Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

The Ramos Stare

This is definitely one of the most polarizing issues on this board. I wonder why? This happens in SOOO many other sports. In fact, it happens a lot in DI. It just isn't done ritually like Ramos and the other wrestlers are NOT from Iowa. I have NO issue with it. He is intense. He stares at people before he wrestles. Whoopdy doo! It doesn't hurt anybody. In the end, I think it is great because it often makes me laugh or at least puts a smile on my face. I would rather see a guy show he is 100% committed to wrestling than see no emotion whatsoever.....

Once would be enough for me to stop.

Interesting logic. If something you do is associated with success 90% of the time would you be more likely to continue doing it? Now please don't cite something like driving with a hat on while driving drunk. Obviously you shouldn't be driving drunk in the first place, so having a hat on really has nothing to do with the situation.

Interesting logic. If something you do is associated with success 90% of the time would you be more likely to continue doing it? Now please don't cite something like driving with a hat on while driving drunk. Obviously you shouldn't be driving drunk in the first place, so having a hat on really has nothing to do with the situation.

I'm not going to try to overanalyze something as stupid as this is, but let's just say that if the stare is an attempt to try to look like a badbutt, and/or an attempt to try to intimidate, if one then goes out and gets completely shelled by someone, I would think that the stare has now been rendered useless and makes one look like a nimrod, rather than intimidating. ;)

Done deal.

I'm not going to try to overanalyze something as stupid as this is, but let's just say that if the stare is an attempt to try to look like a badbutt, and/or an attempt to try to intimidate, if one then goes out and gets completely shelled by someone, I would think that the stare has now been rendered useless and makes one look like a nimrod, rather than intimidating. ;)

Done deal.

I think he does it more for HIMSELF than the affect it has on anyone else. It is part of his pre-match routine to get himself ready to go. I have no issue with anyone disliking it. I simply think those of you who do not like it put more into it than there really is.

I love it. I'm not a huge fan of him, but he's confident. Why stop after one loss? It's his thing. This is just college sports, not world changing situations. Plus, the guy across from him is usually doing some sort of stalk-back-and-forth-muscle-slap-thing...what's the difference? I like the eye contact, to it me it shows true confidence in oneself.

I also love:

Lebron's "The Decision"

Ali calling Frazier a "Gorilla" or whatever he said

McEnroe saying "Are you serious?"

Iverson "talkin' about practice"

Pete Weber, a professional bowler, taunting the audience "Who do you think you are? I am! Dammit right!"

All this adds to the entertainment of sports. It shouldn't be taken so seriously. I can't imagine how I'd act if my collegiate wrestling record was 115-14 with a couple titles to boot.

I admit, I had to google the Weber quote.

I agree with you on the Colon/Ramos thing. I thought it was super funny when Colon blasted Ramos after watching his idiotic stare.

But this post has me a bit conflicted. So, is this anything like arguing with ??someone on a message board, and getting toasted in that argument, and then proceeding to get the moderators involved and send threatening private messages? If you want to send out the vibe that you are tough and witty, then get torched in an argument, then by your logic you shouldn't pass yourself off as tough or witty anymore. But for some reason, it's not the same. Please advise...

Done deal.

Yes, of course I sent you threatening pm's: you insulted my mother, who is dying of Alzheimer's disease, and then cowardly, deleted your posts where you insulted her. If you're up for settling that issue, PLEASE PM me and I'm sure we can come up with something. I, at least, know where you live, so you're not too far away. No stare will be needed either, trust me. ;)

Now, regarding you "torching me in an argument," refresh my memory on that one, as I don't recall, it, Rush.

Yes, of course I sent you threatening pm's: you insulted my mother, who is dying of Alzheimer's disease, if I recall right. If you're up for settling that issue, PLEASE PM me and I'm sure we can come up with something. I, at least, know where you live, so you're not too far. No stare will be needed either, trust me. ;)

Now, regarding you "torching me in an argument," refresh my memory on that one, as I don't recall, it, Rush.

Wow! Ban is a bad mutha.....

On a lighter note, Two Irish guys walk into a bar....

As stated anonymously on the internet. You can PM me too, boy. I think you could whoop me!

Still holding onto the Irish jokes, eh? Hurry, run, Duck Call Makers is on tv. You need some interlectural stimuerlation! :lol:

Ban, just out of curiousity, why do you assume anyone who has an opinion contrary to yours to be a redneck? You always tell people to go watch Duck Dynasty or NASCAR or something of the like. Is there a reason for this or are you just not witty enough to come back with something original?

To me the Ramos stare is just an elevated sense of focus / Tunnelvision different athletes have different ways of expressing it. Not everyone has this ability and for the other members of this site I have no idea. I can only speak from personal experience often this type of "Stare" is simply letting your opponent know they better be ready to wrestle and or his way of focusing himself. Looking at Ramos I think this Stare is sincere and not just a front or form of intimidation

Ban, just out of curiousity, why do you assume anyone who has an opinion contrary to yours to be a redneck? You always tell people to go watch Duck Dynasty or NASCAR or something of the like. Is there a reason for this or are you just not witty enough to come back with something original?

I don't know, but I'll put it this way: given the fact that someone still finds the story of the Irish jokes to still be amusing from a full ten or more years ago, all the while coupled with the fact that I'm all for jokes against white people these days, how else should I reply?

"Gee, Serial Thriller, that was a deep though, indeed! Well put!"

Got it now?