Sign in to follow this  
AnklePicker

If Dake wins it this year...

You can't be serious. Pretty sure going unbeaten and a 4 time Outstanding Wrestler at the NCAA tourney might trump that. You Could argue for second best and probably get in a heated debate with many people on here. Doubt to many people will waste there time arguing with you on who is the best.

You can't be serious. Pretty sure going unbeaten and a 4 time Outstanding Wrestler at the NCAA tourney might trump that. You Could argue for second best and probably get in a heated debate with many people on here. Doubt to many people will waste there time arguing with you on who is the best.

I would be ever more slightly impressed by Dake. Again, it's a big if. But 4 titles, 4 different weights, no redshirt, and in the middle weights which most people know as the deepest and toughest in wrestling? I understand anyone who insists it's still Cael, though.

I think most of the posters on here realize a greyshirt is basically the same thing. However, I don't recall Dake doing so. If he did so then I would agree that the no redshirt argument holds little to no water.

He didn't.

The other misconception and it was posted on intermat is that he has a loss each of his first 3 seasons, which he doesn't of course being undefeated last year.

4 losses, 2 in TB, 1 in reg OT, and 1 in regulation

Unfortunately I don't think it will even be treated like it's that big of a deal. It's rather sad to me to think that a four time NCAA champion won't get the recognition and credit that he deserves simply because he didn't do it "undefeated", but with the expectation of impeccability, good luck.

Not treated like a big deal? By whom? I think everyone who knows wrestling understands the significance of the accomplishment were it to happen. Obviously it's a big if.

IA Hawk, Were you one of the boo birds at NCAAs last year? Bow to Dake's greatness.

It would be a great feat. Perhaps the most incredible over a collegiate career.

But something else that does deserve comparison are the athletes at each of the weights.

Cael Sanderson won weights that had eventual NCAA national champs in Vering, Munoz, Rohn, and Hahn.

He also won weights that would have multi US World and Olympic Team members in Vering (Greco world silver), Eggum (free world silver), Cormier (free world bronze), Ruiz (Greco world bronze) and Hrovat.

Kyle Dake has had no control over which wrestlers are at the weights he’s competed. At this time, the only wrestlers at any of his weights that have won a national championship are Molinaro and Darrion Caldwell. They were all at the same weight the year he beat Molinaro in the finals. However, Caldwell was injured in the 2nd round of the tournament, withdrew and dnp.

Should Dake win 165, and if he and Taylor are both there I believe he does, maybe wait a couple of seasons to see what his contemporaries are able to accomplish before the “Best Ever” claim is presented.

Here is a statistic that is very impressive. Cael only had 17 matched which were by decision;

The third column is his record at the time during the year of the match.

[table] [tr] [td]James Brimm (Michigan State)[/td] [td]W-D 5-0[/td] [td]14-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Greg Gingeleskie (Navy)[/td] [td]W-D 5-0[/td] [td]15-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Tom Ciezki (Northwestern)[/td] [td]W-D 6-3[/td] [td]18-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Mark Munoz (Oklahoma State)[/td] [td]W-D 5-1[/td] [td]20-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Vertus Jones (West Virginia)[/td] [td]W-D 6-5[/td] [td]26-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Casey Strand (Arizona State)[/td] [td]W-D 6-2[/td] [td]31-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Brad Vering (Nebraska)[/td] [td]W-D 9-5[/td] [td]34-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Brandon Eggum (Minnesota)[/td] [td]W-D 6-1[/td] [td]39-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Brandon Eggum (Minnesota)[/td] [td]W-D 7-4[/td] [td]2-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Damion Hahn (Minnesota)[/td] [td]W-D 4-3[/td] [td]6-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Lionel Halsey (Cal-Bakersfield)[/td] [td]W-D 5-1[/td] [td]17-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Nate Patrick (Illinois)[/td] [td]W-D 7-2[/td] [td]18-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Brandon Eggum (Minnesota)[/td] [td]W-D 6-1[/td] [td]29-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Daniel Cormier (Oklahoma State)[/td] [td]W-D 8-4[/td] [td]35-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Daniel Cormier (Oklahoma St.)[/td] [td]W-D, 8-3[/td] [td]35-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Daniel Cormier (Oklahoma St.)[/td] [td]W-D, 8-4[/td] [td]40-0[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]Jon Trenge (Lehigh)[/td] [td]W-D, 6-1[/td] [td]27-0[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Doesn't matter. Never being beat speaks for it self. Dake could have been better by not losing 4 times. Simple as that. That 0 in that column speaks for itself. What if Taylor beats Dake and only has 1 loss ever. I'm sure you that favor Dake in the greatest ever wouldn't say the same about DT if it were to flip here. Just sayin!

Four weights, four titles is a great piece of trivia, but not a reason for or against him in a case for the best ever. I've said it before, but I don't give him credit for growing. Argue abillity, argue quality of opponents, argue whatever you want, but you don't get credit for growing.

Also, not only did Cael only have just 17 decisions in four years, he only had four matches last seven minutes during his senior season.

If Dake wins this year, they're both 4x champs, but I don't really see them as comparable beyond that. Cael eviscerated the competition in a way we've never seen and are unlikely to ever see from Dake.

Actually in contact sports you do get credit for "growing." In boxing they credit it all of the time. It's one of the most impressive things about Floyd Mayweather. That his skills are able to translate vs any size opponent. It's a very big deal.

Hmmm. Well who's career would you rather have? Tough to say. If Dake wins this year, at this point that means that he takes out the defending Hodge winner and stamps his career with an exclamation. Tough to beat 4 titles at 4 different weights. But impossible to beat an undefeated career. Cael by the slimmest of margins.

Unfortunately I don't think it will even be treated like it's that big of a deal. It's rather sad to me to think that a four time NCAA champion won't get the recognition and credit that he deserves simply because he didn't do it "undefeated", but with the expectation of impeccability, good luck.

** Sad alert **

Hmmm. Well who's career would you rather have? Tough to say. If Dake wins this year, at this point that means that he takes out the defending Hodge winner and stamps his career with an exclamation. Tough to beat 4 titles at 4 different weights. But impossible to beat an undefeated career. Cael by the slimmest of margins.

My thoughts as well. If Dake wins again, in his new weight class, it will still be:

1. Cael

2. Dake

3. Smith

Collegiate only ...