Sign in to follow this  
leshismore

This is why DIII should still be allowed in DI

There are kids at d11 and d111 that are very good no doubt. they just do not go through the grind that a d1 wrestler most go through. I liked it better when they where allowed to advance. Always had the few upsets and AA's you never seen coming.

Kind of like rooting for little school in basketball brackets.

Yes, except the little school in the basketball brackets are all D-1 schools. I am in no way demeaning DII or DIII wrestlers, but the NCAA allows 330 wrestlers into the tournament and in no way should any D-1 wrestlers lose a spot so the champs of other divisions can move in. There are many reasons why wrestlers choose DII or DIII, small school, close to home, a great school, don't want the DI grind etc. But some do not go to DI because they could not qualify thru the NCAA clearinghouse--which in the next couple years is making the GPA and SAT combo a little higher.

There are kids at d11 and d111 that are very good no doubt. they just do not go through the grind that a d1 wrestler most go through. I liked it better when they where allowed to advance. Always had the few upsets and AA's you never seen coming.

Kind of like rooting for little school in basketball brackets.

What schedule the D2 and D3 kids have is irrelevant. Brands or J Rob could run the toughest program anywhere, but if it is at a D2 or D3 the eligibility requirements, admission standards, scholarship/assistance regulations would not be within the D1 structure. Not likely any of the powers would give others a pass on being able to recruit, admit, and retain wrestlers who aren't eligible for their team/division.

I wish they could allow those who did meet D1 requirements individually but went to a lower division school anyway. But then there would be the concern about being able to provide them with unfair (D1 inelligible) training partners on their team. Maybe if the whole team was D1 regulated?

The other concern is not allowing more than one national championship. Lower divisions were never eligible for the D1 team scoring (but they influenced those that were). However, individuals were able on a number of occasions to win two national titles the same year, in the same sport.

Lets put this in perspective a bit....Nevermind the fact that this was 2 years ago and freestyle,

This year....against D1 competition

Nazar lost 6-5 to Scott Liegel who didnt even qualify for NCAAs

and

John Greishiermer from Edinboro at midlands

This is what I was saying about some come through

I can only speak when I wrestled may have missed a few: 1980-1983

1980 Joe Gonzales Champ d11 & D1 champ

Acevedo Champ d 11& d1 champ

142 Baclaso d11 and d1 AA

Perry Shea 8 D11 Champ D1 AA

Tom Martucci d111 and d1 champ

Frank Famiano D111 champ D1 AA

Lou Montano D11 champ D1 AA

Pat Odonell D1 AA

Frank Famiano AA

Ron Winnie AA

Lou Montano AA

Thats what I rember . may have missed a few

Carlton Haselrig (born January 22, 1966 in Johnstown, Pennsylvania) is a former heavyweight wrestler and NFL player. Haselrig wrestled for University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. He holds the distinction of being the only person to win six NCAA titles in wrestling, winning 3 times in Division II and 3 times in Division I, all six for Pitt–Johnstown.[1] Haselrig then moved on to professional football, where he play five seasons in the NFL. In 2008, he made his mixed martial arts debut in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

I'm sure there are a lot of others. He always is the first I think of

What D2, D3 & NAIA wrestlers also won D1 NCAA National Championships?

Three in the same year. Don Rohn, Wade Schalles, Bill Simpson all of Clarion in 1973. (Rohn wasn't D2 champ. Finished 3rd behind Larry Morgan-CalPoly and Greg Maestas-Western State.)

There were plenty of lower division D1 AA's before they were disallowed, and a few NAIA's too.

Three in the same year. Don Rohn, Wade Schalles, Bill Simpson all of Clarion in 1973. (Rohn wasn't D2 champ. Finished 3rd behind Larry Morgan-CalPoly and Greg Maestas-Western State.)

There were plenty of lower division D1 AA's before they were disallowed, and a few NAIA's too.

Not that this changes your point but back then I believe it was called the Small College Division.

Lets put this in perspective a bit....Nevermind the fact that this was 2 years ago and freestyle,

This year....against D1 competition

Nazar lost 6-5 to Scott Liegel who didnt even qualify for NCAAs

and

John Greishiermer from Edinboro at midlands

Yeah, Liegel didn't qualify. It's hard to do that when you're redshirting.

Not that this changes your point but back then I believe it was called the Small College Division.

Yeah, something like that. I think it was College division. University division for what we currently call D1. Wrestling stats.com starts records of D3 in 1974.

This is what I was saying about some come through

I can only speak when I wrestled may have missed a few: 1980-1983

Frank Famiano D111 champ D1 AA

Lou Montano D11 champ D1 AA

Pat Odonell D1 AA

Frank Famiano AA

Ron Winnie AA

Lou Montano AA

Thats what I rember . may have missed a few

Lou Montano and Pat O'Donnell both wrestled for Cal Poly in 1982 and 83. It had been D1 for at least 5 years by 1982.

When the rule was put into effect, most D3 coaches supported the change. That was because Trenton State (TCNJ) was getting D1 recruits. At that theme Trenton State was a powerhouse. Since the rule change, The College of New Jersey is now merely an above average program. Those in the "know" knew that it was a way to balance the playing field in D3. D1 coaches liked the rule change because they never liked their kid being bumped out of an AA spot by a D3 or D2 athlete.

It's interesting to note that D3 is flourishing but D1 is dieing. Any one have thoughts as to why?