Sign in to follow this  
leshismore

This is why DIII should still be allowed in DI

Lets put this in perspective a bit....Nevermind the fact that this was 2 years ago and freestyle,

This year....against D1 competition

Nazar lost 6-5 to Scott Liegel who didnt even qualify for NCAAs

and

John Greishiermer from Edinboro at midlands

This was Seth Liegel - younger brother of Scott. Seth was a red-shirt this year for the Badgers.

Nazar is a three time DIII champ and he was beaten by a guy who is not a lock to be in the Badger lineup next year.

While there may have been a number of exceptions to the rule - especially years ago, these days it simply isn't correct to think that every DIII or DII guy out there who has some success at that level could survive at DI. Yes, there are going to be some exceptions to that rule, but not as many as there used to be "back in the day."

Maybe your right. But If they are all going to just get killed, then it won't matter, let them fill out a few of the pig tail matches and be a warm up.

Certainly it's better than just having byes.

There has to be a cut off somewhere so I think the way it use to be with just the champions being allowed in worked well. Allows the single best guy from each NCAA division into the big show without watering down what it takes to wrestle there.

And it would force wrestling fans to follow the lower (higher?) Divisions... Since they don't right now... Like at all.

TJ Hepburn looked like he could have made some noise a couple of seasons ago. he had some wins over a couple of big names.

It may not happen often, but that is what makes/would make it exciting.

Exactly.

People are always saying how wrestling isn't healthy and we need to change things well right here we have that opportunity. Excitement, unpredictability, increased exposure to small programs, with very minimal risk (its already been successful).

Seems like a much better & safer option than other recently proposed changes.

I love seeing the best wrestlers from the other divisions pulling upsets at Midlands but I do not support adding other division athletes into the D1 Championship.

These athletes could wrestle in Division-I if they want. I am sure Cleveland State, Sacred Heart, and Bakersfield would all love to have D2 National Champions as a part of their program. But if they are not a part of D1 programs they should not be wrestling in the D1 Championships. It is simple.

Now, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them getting more matches against D1 Athletes. I wouldn't mind seeing some D2 studs getting D1 matches at the All-Star or more duals against D1 teams. But they are not members of the division and they should not be able to compete in two nationals.

It is only simple to exclude them if that is what people choose to do. To keep the status quo.

If they are not part of a D1 team they should not be wrestling at the D1 championships no exceptions is one opinion. Mine is including a single champion from the Division's 2 & 3 to pig tail matches could only be a positive. Only strengthens the eventual champion. Not only have those champs from the lower divisions shown they can compete at the highest level in an NCAA collegiate division but also adding them creates a whole new level of excitement to the best wrestling tournament in the world.

This had already been the case for many years and had no negative outcomes for the sport. D1 coaches not liking it because their guys may lose to lower divisions does not count as a risk in my opinion.

I know change is hard, but if we don't do anything for wrestling where will we be?

I know it worked once and it can work again.

It is only simple to exclude them if that is what people choose to do. To keep the status quo.

If they are not part of a D1 team they should not be wrestling at the D1 championships no exceptions is one opinion. Mine is including a single champion from the Division's 2 & 3 to pig tail matches could only be a positive. Only strengthens the eventual champion. Not only have those champs from the lower divisions shown they can compete at the highest level in an NCAA collegiate division but also adding them creates a whole new level of excitement to the best wrestling tournament in the world.

This had already been the case for many years and had no negative outcomes for the sport. D1 coaches not liking it because their guys may lose to lower divisions does not count as a risk in my opinion.

I know change is hard, but if we don't do anything for wrestling where will we be?

I know it worked once and it can work again.

you clearly are a young buck ha ha

if we let the champs from d2 and d3 in to the d1 championship then I propose we let the guys ranked 34 35 36 who missed out on the ncaa bids into the d2 championship that solves the problem

Sure and lets let tough elementary schools kids in too. lol.

Make up ridiculous scenarios all you want, but giving a single bid to the D2 champ and D3 champ has already been successful in the past without any of the negative stuff you guys are talking about.

All upside, no downside.

I guess people don't think wrestling needs to change to stay healthy.

They should allow the D2 and D3 champs in. You already have pigtails at NCAA D1. adding 2 more per weight would not change much. This was the norm in the 60's 70's and 80's not sure when they chamged it.

Some very tough D3 schools academically Johns Hopkins, Univ of Chicago, Wesleyan, NYU, Williams and

others.

Not sure how someone said academics not on par with D1.

And arguably the hardest academically MIT to that list (up until the last couple of years when they went from DIII to NCWA).

Like you said it worked great for decades and didn't lead to any of the negative scenarios presented like HS kids being let in the NCAA's or a mass exodus out of D1 to D2/3 for an "easier" way into D1 nationals.

And I honestly can't think of anything else that would get all those Division 1 fans interested in watching D2/D3 wrestling.

You can't force people to care about something but they may start to care if their favorite wrestler loses to or barely beats a lowly Division 3 non-scholly kid out of a school they never heard of.

I think its pretty cool looking back at what a guy like Carleton Haselrig was able to do.