Sign in to follow this  
Tech_fall15

How will Marstellar do in College?

Tbar, I'd really like to hear a specific prediction now. I'm very curious.

I have already told you what I think about Chance Marstellar, you just didn't accept it. But that is you.

Chance is a stud. That is all you need to know. Just sit back and watch. Be a fan and not a pest for once in your life.

Tbar, I'd really like to hear a specific prediction now. I'm very curious.

I have already told you what I think about Chance Marstellar, you just didn't accept it. But that is you.

Chance is a stud. That is all you need to know. Just sit back and watch. Be a fan and not a pest for once in your life.

I'm asking for a specific prediction Tbar, I told you that a few times. You give specific predictions for others, why not Marsteller? Even I have given a specific prediction!

Chance is an absolute stud! I think he will be the best 1-2 period wrestler, or as good as any. So fundamentally sound, so well grounded, and a true technician. Where I see him running into problems is the 3rd period or later. His gas tank has rarely ever been tested, but when it has, it doesn't seem so great. I'd give Bo the nod right now, but I am also putting weight on what Bo did to Wierioch.

Tbar: "If healthy the sky is the limit. The kid is a stud".

This is very vague, and actually, it's really not even a prediction. Just because you believe "the sky is the limit" for someone, doesn't mean you believe that they'll actually reach that limit. Isn't that obvious? Especially if there is more than one "sky is the limit" type kid in the weight class.

He's a stud, superold. Chance is a stud. Enjoy it, don't fight it.

Don't be THAT guy. You'll end up the subject of a DirecTV commercial.

TBar, don't get caught up in a back n forth. He won't stop.

All I asked for was for a specific prediction tightwaist? I don't know why my request seems so unreasonable? This is starting to become funny. :)

This is starting to become funny. :)

-----

I think it left "funny" some time ago ...."weird" may be a better description

I'm trying to bring it back to normal rossel3, but I'm only one person. I could use some help. :)

Does anyone see the potential for a RS/Olympic RS in 2015 and RS/Olympic RS in 2016 given his goal of winning the olympics?

Sure. I could see that happening.

Do you think he has a realistic shot to make the team? Give me something Tbar! :)

Would you say that your prediction of Marsteller's college success is similar to mine?

Specific prediction just for you, superold. I don't think Chance will wrestle at 157 for Oklahoma State. Now that is very specific . Surely even someone like you can see that.

I'm talking ncaa finishes Tbar.

He will definitely win a championship or two. Maybe not right away, but he will.

Too talented not too. Have you watched him ever?

I've watched him. There is actually footage of him a couple of pages back. Tough match.

Specific prediction just for you, superold. I don't think Chance will wrestle at 157 for Oklahoma State. Now that is very specific . Surely even someone like you can see that.

I'm talking ncaa finishes Tbar.

Bump for Tbar.

superold, you can think what you want about Chance. People once knocked Cary Kolat too.

Chance can score plenty on college guys. You'll see. If he is healthy, he will make a believer out of even a guy like you. Of course, the minute he slips up you'll be singing like a canary.

And I have told you in the past, Chance was in 10th grade and had pneumonia when that Iowa back up and the Penn kid both beat him by 1 point each. Neither of them would make 7 minutes with Chance if he is healthy.

Ok!!!! Now I'm a believer!!!

It's so hard to predict these things. Dustin Schlatter was super hyped, and lived up to every bit of the hype as a freshman, and then never won again (which would have been crazy to predict after the 2006 season).

In general, guys that are not yet remotely physically mature when they enter college (like Taylor or Dake), have the most room for improvement over guys that were physically very advanced for their age while in high school. But even that generalization isn't always true.

Many of the super studs were capable of beating good college kids while still in high school, or at least during their redshirt years. Kolat was placing at Midlands and beating college AAs in high school, right? And Dave Schultz was placing (and winning) at senior level tournaments at age 18. Now most guys don't have that sort of experience, which means we just won' know how they stack up until they enter college. Does Marstellar have any wins over good college kids like those guys did? If not, then all predictions will have to hold off until next year. At this point it seems reasonable to think he would at least get a few AA finishes, if not a title at some point. But there have been guys that were super hyped like Scott Winston that never AA'd, and CP Schlatter who looked like a superstar (at some points even in college) yet only placed 1 time. And on the flip side, who would have predicted 4 titles for Dake? Or only 2 for Taylor despite his amazing record? You never know.

Only 2 for Taylor?   How many did you expect?  I thought 2 was pretty spot on.   LIMarty called it dead on, 2.   

Taylor wasn't even a starter (like Marstellar) his first year.   You mean to tell me people expected better than he did?  I don't believe that. 

I think Marsteller will be an NCAA champion, barring injury or burnout, both of which are significant risks with him. To me, the question is how many he'll win, not if he'll win.

His height is an issue, but there are plenty of short NCAA champions: Cary Kolat (for 142), Alan Fried (for 142), Frank Molinaro, Chris Bono, Steve Mocco, Mike Pucillo, Trent Paulson, and the list goes on and on.

And to use a current example of a top freshman at the heavier weights, look at Gabe Dean. He is shorter than every opponent he's faced this year, and significantly shorter than the top guys at the weight. He still has a ton of work to do to be an NCAA champion, but my point is that he is competitive with anyone as a freshman, including Ed Ruth, which would've been unthinkable in the beginning of the season, when height would've been among dozens of reasons most would've used to justify why Dean could never beat Ruth.

For a guy of Marstellar's caliber, I think the height issue is overdone.

I also don't have that much of an issue with his physical maturity because Marstellar is so technically advanced. He is not like, say, Eric Grajales was in HS, using his physical superiority to overpower his overmatched opponents. Marstellar is so good primarily because of his technique, which should transfer very well to college.

His desire to go 174 is surprising to me for a different reason. If his top wrestling priority is to make an Olympic team, I don't understand his preference for 174 in college, which is in between freestyle weights 163 and 189. (As an aside, how absolutely moronic is it to have a 26-lb gap between those two weights???)

Marstellar's shot at the Olympics is in 5years.   What does it matter what weight he chooses to compete in now? 

Someone needs a time out.

Is there anyone out there with a soft spot for suzie-like misfits, who can take superold under his wing for some wise counsel.... perhaps Hurricane??

Rosie!

Were you able to make the Open this weekend? 

We had a great time and I met several members of this board.   Were you there?  Are you an over weight, Latino fellow?  I think I saw you at the urinal (gazing at my junk,  I may add).   

Your team california was on fire.   A simply magnificent showing.   Not so great for my guys from the south but we enjoyed ourselves none the less.   

I hope you stayed away from the chilli at the concessions, I was on the toilet all last night.