikely) we could legitimately start talking about how great he is.

Quite likely Taylor should move to 157 next year. It will be his best chance of beating Kyle since 165 did not look so great. :roll:

Taylor is rock solid and so is Dake. I present this match as an eye opener for many nittany lion and Taylor fans that so deeply convinced themselves that their guy is the best and untouchable.

BTW, I am still not saying Dake is the best but he is getting darn close to be an all time great.

How great is this for next year? We get to see Howe / Taylor all over again and maybe Caldwell too. I hope Dake wrestles up and "wakes up" wrestling fans again.

Good thing there are no red shirts left for any of them (except Dake). :D

Quite likely Taylor should move to 157 next year. It will be his best chance of beating Kyle since 165 did not look so great. :roll:

Taylor is rock solid and so is Dake. I present this match as an eye opener for many nittany lion and Taylor fans that so deeply convinced themselves that their guy is the best and untouchable.

BTW, I am still not saying Dake is the best but he is getting darn close to be an all time great.

How great is this for next year? We get to see Howe / Taylor all over again and maybe Caldwell too. I hope Dake wrestles up and "wakes up" wrestling fans again.

The Ivy League does not allow redshirting.

The Ivy League does not allow redshirting.

It was a joke.

WHAT IF...

The Hodge goes to Ed Ruth next season after Dake wins his 4th title cementing his legacy of one of the finest collegiate wrestlers ever.....without The Hodge?

If Ruth murders everyone in a brutal weight class, it will be difficult to argue against the award to him.

WHAT IF...

The Hodge goes to Ed Ruth next season after Dake wins his 4th title cementing his legacy of one of the finest collegiate wrestlers ever.....without The Hodge?

If Ruth murders everyone in a brutal weight class, it will be difficult to argue against the award to him.

Don't worry, Scribe, we will be able to settle it by who ever performs better at the 2016 Olympics in Rio.