Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingphish

Jordan Oliver

Has he wrestled in any international competitions since he graduated from Okie State? The only match I can think of against an international opponent is the Beat The Streets match against Kurbaniliev the day after the rule changes.

People seem to think he is the man at 65kg in the future but I feel like if that is going to be the case he should really be competing more internationally.

For sure? What about Kellen Russell? Reece Humphrey? Just because a guy has the highest 'ceiling' doesn't mean he will ever reach it.

I think Oliver is extremely talented but I think his eye might be on the MMA scene. If he does make the 2016 Olympic Team it will be the end of his career and if he doesn't make it a team before then he might go that route even earlier. He has made mention of 'itching to get in the cage'.

For sure? What about Kellen Russell? Reece Humphrey? Just because a guy has the highest 'ceiling' doesn't mean he will ever reach it.

I think Oliver is extremely talented but I think his eye might be on the MMA scene. If he does make the 2016 Olympic Team it will be the end of his career and if he doesn't make it a team before then he might go that route even earlier. He has made mention of 'itching to get in the cage'.

Oliver will beat Russell by 2015 at the latest. Russell beat him in 3 periods (0-1, 2-2, 1-0) in the 2013 US Open finals, so we know that Oliver can already hang with him. Oliver will get a lot better, Russell will get a little better. 2014 US Open will give us better insight, especially with the rule changes.

I'm not sure that Humphrey will go up to 65 in 2016, and that if he does, he'll be big enough. 57 will be tough to make and will have guys like Simmons and Esco, but at 65 he'll be to small and will have to get by an even tougher field.

Coleman Scott probably has the best chance of the former 60kgers (now tweeners) of bumping up to 65, IMO, just because he seems like our biggest 60kg guy.

He tweeted that his next competition will be Vegas in April.

I agree that he does not seem to be "all in" this year. Don't know if this is a training strategy targeting 2016 or what, but personally, if that is the strategy, I think it is a mistake. Putting all your eggs in an Olympic year is foolish. World championships should be (almost equally) coveted each year.

As Angry_Fish said, he will be competing at the US Open. I'm fairly certain he had some lingering injuries from the college season that carried over since he went almost immediately into the freestyle circuit. Another thing, wrestling 133 to 149 down to 145 down to 143, he might've wanted his body time to heal and adjust to the weight properly. Remember guys, Burroughs took off from Worlds until Yasar Dogu. Give the kid a break. If he does poorly at the Open and WTT, then we can talk. Oh and his new Flips are sick!

I've always been fascinated by people who can so accurately see into the future. Maybe you can explain your definitive statement?

Oliver will get a lot better, Russell will get a little better. 2014 US Open will give us better insight, especially with the rule changes.

I've always been fascinated by people who can so accurately see into the future. Maybe you can explain your definitive statement?

Oliver will get a lot better, Russell will get a little better. 2014 US Open will give us better insight, especially with the rule changes.

-----

Indeed. Saying what will happen two years from now "for sure" is silly. It could be Oliver. It could be Russell. And yes it could be Metcalf. Not to mention who knows who else (Stieber, Pico, Retherford etc) could make some noise 2 years from now.

I have a crystal ball.

My opinions on Oliver vs the rest of the USA field are just that: my opinions. I apologize for not prefacing my posts with that fact. Take them for what you will.

He's the 2016 guy for sure. Metcalf may sneak in a world team spot in 2014, or '15, and Pico has shots at the 2017-20 teams, but Oliver is our guy with the highest skill ceiling that will peak by 2016. No need to rush him right now.

And what about the others??

You tell me.....No mention of Pico in 2016, yet in 2017, he will be our guy, and for four years running?

I never said that Pico would be the guy "four years running," but rather that he'll have "shots at the 2017-20 teams." Burroughs wasn't on the radar in the 2010 WTT, then won a world championship in 2011, so it wouldn't be unprecedented for Pico to not make the team in '16, then be the guy in '17.

He's the 2016 guy for sure. Metcalf may sneak in a world team spot in 2014, or '15, and Pico has shots at the 2017-20 teams, but Oliver is our guy with the highest skill ceiling that will peak by 2016. No need to rush him right now.

GranbyTroll's 2016 65kg Depth Chart

1) Oliver

2) Metcalf

3) Strieber

4) ?

Well the top five from 2013 were Brent Metcalf, Kellen Russell, Jordan Oliver, Chase Pami and Adam Hall. Which one of them can maintain 143 for that long.

I love how some people were predicting Metcalf would fade away because hew as too old, and Oliver was going to dominate this weight.

Metcalf is still the king.

Oliver appears to have regressed to me. Not as quick and explosive. Not as offensive. Multiple guys who can beat him now, not just Metcalf.

Meanwhile, "old man" Metcalf is as dominant as he has ever been.