Sign in to follow this  
Tech_fall15

How will Marstellar do in College?

superold, Summer 2011, just out of 9th grade Chance just won PIAA Class AAA States, best high school tournament in the country. So he goes out to Fargo and wins the Cadet Greco title. Not content to stop there, he wrestles Cadet freestyle too. Wins the title un scored upon. Beats Oklahoma State Champ Kelian Torres in the final 6-0, 7-0 in a total elapsed time for the two periods of 1:06.

You can watch it here. Not bad for a guy you think has poor technique.

BTW, listen to the excitement of the announcer. This is what most folks sounded like the first time they have seen Chance wrestle. We both know it won't be like this for Chance in college, but stop already with the poor technique nonsense. The kid can flat out GO!

I said Chance showed poor technique in his matches at Fila Jrs. It's funny that you want to take a mere caricature of my actual position and then attack that. Just because Chance did, in fact, show poor technique at Fila Jrs. doesn't mean that he showed poor technique in every match he wrestled throughout his career. I'm well aware that Chance is able look great technically against HS kids.

I'm aware of Chance's accomplishments Tbar. I'm also aware of kids his age with far greater wins. I've been around a looong time, I've seen many great wrestlers. Imo, I have seen 15 year olds that are better than what Chance is right now.

wow, what a fun thread. i dont follow high school wrestling but this Chance guy sounds pretty good. has anyone at his age ever demonstrated significantly better technique? and if so, how did they do later on in the NCAAs?

Superold was better in HS. He went on to a pretty good career at Cornell. He was a 4Xer, graduated last year. Beat the hell out of a kid from PSU a few times.

Superold has had it in for Marstellar since last year. Trying to reason with him is moot. It's like arguing with those idiots who think our own Govt. organized 9/11. At a certain point, you just have to move on. Logic and reason do not work with these types of nuts.

Superold also likes to bash Marstellar for the competition he's wrestled while in high school. Here is a partial list of opponents. What a bunch of pansies.

Zach Zavatsky, undefeated state champ. VaTech

Garrett Peppelman, 2x state champ. Virginia

Brett Harner. Multi time placer. Princeton

Lorenzo Thomas. Multi time placer. Penn. just lost 3-1 to Gabe Dean

Brian Brill. State champ, 85 match win streak. Lehigh

Johnny Sebastian. 2x NJ champ. Northwestern

Andrew Garcia. 3x MI champ. Cornell

Cody Allala. 4x Va state champ (largest classification)

Zach Beard. 4x Ok state champ. Wyoming

Tightwaist, you can hold to whatever opinion that you like about Chance. I simply ask that you stop saying that I "have it in" for Chance or that I "bash" him. I've done no such thing. That's a nice list of HS kids that Marsteller beat, but as I stated before I'm not concerned with HS wrestlers. Those wins mean nothing on the elite D1 level. Nothing. Most, if not all, of those kids couldn't make D1 AA when they were HS. Many probably couldn't make D1 AA as redshirt or even true freshman either. I'm surprised that you think those wins mean anything for college. Honestly it's making me start to chuckle. Sheesh, just look at the college accomplishments that you were able to collect! "Just lost 3-1 to Gabe Dean"? Hahahaha.Are you being serious?

Gents, you have to LEARN. You would have a better chance changing a career politician's opinion during a debate( NO CHANCE) than getting superold to change his mind. If you want, put out your opinion on the matter and then digress. There is NO point directly engaging him. It just turns into a muddled mess of paragraphs of responses per post......

MSU158, we've only had a few exchanges, and my positions have been for more consistent with the evidence than yours. Any objective person could see that. And I'm fully willing to change my mind if I'm given a good reason to do so. I given you plenty of time to give me a compelling reason to convince me that your position was superior to mine, but you failed everytime. All you put forth was unfounded assertions. That's not my fault.

Dear superold,

Lets start this at the beginning. I'll even be nice and let you contain your argument to ONE MATCH. I've done all the hard work for you. Please explain, as I did, the "poor technique" in each of the non-scoring sequences. Let's start there. Then we will all truly be able to embrace your point on this subject.

wow, what a fun thread. i dont follow high school wrestling but this Chance guy sounds pretty good. has anyone at his age ever demonstrated significantly better technique? and if so, how did they do later on in the NCAAs?

Dake was pretty good in HS but one time he put his head down and forgot to tape his laces. Horrible technique.

There are 17 years olds who have made the finals of the World championships. I wouldn't be surprised if a few posters here would put Chance above Asgarov.

Dear superold,

Lets start this at the beginning. I'll even be nice and let you contain your argument to ONE MATCH. I've done all the hard work for you. Please explain, as I did, the "poor technique" in each of the non-scoring sequences. Let's start there. Then we will all truly be able to embrace your point on this subject.

Vhsalum, I've already made my point. And as much as you tried to downplay it, you agreed with my major point too. That's not to say you agreed with everything, you clearly did not, but you did concede my main point.

Is there a problem that I'm discussing one match? I'm talking about Chance Marsteller and college success, I don't care much for what he did in HS. His HS accomplishments mean next to nothing in this topic. I'll be happy to discuss the other match that Chance lost at Fila Jrs. at a later time. I have to watch it again and refresh my memory.

There are 17 years olds who have made the finals of the World championships. I wouldn't be surprised if a few posters here would put Chance above Asgarov.

oh yeah, Asgarov is quite the phenom. shame he has competed much (at all?) since the olympics. what about people who wrestled in American high schools and then went on to comepete in the NCAAs? i dont require an answer and i'm not looking for any explanations. my first sentence was sarcastic but i am genuinely curious.

