Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Best of 2014 to not qualify

125 Camden Eppert senior Purdue - Eppert just missed qualifying for the NCAA tournament for the third time in his final season as a boilermaker. While never one to threaten for AA status, he was always a strong addition to the Purdue lineup and often helped them to win dual meets. Keynote wins this year were over Sam Brancale of Minnesota and NCAA qualifier Nick Roberts of Ohio State.

149 Caleb Ervin sophomore Illinois - Technically you can say that Ervin isn't going to the NCAA tournament this year because he did not qualify, but to be fair he has battled injuries all season long. Never the less out of the few matches he was able to wrestle this year, he does hold wins over NCAA qualifiers Bryce Busler of Bloomsburg and Brody Grothus of Iowa. Also keep in mind that last year he majored Dylan Ness in a dual meet. Look for a healthy Ervin to contend for All American Status the next two years.

174 Lee Munster Junior Northwestern - I'm not exactly sure what was up with him this year, but I'm going to guess injury. Before he all but disappeared Munster took a fairly impressive 2nd at the Keystone Classic. While he was red hot for a spec his freshman year, most fans have since either written him off or forgotten about him. It'll be interesting to see if he can redeem himself in his final year as a wildcat next season.

197 Caleb Kolb senior Nebraska - Despite not qualifying for the NCAA's this year, Kolb ought to still be pretty proud of himself, as should his teammates, coaches and Cornhusker fans. Over the year's he was one of the most improved wrestlers I've ever seen. I think the Kolb of yesteryear would have gotten smoked, and the Kolb of today was taken the likes of Nick Heflin, Nathan Burak and Braden Atwood to 1 or 2 point matches. I really think that if he had another year or two left he could've really made some strides. Nothing to hang his head about, he went out fighting.

149 Luke Goettl junior Iowa State - Goettl's biggest problem is that he is so damn inconsistent. He's shown us more than once in the past that he has the ability to win big matches, he just can't seem to get in a grove. He'll beat someone ranked in the top 15, and then lose 3 matches in a row to nobodies. He has got to learn that winning isn't a sometimes thing, it's an all time thing. He does that, and he may finally have a season reflective of his capability.

157 John Nicholson senior Iowa State - I just don't think Nicholson's heart was in it this year. He didn't seem happy and seemed ready for it to be over. He did finish a strong 2nd at the Harold Nichols Open though and did qualify for the NCAA's last year.

133 Garrett Frey senior Princeton - I guess if life were always like it ought to be Frey would have won the EIWA in his brother's honor and then gone on to AA at the NCAA's. Unfortunately though life doesn't always turn out the way it should and it can give us very dark moments when we most hope for light. My heart goes out to Frey and I wish things could've been different for him. Nevertheless he did make the NCAA tournament three times and the EIWA finals twice.

149 Adam Krop junior Princeton - A little rusty this year after a year off, but still managed to win the Binghamton open and take 2nd at the Navy classic. Look for Krop to have ironed out all the kinks by the start of next year and be a force to be reckoned with.

149 Chris Castillo sophomore Boise State - I sorta feel like Castillo got the short end of the stick when it comes to who got selected and who didn't. After all he finished 2nd in the PAC-12 behind 2 time AA Scott Sakaguchi who he had beaten earlier in the season. I think Castillo will win the PAC-12 the next two years and fight for AA status.

157 Max Schneider freshman Cal Poly - Was undefeated before suffering a 2 point down to the wire loss to Michigan's Brian Murphy that ended his season. I've said it twice already and now I'm saying it a third time. Schneider could very well be the biggest surprised of 2015. I'm talking NCAA champion material. Yes, I do believe he is that good.

157 Brett Baumbach senior Stanford - I'm not exactly sure what happened to him. Nevertheless he ends his career with wins this year over NCAA qualifiers Josh Kreimier of Air Force, Luke Smith of Central Michigan and Immanuel Kerr-Brown of Duke. He also won the PAC-12 title last year as a junior.

157 Andy McCulley senior Wyoming - McCulley had a lot of things going against him, injuries, a weak schedule and inconsistency. He did however show more than once during his career and ability to win important matches. He just never could find his groove.

157 Kyle Bradley senior Missouri - I'm not judging anyone here because I do not know what happened and furthermore I do not know why it happened. Regardless of opinions, it is a fact that Bradley is one of the best wrestlers not attending the NCAA tournament this year. An 8th place finish at the notoriously tough Midlands tournament as well as 2 wins over WWC champion Cody Pack, and a win over Immanuel Kerr-Brown do more than enough to prove that. Bradley was a three time NCAA qualifier looking for his fourth trip.

184 Sam Wheeler of Kent State - Opinions vary greatly here on whether he got what he deserved or his punishment was too harsh. Nevermind all that, Wheeler showed great promise this year with a 3rd place finish at the Southern Scuffle and wins over Kevin Steinhaus, Nolan Body and Phil Joseph. He has two years left to hopefully concentrate on wrestling and do what he very well could have done this year.

Max soria from buffalo a two time qualifier already, just couldnt put it together.

He has one more year left doesn't he?

Two more I thought of that I'm not real sure what happened to either of them....

Ryan Watts of Michigan State, who I believe was a junior this year. Two wins of Scheidel and a win over Pena earlier this year.

Kyle Colling junior Arizona State who had an impressive victory over Adam Chalfant at the beginning of the year.

Eppert qualified for nationals twice even two matches one year.

125 Camden Eppert senior Purdue- Eppert just missed qualifying for the NCAA tournament for the third time in his final season as a boilermaker. While never one to threaten for AA status, he was always a strong addition to the Purdue lineup and often helped them to win dual meets. Keynote wins this year were over Sam Brancale of Minnesota and NCAA qualifier Nick Roberts of Ohio State.

Wyoming has a weak schedule? Since when?

McCulley had 20 wins this season, who were they against? Granted yes, Wyoming did wrestle some tough teams this year, but I think for the sake of Qualifying the the NCAA's they could've wrestled a few more. I don't think all 33 wrestlers at 157 are better than McCulley and had he gotten to see some of them throughout the season, I think he'd have beaten them. Thus, maybe he'd be there and they wouldn't.

Unfortunately, Bret Baumbach suffered a season (and career) ending knee injury late in the season during a dual. Really a sad thing, Bret is a great kid and a very good wrestler. I'm pretty sure he would be in the tourney had the injury not happened. Hate to see a career end like that.