Sign in to follow this  
gmdband

What do some people have against Penn State?

Maybe I'm naïve, but why are some guys so against Penn State and David Taylor? I've observed that some of these posters get such glee from watching stuff like Taylor lose a match or anything bad thing that happens at Penn St. Taylor is a phenomenal wrestler and has won hundreds of matches. Both PSU and David Taylor have been absolutely great for wrestling in general. Even though they are great teams, Iowa and Oklahoma State winning the NCAA's year after year is very bad for the sport of wrestling overall (and I am a big fan of OK State and Iowa). Having just a few teams totally dominate any sport is bad for overall fan interest and growth. The NFL and NBA figured this out long ago which is why the NFL and NBA have the draft rules set up such that the top teams get the lowest picks in the draft (to increase parity among teams). PSU winning some championships was very good for wrestling as a whole. In addition, PSU wrestles an aggressive, slick style that is fun to watch. I am not even from the East Coast or Midwest and I can see that. It would be even better if sometime Oregon State, Boise State, or different teams won the NCAA's. So again, what is their beef with Penn State?

I don't hate PSU. In fact, I was excited when I first heard Sanderson was going there. The Bubba Jenkins fiasco simply soured my opinion. David Taylor ended up getting the short end of the fan stick as a result. He did NOTHING wrong to cause it but I think A LOT of people ended up cheering for Bubba and as a by-product against Taylor simply because he filled his spot after he was off the team.

The current PSU is, without a doubt, great for College Wrestling. They added another team to the race and excitement in how several of their wrestler try to score non stop. I don't even really dislike the fans. I actually expect there to be crazies like mopar and blind diehards like Flying Tiger. This is a definite sign of a super successful program. In the end I respect them and think they are a great team. I respect Sanderson and think he is one of, if not the best DI coaches. I simply can't be a fan due to what I mentioned above.

I also want to add that I cheer for Megaludis over anyone but Delgado. I really like Retherford and would be happy if he won it all. I become a big fan of the less heralded Alton when he took 3rd after his brother's whirlwind season. I am really interested to see if McIntosh stays at 197. This kid is really good but his length is a major weakness at that weight. Finally, until the Dean loss, I was ready to put Ruth in the TOP5 of all time.

I will always cheer for some individuals but I just can't get on the PSU bandwagon.

I think this Facebook post from a former Hawkeye national champ kind of sums it up. I'm going to paraphrase because I didn't ask his permission to post it on here.

"In sports, if everyone likes you, it means they're kicking your butt. I can't wait to be hated again."

People aren't kicking PSU's butt so many are going to hate them. Everybody wants to see the top dog go down with the exception of its own fans. Kind of funny how the entire arena outside of a couple sections at NCAA's goes crazy when PSU or Iowa guys go down. Go back 6 years ago and nobody cared about PSU. It's really nice to be relevant and hated.

Same people hated on Dake and C Metcalf and IA, Even Dan Gable was gleefully poked at when he lost. The Yankees or Cowboys or Bulls or Michael Jordan when they were on a roll were "hated". Failed or mediocre, in their own lives, some people can't stand to see success in others. A major difference today is: the internet has put the moderns at complete exposure from anonymous critics, except those who know how to crack an IP address The guys who write "Down goes XXX" always seem gleeful to me. How about you?

Same people hated on Dake and C Metcalf and IA, Even Dan Gable was gleefully poked at when he lost. The Yankees or Cowboys or Bulls or Michael Jordan when they were on a roll were "hated". Failed or mediocre, in their own lives, some people can't stand to see success in others. A major difference today is: the internet has put the moderns at complete exposure from anonymous critics, except those who know how to crack an IP address The guys who write "Down goes XXX" always seem gleeful to me. How about you?

growing up in the 90 in north jersey as a mets fan, i find current PSU wrestling fans to be analogous to yankee fans, at least from my perspective. most fans are great and i have dear friends and family members who are penn state fans or yankee fans (sometimes both!). some fans are great people and you can discuss any aspect of their team with them and have a great time. other folks are good people but you want to avoid certain topics because it causes them to become irrational, arrogant, defensive and/or paranoid. a very, very tiny subset are just irredeemably awful human being who have glommed on to a front runner.

personally, although i dispose being the little brother of the NY basbeall market, i still like it when the yankees beat other teams i dislike even more, like other NL East teams. and though i would prefer to see some new blood at the top of the team standing in NCAA wrestling, i thoroughly enjoy watching Cael and his wrestlers and wish them the best.

