Sign in to follow this  
superold

Are the Iowa fans here superstitious?

Meaning, I know I can't be the only one who sees the team race being extremely close going into the ncaas. I don't see many Iowa fans here predicting success for their team. In years past, I would always run into what seemed like hundreds of Iowa fans confidently stating that their team would bring back the title at ncaas. I don't see too much of that this year.

A few questions for Iowa fans:

Do you believe mentioning your team's chances of winning NCAAs this year will somehow "jinx" them? :) Will you really be surpised if Iowa edges out PSU for the team title?

I was waiting until closer to NCAA's, but Iowa will win it all this year. And no I'm not superstitious.

Nice to hear from a Hawkeye fan. Do you think the championship will be decided in the ncaa finals?

What are your thoughts Vakattack?

I think it will come down to day 3. It'll be decided by the end of the medal rounds IMO. Mathematically, it will come down to the finals, but most wrestling fans who know anything about tournaments will have a good idea who will most likely win by the end of the medal rounds.

I think it will come down to day 3. It'll be decided by the end of the medal rounds IMO. Mathematically, it will come down to the finals, but most wrestling fans who know anything about tournaments will have a good idea who will most likely win by the end of the medal rounds.

It should be a very interesting ncaas.

I think Iowa can win it. I don't think they will. It is much more interesting especially if Dylan Alton will continue to be a shell of himself and if Iowa gets Grothus in.

I don't think PSU has a real shot at scoring many points at 133, 149, 157 (again, if Alton is really going to continue to look like he did at B1Gs) and HWT. Iowa, meanwhile could score serious points at 125, 133, 157, 165, 174, 184 and HWT, while also possibly getting a little extra from 141 (looked much better a B1Gs than he had leading up), 149 (looked admittedly bad at B1Gs, but has shown he can beat AA type wrestlers) and 197 (who nearly beat McIntosh and is looking better). So there is a legitimate path for an Iowa victory, I just don't think we'll see it.

I think Iowa can win it. I don't think they will. It is much more interesting especially if Dylan Alton will continue to be a shell of himself and if Iowa gets Grothus in.

I don't think PSU has a real shot at scoring many points at 133, 149, 157 (again, if Alton is really going to continue to look like he did at B1Gs) and HWT. Iowa, meanwhile could score serious points at 125, 133, 157, 165, 174, 184 and HWT, while also possibly getting a little extra from 141 (looked much better a B1Gs than he had leading up), 149 (looked admittedly bad at B1Gs, but has shown he can beat AA type wrestlers) and 197 (who nearly beat McIntosh and is looking better). So there is a legitimate path for an Iowa victory, I just don't think we'll see it.

+1

I would not be at all surprised at all if Iowa won it this year for the reasons Vak explained. But I still think Penn State will eke out enough points for their 4th consecutive. Next year, it will be much more "open" among the top teams

Good post Vakattack, I agree with you. I see PSU struggling at al the weights you mention: 133.149.157. HWT. I also see Iowa having the potential to really rack up points at all of the weights that you mention. I don't see how PSU is a heavy favorite. When a teams title hopes strongly depend on the success of a true freshman, that's a very uncertain thing imo. I wouldn't be surpised to see Matt Brown falter too. They may need to get him in the finals again this year, and I don't see that happening at all. Ed Ruth isn't looking great either. PSU will need his bonus points and wins, and I could actually even see him getting upset this year.

I see this team race as a toss up.

Good post Vakattack, I agree with you. I see PSU struggling at al the weights you mention: 133.149.157. HWT. I also see Iowa having the potential to really rack up points at all of the weights that you mention. I don't see how PSU is a heavy favorite. When a teams title hopes strongly depend on the success of a true freshman, that's a very uncertain thing imo. I wouldn't be surpised to see Matt Brown falter too. They may need to get him in the finals again this year, and I don't see that happening at all. Ed Ruth isn't looking great either. PSU will need his bonus points and wins, and I could actually even see him getting upset this year.

I see this team race as a toss up.

Although I agree with the overall sentiment, I guess have to question the "Ed Ruth isn't looking great either." Your standards are clearly higher than mine.

Although I agree with the overall sentiment, I guess have to question the "Ed Ruth isn't looking great either." Your standards are clearly higher than mine.

By not looking great, I mean I don't see it as a sure thing that he will get bonus points on the guys that he's "supposed" to get them on. I think PSU will need every point they can get. I'm also comparing him to himself going into ncaas last season. This season he looks more beatable, I wouldn't be surpised if he was upset this year, I would have been had he slipped up last year.

I think it is going to be a very tight NCAA's. The draws are going to be huge and I think we will have a better idea after the brackets come out. I favor Penn State at the moment but without a doubt they do not have much room for error. As previously discussed a lot of their edge will depend on where Gulibon, English, & Alton are in the brackets. I also have a funny feeling the committee will give Stieber the 1 seed much to the delight of the PSU faithful.

I agree with those who believe it should be a close race. Some fans may be overestimating Penn State's chances for a couple of reasons. One is the bonus points put up by Taylor and Ruth in the past. However, Iowa also has guys fully capable of bonus wins (Ramos and Clark, for example). Plus, since Taylor and Ruth are so dominant (top two in the NCAA's latest rankings), some guys will likely try to slow things down, keep it close, and try to "steal" a win late in the match. (Even if they lose, that could lessen the point margin.)

The other reason is Penn State's relatively easy dual victory (24 - 12) against the Hawkeyes in their arena. However, that was back in December and Brands does a great job of peaking his team for March. And, more importantly, tournament formats measure team strength differently than dual formats (as we all know).

At any rate, here are the latest InterMat rankings of the top 10 teams going into NCAA's. Their numbers suggest it will be a tight two-horse race. And, given past history, Minnesota and/or Oklahoma State could also make a decent run for the title.

INTERMAT TOURNAMENT RANKINGS

1 Penn State 91

2 Iowa 89

3 Minnesota 78

4 Oklahoma State 73

5 Cornell 57

6 Oklahoma 49

7 Edinboro 42

7 Nebraska 42

9 Missouri 38.5

10 Northern Iowa 36.5

Any thoughts JohnyThompson#1?

Iowa is going to have to rely on bracket placement to pull this one out over Penn State. Primarily in hopes that Green will get knocked off somewhere between the first round and the quarterfinals, before he could potentially meet St. John. While I can see an assortment of individuals including Dieringer and Jordan also knocking off St. John, I honestly think the only person to beat him next week will be Green. Here's to Hawkeye fans asking the soothsayer for Green to repeat history once again and find himself upset early on.

I do think that Grothus will get into the tournament, and with that said he, Dziewa, Burak and Telford will also have to rely heavily on bracket placement as well. Bracket placement for Dziewa is the difference between winning 2 matches and winning 3. Bracket placement for Burak is the difference between finishing R12 or in the 7th/8th place match. Bracket placement for Telford is the difference between quarterfinals and semi-finals.

Looking at it from the other end, Iowa will also have to rely on Penn State's Alton continuing to wrestle like crap and Minnesota's Steinhaus continuing to come up short where he should win. Either one of those guys all of a sudden start to wrestle like they are capable of, it'll throw a major wrench into Iowa's hopes.

My thoughts, for what they're worth.