Zach Beard is a much better wrestler than Patrick Rhoads. Here is Chance dominating Beard. Gets a nice tech on him in freestyle.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/24 ... yCA8oW9J5Y

Why do you say that Beard is a much better wrestler than Rhoads? Oh, I've heard on numerous occasions that Beard was dealing with illness in that match. Since you care so much about wrestlers who compete with illness, aren't you going to throw this result out? I accept the result, do you?

oh yeah, Asgarov is quite the phenom. shame he has competed much (at all?) since the olympics. what about people who wrestled in American high schools and then went on to comepete in the NCAAs? i dont require an answer and i'm not looking for any explanations. my first sentence was sarcastic but i am genuinely curious.

Many would say Kolat, Carr, and Schultz.

cool. impressive list! thanks!

My point was extremely straight forward super. No one is perfect, no technique is perfect, these are real life people going up against other actively moving and fighting people. John Smith even at his pinnacle would (by using the standards applied to Chance) have regularly been a poor technician

I disagree that no technique is perfect. I don't know why it's being said that I'm using unusual standards when it applies to Chance. I'm using the same standards that I use for everyone. Yes, John Smith at his pinnacle did use poor technique at times. That is obvious. And in those situations, his technique was poor. Just because he did those moves correctly many times doesn't erase those situation when he didn't. I'm not sure why you think it does.

If Chances technique was poor then just about every wrestler ever no matter what they accomplished had poor technique as well. Under those standards words lose all meaning.

That doesn't mean that they showed poor technique at every single point of everyone of their matches though. I'm not sure why a distinction cannot be made.

Are we really going to use a match from two years ago as if it is still relevant? Especially considering when we are talking about highschoolers who are still physically maturing.

Also, since the general consensus on here seems to be that the trapped arm gut Taylor hit on Howe is irrelevant when talking about folkstyle, how can you claim any of the points Rhoads scored were relevant to folkstyle? Chance would have been in pretty decent position to score in that final scramble under folkstyle rules.

Gents, you have to LEARN. You would have a better chance changing a career politician's opinion during a debate( NO CHANCE) than getting superold to change his mind. If you want, put out your opinion on the matter and then digress. There is NO point directly engaging him. It just turns into a muddled mess of paragraphs of responses per post......

MSU158, we've only had a few exchanges, and my positions have been for more consistent with the evidence than yours. Any objective person could see that. And I'm fully willing to change my mind if I'm given a good reason to do so. I given you plenty of time to give me a compelling reason to convince me that your position was superior to mine, but you failed everytime. All you put forth was unfounded assertions. That's not my fault.

You just proved MY WHOLE POINT. Feel free to poll the message board to try to find your objective person. So far, I have ONLY noticed EVERY poster DISAGREEING with you. I have yet to see one that AGREES. I back off because you mire this board down with paragraph responses to each sentence. There is no point to arguing with you. Good luck. Take care.

MSU,

This is simply an education. I love providing schooling to those with lesser means. superold is getting killed in this debate, line by line. Plus, i'm bored. This is fun.

Vhsalum, you've already conceded my point. There's no reason for me to go over you entire post because it's irrelevant to my major point. How can you school me if you can't even comprehend that? :) This is a very bizarre wrestling forum.

You just proved MY WHOLE POINT. Feel free to poll the message board to try to find your objective person. So far, I have ONLY noticed EVERY poster DISAGREEING with you. I have yet to see one that AGREES. I back off because you mire this board down with paragraph responses to each sentence. There is no point to arguing with you. Good luck. Take care.

I didn't prove your point at all MSU. And in the major thread dedicated to discussing McDonough, a few of the posters that I had long exchanges with ended up agreeing with what I said. I think every poster except for one agreed with me actually. The other refused to answer questions that I believe would have revealed severe flaws in his line of argumentation. Back to that other thread, Brands and McDonough himself agreed with me. Most importantly, reality agreed with me. You had the chance to put forth arguments MSU, instead you choose to put out unfounded assertions. Assertions that were so divorced from reality that no objective person could honestly accept them.

MSU,

This is simply an education. I love providing schooling to those with lesser means. superold is getting killed in this debate, line by line. Plus, i'm bored. This is fun.

Vhsalum, you've already conceded my point. There's no reason for me to go over you entire post because it's irrelevant to my major point. How can you school me if you can't even comprehend that? :) This is a very bizarre wrestling forum.

Dude your argument is that if a wrestler ever makes a mistake that means he has bad technique.

vhcalum pointed out a bunch of high level stuff he did to show that he has very strong technique and your rebuttal was he made a couple of mistakes.

Are we really going to use a match from two years ago as if it is still relevant? Especially considering when we are talking about highschoolers who are still physically maturing.

Also, since the general consensus on here seems to be that the trapped arm gut Taylor hit on Howe is irrelevant when talking about folkstyle, how can you claim any of the points Rhoads scored were relevant to folkstyle? Chance would have been in pretty decent position to score in that final scramble under folkstyle rules.

Well, I don't think the trapped armed gut that Taylor hit was irrelevant to folkstyle. And the points that Rhoades scored against Marsteller isn't the only thing that I took away from that match. As I stated before, Marsteller's poor technique on his shot finishes very much stood out to me. Also I'm not only speaking about folkstyle, I'm also speaking about freestyle. I should have made that clearer earlier.