I think this Facebook post from a former Hawkeye national champ kind of sums it up. I'm going to paraphrase because I didn't ask his permission to post it on here.

"In sports, if everyone likes you, it means they're kicking your butt. I can't wait to be hated again."

People aren't kicking PSU's butt so many are going to hate them. Everybody wants to see the top dog go down with the exception of its own fans. Kind of funny how the entire arena outside of a couple sections at NCAA's goes crazy when PSU or Iowa guys go down. Go back 6 years ago and nobody cared about PSU. It's really nice to be relevant and hated.

this is a great way to look at it. nothing made me happier as a ny giants fan than to hear patriots fans hurl invective at my team. didnt happen this year, but i'm hoping the hate returns next season with a vengeance.

It is natural for fans of teams who aren't winning titles to be jealous of those that are. I would guess some Iowa fans are the most upset, since Iowa was the dominant program until Cael went to Penn State. Some OSU fans are still angry at Iowa for supplanting them as the top dog in wrestling.

It's like the Yankees in baseball a large group want to root for the winner, the rest hope they lose every game. David Taylor is a protégé having as a kid trained at Cael's father Steve's club in Utah. David's dad was an airline pilot for Delta, there was a hub in Salt Lake City, which was his domicile. Delta closed that hub and he moved to Ohio. David Taylor was going where ever Cael was coaching, because of that connection. So I guess David gets some heat because of that.

I'm a Sooner, but I enjoy the way Cael has the Penn State wrestlers being aggressive. I wish more coaches would teach that style of wrestling.

Nothing against the school. As some have said, some of the fans are truly obnoxious.

Not a big fan of Cael, given the way he left his alma mater soon they forced Bobby Douglas aside to give it to Cael.

The wresters themselves are a great group, for the most part. Always thought Q was a class act. Taylor and Ruth... hard not to admire the incredible skills.

I don't "hate" Penn State, but I don't celebrate when they when, but I have to admit I enjoy when they lose.

I am a Cyclone fan, and if I have to explain it to you, then you haven't been paying attention over the past few years.

I have great respect for what PSU and what the individuals have accomplished, but there is no reason that I can't also enjoy a few wins by their opponents, even if I don't wish for anything evil to befall them. Cael was, and always will be a Cyclone champion. But the way that he left did not exactly go over well with me despite any of the reasons that were given. I understand, but I do not have to like it. I think that David Taylor is a phenomenal wrestler, perhaps one of the most exciting and dominating ever, but I thoroughly enjoyed Bubba sticking him in the finals.

I am sure that my personal and petty reasons are not important to them.

PSU fans, on the other hand, if they soon forget the humility that was taught to them over so many years of being left on the outside looking in, deserve some hostility and enmity. Gloating will never win you many friends, and let's face it, every team has supporters that fit that category.

vacyclone, I feel a lot of empathy for Iowa State wrestling. You had a phenomenal coach in Cael Sanderson and he left you guys for Penn State. That said, I'm not sure there was ever going to be an easy or graceful way out for him. I'm glad he ended up at Penn State, but if it is any consolation at all, I do feel for you guys.

And I doubt Penn State wrestling fans will forget where we came from. All the talent in the world coming out of our high schools and the last championship before Cael Sanderson arrived was 57 years prior. That is an unreal dry spell.

vacyclone, I feel a lot of empathy for Iowa State wrestling. You had a phenomenal coach in Cael Sanderson and he left you guys for Penn State. That said, I'm not sure there was ever going to be an easy or graceful way out for him. I'm glad he ended up at Penn State, but if it is any consolation at all, I do feel for you guys.

And I doubt Penn State wrestling fans will forget where we came from. All the talent in the world coming out of our high schools and the last championship before Cael Sanderson arrived was 57 years prior. That is an unreal dry spell.

Bump hidden post

It's not Penn State as much as they feel that they kinda cheated to get the titles they have. Take away the points they got from Long (Iowa State transfer) and they don't win the first title. Take away Ruth's points, (not Caels recruit) and they may not have won any titles. As great of a competitor Cael was he ran out of Iowa like a coward saying that he couldn't win there, after forcing Bobby Douglas out.