Sign in to follow this  
Itmeagain

Ryan Diehl NCWA?

Looks like Ryan Diehl who's career record is 174-5 and wrestled and beat some of PA's best 120Lbs wrestlers who can forget the headlock to pin Moisey in the state finals...is wrestling for Liberty University and competing at the NCWA championships....

My question is how did this dude end up their? I know he attracted D1 and 2 schools... so what sells Liberty to a wrestler

This is what Maryland coach Kerry McCoy said in an interview in October:

"Ryan is going to be coming in next year. He had to get some stuff straight academically but we've got him on track to get in here."

The interview is about University of Maryland wrestling. That's the only mention of Diehl. Here's the link, if anyone's interested:

http://www.testudotimes.com/2013/10/29/ ... erry-mccoy

^^Right, the UMD plan is to have former WV/PIAA champ Ryan Diehl enroll fall of 2014. So 2015 I guess he redshirts at 133, since UMD has 2X NCAAQ Geoff Alexander and 1X NCAAQ Tyler Goodwin both returning at that weight. Alexander has two more years of NCAA eligibility and Goodwin has three. With addition of Diehl, UMD will have 133 well covered.

^^Right, the UMD plan is to have former WV/PIAA champ Ryan Diehl enroll fall of 2014. So 2015 I guess he redshirts at 133, since UMD has 2X NCAAQ Geoff Alexander and 1X NCAAQ Tyler Goodwin both returning at that weight. Alexander has two more years of NCAA eligibility and Goodwin has three. With addition of Diehl, UMD will have 133 well covered.

Makes you wonder why he couldn't find a different D1 program with a little more room at 133.

Ryan gave Jason Nolf his only loss in High School...

I guess you mean for official record, right? Nolf has been beaten more than just once since he's been in high school.

Pretty sure that's what he meant. That was semi-finals in Nolf's sophomore year. They wrestled again at the Disney Duals last year:

ROADKILL, I ain't the brightest bulb in the house. I assumed that, since Liberty does not have an NCAA wrestling program, that Diehl's NCAA clock will not start running until next fall. I flat-out don't know and defer to those who do. -Stove Pipe

My understanding is that this season would count as a season of eligibility if Liberty provides ANY support to his competing. It is my understanding that Liberty provides support to the program with a paid coaching staff. (They have the same coach as when they were D1 and I think the school was committed to keeping the program just not varsity). Based on my understanding of the rules, he has been competing attached and representing a an organized team (and one for a university) even if not one with varsity status. Additionally, he has competed in duals against other college teams classified as varsity programs.

Based on my understanding on how participation in collegiate club sports effects eligibility, he clock started at Liberty and he burned a year of eligibility at Liberty.

Things could have changed but I do know there was an issue with the use of clubs to develop athletes in other sports and the NCAA counted it against their eligibility.

The only way his clock has not started is if he is a part time student. If he was at a local Jr college that did not offer wrestling, as long as he is a full time student his clock starts. I copied this "The most important thing to understand about the five-year clock in NCAA Division I is that is starts once the student-athlete enrolls full-time at any collegiate educational institution [two-year or four-year institution]. Once the five-year clock starts, it does not stop."

My understanding is that this season would count as a season of eligibility if Liberty provides ANY support to his competing. It is my understanding that Liberty provides support to the program with a paid coaching staff. (They have the same coach as when they were D1 and I think the school was committed to keeping the program just not varsity). Based on my understanding of the rules, he has been competing attached and representing a an organized team (and one for a university) even if not one with varsity status. Additionally, he has competed in duals against other college teams classified as varsity programs.

Based on my understanding on how participation in collegiate club sports effects eligibility, he clock started at Liberty and he burned a year of eligibility at Liberty.

Things could have changed but I do know there was an issue with the use of clubs to develop athletes in other sports and the NCAA counted it against their eligibility.

Even if Liberty didn't have a club team, his 5-year clock would have started running when he entered school (assuming he enrolled as a full-time student and attended the first day of classes). To get approval for a 5-year waiver, Diehl would need to show that he couldn't wrestle at Liberty due to circumstances beyond his (or the institution's) control. However, the NCAA by-laws specifically state that a student-athlete’s decision to attend an institution that does not sponsor his sport is considered to be within the control of the student-athlete.

Not sure of the details but but he was getting handled in Virgina by a Young Gun wrestler at the duals. there were several closes calls had his dad was going crazy and he got a couple of breaks. I am sure the Young Gun Group of PA parents were fired up that someone was taking it to him, we were one set of bleachers over so I don't have details. Other then some older gentleman saying that kid handed it to Diehl

First off Diehl is at Liberty(in Virgina-not close to Maryland)--a 4 year college(hey he might be only taking a few classes--don't know) but he cannot live in Dorms if not a full time student, so I would guess Diehl is a full time student. The Cornell wrestlers who defer enrollment live together(in off campus housing) and only take a couple classes.

And again I do not know Diehl's situation but he could not get into Maryland, he might not have passed the NCAA clearinghouse to be eligible for D-1. In that case here is what happens for a Non-qualifier:

Ineligible for athletically-related financial aid, practice and competition during your first year at a NCAA member institution.

You have 4 years to play 3 seasons in your sport if you maintain your eligibility from year to year.*

* Non-qualifiers have the ability to gain back a year of eligibility if they complete at least 80 percent of their degree prior to the beginning of their fifth year of college.

Roadkill - Yes, his clock started. I was not disputing that point but rather saying I also think he has burned a year of eligibility.

Per Finger Lakes - those guys can take classes full time at a community college and then transfer in to Cornell and the NCAA will consider it their redshirt year (they still have their 4 years to compete in 5 with using the one free year). Yes, there is no redshirting in the Ivy League, but just as there is no redshirting in D3, if you redshirt before you are a part of that league or division it doesn't count against you. The only impact it would have would be if there were a season ending injury. For example, if Nickerson had gone the Finger Lakes route he wouldn't have been granted his medical redshirt since he would have already been granted a year by the NCAA so he would have required a sixth year waiver which requires two missed seasons due to injury.

Pretty sure that's what he meant. That was semi-finals in Nolf's sophomore year. They wrestled again at the Disney Duals last year:

Nolf really took it to Diehl in that match. Did Jason got an OW at Disney Duals? He flat out dominated everyone.

I am wondering if Diehl could get down to 125 for the terps next year when he is wrestling in a d1 room. There is a log jam at 133 with Alexander and Tyler Goodwin and 41 has Bannister coming in. I believe the plan is for them to move Brown up to 149?

125-Rappo/Diehl?/recruit

133-G. Alexander (can TY Goodwin redshirt, he enrolled at UMD a year after coming out of HS)

141- Bannister/Sanchez (had a nice year)/Ty Goodwin/Diehl?

149- Shy Brown

A few scenerios that could play out. Terps are going to the Big ten next year so really need to be ready to go.

from the front page:

Meanwhile, Liberty wrestlers were only 4-4 in the quarterfinals, and of the four that advanced, only one, Ryan Diehl, moved ahead to the final. Diehl’s (34-0) finals match at 133 pounds is one of the highlights of Saturday’s finals that begin at 3 p.m., as the undefeated freshman takes on another undefeated wrestler in now four-time All-American Sam Shames (39-0) of MIT. Shames is the top seed with Diehl second, and both have won all four of their matches by fall or technical fall. Shames was the national champion at 125 last year.