Sign in to follow this  
Coach_J

Video on Taylor

It was a truly sensational move, executed by a master, but even as I was watching it, I had that fleeting "Don't try this at home" thought. Lots of bad things can happen if you mis-calculate even a little (and I don't mean just losing the match, I mean serious injury). I would be very wary of having my kids try it at full speed in a competition situation. Just go for the basic escape, or maybe even a standing switch.

It was a truly sensational move, executed by a master, but even as I was watching it, I had that fleeting "Don't try this at home" thought. Lots of bad things can happen if you mis-calculate even a little (and I don't mean just losing the match, I mean serious injury). I would be very wary of having my kids try it at full speed in a competition situation. Just go for the basic escape, or maybe even a standing switch.

Really? I hit this move all the time in full go practices in high school and college, and I wasn't any superstar. I wasn't even a very good athlete. An above-average high school wrestler has more than enough spatial awareness to pull this off in competition if they've practiced it. The difference with Taylor is that he can do it in the Big 10 finals against a tough opponent and make it look like he's drilling. Wrestling needs more athletes who can do that, not fewer.

Anyone with a link to Taylor's B-10 finals match? I really want my kids to see that standing gramby to a peek out. Thanks in advance.

Not the full match, but the below link to a highlight video shows the standing Granby at around 2:00.

Thank you, man! With Ruth to boot!

Having the confidence in yourself to try it is key too. If you try it and it goes wrong, you can find yourself in a bad situation.

That's what makes Ruth so exciting. He gets sloppy sometimes, but the things he is willing to try is amazing. He believes in himself that if it goes wrong, he can recover.

The only smoother version of the standing granby I can remember is Troy Nickerson's. Saw him pull one out in the quarters of the Beast his sophomore or junior year? Had it on tape, and replayed it 100 times. He looked like he was starting the turn as he was being lifted HIGH and was nearly upside down when he returned to the mat. Awesome move.

Taylor tried something similar against Dake last year at the Scuffle but it didn't work. I think I've seen him do it two more times in other matches, so it's definitely a move that he has in his arsenal and has practiced a lot.

Cary Kolat used to do something similar, but it was more of an explosive move than the smooth version that Taylor does. He teaches it as one of his basic motions to master from bottom and hits it so cleanly every time, it's uncanny, even today when he probably hasn't practiced it for years. Taylor looks like he goes with the flow of the motion into the granby, while Kolat would explode into it, almost always break the opponent's grip, and sometimes get the TD in a similar fashion to how Taylor finished it against Moore.

If it's taught and drilled properly, it's not really unsafe because if you don't have enough clearance to hit it properly or if the guy has a tight enough hold of you, you can't even get into the position to injure yourself. Conversely, if you hit it, you're going to land OK because the momentum is so strong. Doesn't necessarlly mean you'll score, but it's not so easy to get hurt. I've ever seen anyone get hurt doing it.