Sign in to follow this  
Tech_fall15

How will Marstellar do in College?

I'm curious to hear from some of you who know this sport much better than I. Personally I think Chance is a stud and has been a joy to watch. We all know how controversial and anticipated his college choice and career has already been and will continue to be.

My question is what do you see 4xer the next cael or dake. 1-2xer elite, possibly a 1xer, 4x AA, 1-2xAA, or gets burnt out and is a bust?

Personally I don't see the elite college wrestler that some do but maybe I'm off base. I predict a career very similar to the Altons lots of talent always in contention to AA but never elite. Probably battle a few injuries and have a few off the mat problems.

I'm curious to hear from some of you who know this sport much better than I. Personally I think Chance is a stud and has been a joy to watch. We all know how controversial and anticipated his college choice and career has already been and will continue to be.

My question is what do you see 4xer the next cael or dake. 1-2xer elite, possibly a 1xer, 4x AA, 1-2xAA, or gets burnt out and is a bust?

Personally I don't see the elite college wrestler that some do but maybe I'm off base. I predict a career very similar to the Altons lots of talent always in contention to AA but never elite. Probably battle a few injuries and have a few off the mat problems.

Truly excellent troll work. Every fanbase has their lemons, and something sure seems sour over here...

it is pretty clear in your past posts about guilibon you are a psu fan you would think you would know better than to say always in contention when talking about the altons since aalton isn't anywhere near making the podium this year

it is pretty clear in your past posts about guilibon you are a psu fan you would think you would know better than to say always in contention when talking about the altons since aalton isn't anywhere near making the podium this year

I'm really just a fan of the sport growing up in Pa I tend to root for PSU that is true but I certainly enjoy the mystique of carver hawkeye love listening to Tom Brands admire John Smith and his program. I actually live in Missouri now.

My question was valid I am really curious to hear what some of the "experts see in this kid as it relates to translating to College" more goes in to wrestling in college than pure ability will chance burn out does he really have the ability that some believe all that will play a factor some of it we simply don't know. My prediction was just an educated guess based on years of observation and an opinion.

I'll bite (I'm bored). I'd be surprised if Marstellar doesn't win a title or two with multiple AA finishes, ala Perry, Schlatter and Oliver. Very possible of course that he falls short of those stellar stats, but the kid seems legit. Expecting anything more than that is just folly.

I'm really just a fan of the sport growing up in Pa I tend to root for PSU that is true but I certainly enjoy the mystique of carver hawkeye love listening to Tom Brands admire John Smith and his program. I actually live in Missouri now.

My question was valid I am really curious to hear what some of the "experts see in this kid as it relates to translating to College" more goes in to wrestling in college than pure ability will chance burn out does he really have the ability that some believe all that will play a factor some of it we simply don't know. My prediction was just an educated guess based on years of observation and an opinion.

Have a few off the mat problems? Care to share some details on how you come to this conclusion?

Although you seem to be trolling, I will take a shot at your question.

Marstellar is different than the Alton's in alot of ways. First, Andrew Alton was an extremely explosive wrestler who used big moves to end matches quickly in high school. Dylan was a little more methodical... but neither is the technician that Marstellar is in neutral. Marstellar maintains incredible position, and that will keep him in most of his matches. Second, the Alton's never bothered to ride guys or spend much time on the mat. Marstellar has really improved this part of his wrestling, and you can see him winning by TF's now that are 18-1, 19-3 etc...Marstellar isn't a hammer on top (like Kolat or Fried), but he is very effective and that always translates well to college. Third, Marstellar has stated numerous times (including recently) that his goal is to win an Olympic Gold Medal. Assuming this hasn't changed, the drive that it takes to get to that level can only help him in college.

Verdict: I have no idea! My gut says: If he stays healthy, and doesn't have to cut a ton of weight that he is at least a multiple time AA with the potential for one or more national titles. I don't see David Taylor like dominance, but I can easily see him being another Johnny Hendrix

i dont see him being a 4 timer champ, but definately a multiple time aa... i still think the deciding factor is what weight he ends up in the okie state room... with koo really coming along

2014 koo 157 dierneger 165 (this weight is up for the taking next year)

2015 koo 157 diernger 165 marsteller 174 if he can get big enough

then maybe in 2016 he comes down to 165

at the same time i can very well being similar to marshall peppleman as a huge bust

How Marsteller will do in college is a heavily debated topic among the PA die-hards. Personally, I think that if he remains at 165, he will have phenomenal success. Of course, he needs to stay healthy and committed, but, that goes for every wrestler. I think he is too short for 174, and could struggle against top college 174's.

I like his technical ability. If I had to express one concern after watching him all 4 years at districts and states, it would be burnout. He admitted in an article that he once lost desire for the sport. I noticed this year that he seemed to have a demeanor about him, where he was anxious to get this over with and move on. This is just what I noticed from his body language, I have no inside information or anything.

I like Chance. I met him two years ago and he seemed like a phenomenal kid. I will be rooting for him, as long as it isn't at the expense of PSU.

Gun to my head prediction, assuming he stays at 165: Without a redshirt (3, 3, 2, 1)......with a redshirt (3, 2, 1, 1). I know these are EXTREMELY lofty expectations, and I've argued with friends, but, I do think he is that good. I predict that the challenges that college wrestling bring will rejuvenate his love for the sport.

