Sign in to follow this  
TheOhioState

2014 NCAA D1 Brackets

I read the thread that was created last week regarding Penn State getting a bunch of bad seeds. I reviewed the bracket again and have to say nobody gets a break at this tournament. With exception to 165 there are no certainties this year. Nine out of ten weight classes have no clear front runner.

I read the thread that was created last week regarding Penn State getting a bunch of bad seeds. I reviewed the bracket again and have to say nobody gets a break at this tournament. With exception to 165 there are no certainties this year. Nine out of ten weight classes have no clear front runner.

I think Stieber is a clear front runner, even though he did not get the # 1 seed. I also think that Ruth is the front runner as well. The top half of that bracket caught a break. Other than those two & Taylor, every other weight seems wide open.

I think Stieber is a clear front runner, even though he did not get the # 1 seed. I also think that Ruth is the front runner as well. The top half of that bracket caught a break. Other than those two & Taylor, every other weight seems wide open.

I thought about Ruth, and don't think he will have trouble with Dean if they meet in the Semis. I think Stieber has to get past Retherford if Retherford makes it to the semis, and I don't think we can take Port lightly, at all. Port has dominated everyone all season. The last match between Retherford was closer than it appeared. At first I thought, Stieber dominated with his 7-3 dec. over Retherford. After watching it again Retherford owned Stieber on top again when he got the reversal. "If" he could have taken RT away, got one escape, and avoided the cheap tilt the match is tied. I know, a lot of ifs, but they are not too far apart from each other to rule out another Retherford "upset" over Stieber (that's if Retherford gets past Ugi, Bright and Dardanes). Dardanes' 6 seed is a much better path to Stieberville than Retherford's 3 see. for the first two rounds.

I thought about Ruth, and don't think he will have trouble with Dean if they meet in the Semis. I think Stieber has to get past Retherford if Retherford makes it to the semis, and I don't think we can take Port lightly, at all. Port has dominated everyone all season. The last match between Retherford was closer than it appeared. At first I thought, Stieber dominated with his 7-3 dec. over Retherford. After watching it again Retherford owned Stieber on top again when he got the reversal. "If" he could have taken RT away, got one escape, and avoided the cheap tilt the match is tied. I know, a lot of ifs, but they are not too far apart from each other to rule out another Retherford "upset" over Stieber (that's if Retherford gets past Ugi, Bright and Dardanes). Dardanes' 6 seed is a much better path to Stieberville than Retherford's 3 see. for the first two rounds.

The chance of another Retherford victory over Stieber in the semi finals is LOW:

1) Stieber is good for two takedowns on Retherford. (4-2)

2) Retherford may be able to ride Stieber, but he won't turn him. (4-3)

So even if Steiber can only muster one takedown (unlikely), and even if Stieber can't hit his cheap tilt (unlikely), he will not have to choose the down position.

Basically what I'm arguing is that it's way easier for Stieber to study the tape from last match and ensure that he doesn't give up a reversal (i.e. 1 not 2), than it is for Retherfrod to study the tape and change all of the things that went wrong for him.

I am a big fan of Retherford, and I think he's going to be a 2 time NCAA champ, but I just don't see him beating Stieber again unless he can SOMEHOW prevent Stieber from getting a takedown for 7 minutes.

Steiber will dominate Port in the finals (if Port even makes it).

Retherford and Stieber will certainly meet in the semi finals, though. I don't know what the big deal is about Ugi, because he hasn't beaten anyone this year and has some really forgetable losses. I think people are just trying to hype up this match to build excitement, but realistically how does Retherford's lose to Ugi? Ugi won't be able to do anything on bottom.

In my opinion the Ruth versus Dean match is going to be the match of the tournament. Ruth did not have an answer for Dean in the Southern Scuffle finals. I don't think Ruth had a bad match, I don't think Dean hit one or two lucky moves, I think that Dean out wrestled him.