If his back is "hurt" and not injured he may have the same type of results that Taylor has.

A RS would be good for him. WIll they (OSU) redshirt him or Blees and then RS the other one the next year?

He certainly has the ability to win it all. But will one of the Jordan's be a hinderance at his weight?

If his back is "hurt" and not injured he may have the same type of results that Taylor has.

A RS would be good for him. WIll they (OSU) redshirt him or Blees and then RS the other one the next year?

He certainly has the ability to win it all. But will one of the Jordan's be a hinderance at his weight?

I know it is a year later, and it is hard to compare results. However, Chance squeaked by Wiercioch in an absolutely phenomenal match by both wrestlers at last year's Powerade. Bo Jordan tech falled Wiercioch at the Clarion open.

I think Bo Jordan is going to be absolutely phenomenal. I think if he were wrestling next weekend, he would walk away with the silver medal at 165, if he was on the opposite side of Taylor. Everything I've seen on video, results and some comments I've heard tells me that this kid is the absolute real deal. Ohio State is definitely gearing up for a title run.

You all should put up your college wrestling resumes, so we have something to compare him to. This thread is pretty ridiculous, but I guess it's what I should expect from a message board. If you're grown men, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I think Marstellar is an amazing talent. I look forward to the next 4-10 years of his wrestling. I hope to see him winning multiple NCAA and Olympic championships.

i dont see him being a 4 timer champ, but definately a multiple time aa... i still think the deciding factor is what weight he ends up in the okie state room... with koo really coming along

2014 koo 157 dierneger 165 (this weight is up for the taking next year)

2015 koo 157 diernger 165 marsteller 174 if he can get big enough

then maybe in 2016 he comes down to 165

at the same time i can very well being similar to marshall peppleman as a huge bust

I heard good things about koo also so I expected him to win the nco but he didn't even place that was a surprise

I hear it all the time here in PA. PSU fans are so bitter over his choice (or lack of Cael's) that they have resorted to saying he has all kinds of off the mat problems and whatever you could think of which problems, I have heard it.

The sky is the limit with the kid, it's up to him how high he wants to go but I did hear the burnout while in HS, personally I think it was boredom but he still has the "eye of the tiger". Now the Altons as seniors? You could see it in their eyes, they were done.

I hear it all the time here in PA. PSU fans are so bitter over his choice (or lack of Cael's) that they have resorted to saying he has all kinds of off the mat problems and whatever you could think of which problems, I have heard it.

The sky is the limit with the kid, it's up to him how high he wants to go but I did hear the burnout while in HS, personally I think it was boredom but he still has the "eye of the tiger". Now the Altons as seniors? You could see it in their eyes, they were done.

I'm a PA h.s. and Penn State and I have no sour grapes at all, and I totally agree with you about Marstellar's potential. You will find, this being the internet and all, that there are people out there that are never going to buy into something they don't wish to buy into. That is life.

They'll see. If the kid is healthy he'll dominate guys. Personally, if he weren't wearing a back cast I think he'd beat Matt Brown right now. He has way more offense and he maintains better positioning, plus he is just as strong.

They'll see. If the kid is healthy he'll dominate guys. Personally, if he weren't wearing a back cast I think he'd beat Matt Brown right now. He has way more offense and he maintains better positioning, plus he is just as strong.

It's easy to say that when he's wrestling competition levels and levels below the competition that Matt Brown is facing. I also remember you saying that you wouldn't be surprised to see him beat Nick Moore of Iowa. Remember what happened when he attempted to wrestle the guys at the next level? He lost to Nick Moore's backup.

It doesn't make much sense to compare competition from completely different levels.

Nick Nevills has way more offense, and keeps better position against his competition than Tony Nelson. Jimmy Gulibon dominated his HS competition much more than Ramos did his college competition. What conclusion should we draw from those facts?

It's easy to say that when he's wrestling competition levels and levels below the competition that Matt Brown is facing. I also remember you saying that you wouldn't be surprised to see him beat Nick Moore of Iowa. Remember what happened when he attempted to wrestle the guys at the next level? He lost to Nick Moore's backup.

It doesn't make much sense to compare competition from completely different levels.

Nick Nevills has way more offense, and keeps better position against his competition than Tony Nelson. Jimmy Gulibon dominated his HS competition much more than Ramos did his college competition. What conclusion should we draw from those facts?

Valid arguments but keep in mind Jimmy Gulibon is a Freshman Ramos a Senior he Gulibon is not the first High School stud to not immediately dominate in College. I would not be surprised at all to see Gulibon multiple time AA.

Valid arguments but keep in mind Jimmy Gulibon is a Freshman Ramos a Senior he Gulibon is not the first High School stud to not immediately dominate in College. I would not be surprised at all to see Gulibon multiple time AA.

My point was that it doesn't make much sense to compare success against competition from completely different levels.

Marsteller had better offense against his competition than Matt Brown does against his, but I'm not sure why anyone would take that fact seriously considering the competition. Marsteller also handles his competition much more easily than Buvaisar Saitiev did his. So what?