Sign in to follow this  
gmdband

What do some people have against Penn State?

straw men?

Cael objectively the best coach? I would say more so arguably.

Penn State was nowhere when Cael Sanderson showed up. After a brief 1 year stint getting the program in shape Cael Sanderson and Penn State have won 3 consecutive NCAA Championships. That's objective evidence that Cael Sanderson really is the number 1 college wrestling coach.

Is it any wonder so many top notch wrestlers want to choose Penn State? Nope. It's the place to be right now. :D

Unless he needs you to win. Then it is a 4 chance policy. (or who's counting policy, whichever is greater)

"WAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! I want me mommy. WAAAAA, CAEL CHEATED!!!! WAAAAAAAA!!!!!

and no I have nothing else to offer, but my continuous cry baby routine. WAAAAAAAAA!"

straw men?

Penn State was nowhere when Cael Sanderson showed up. After a brief 1 year stint getting the program in shape Cael Sanderson and Penn State have won 3 consecutive NCAA Championships. That's objective evidence that Cael Sanderson really is the number 1 college wrestling coach.

Is it any wonder so many top notch wrestlers want to choose Penn State? Nope. It's the place to be right now. :D

Number 1 tournament coach. Minnesota has the best team coach.

Ruth was going to go to Penn State so his parents could come watch him wrestle (he told that to my son at a camp 2 summers ago).

He may have developed just as well with Sunderland as his coach. He would still have had years of working with Quentin Wright and perhaps Perry would still be on staff there. Maybe he would have had a (slightly) different style?

One thing Ed Ruth has done is given credit to Casey Cunningham on development of his cradles.

Per Ed's mom and Qunetin's mom, Quentin recruited Mrs. Ruth to get Ed to Penn State. Mrs. Ruth did not believe Troy's program was where her son needed to go for discipline and development. Quentin had to promise her things would be OK and Quentin would make sure of it.

As far as Cael recruiting Ed Ruth. David Taylor spent many hours on the phone trying to convince Ed he should wrestle at Iowa State with Cael and David. Quentin recruiting Ed's mom was much more effective than David was recruiting Ed. I doubt very much David spent that much time recruiting Ed to ISU without Cael having made an offer to Ed.

Nobody knew Cael would end up Penn State's coach

straw men?

Yeah, yeah last 6 national team champions Iowa and Penn State, coached by Tom Brands and Cael Sanderson,and when this tournament is complete those two will have won the last 7 team championships.

Tell yourself whatever it is you need to tell yourself so you feel as though you have a valid point, objective data will tell everybody else something else.

Since when did winning NCAA's with a bonus point system prove the talent of a coach? Did Brands go from the best coach in the nation to chump overnight? Will Cael go from best coach in the nation to chump overnight if PSU doesn't have the most points on the board Saturday evening?

Was there a vote for best coach? I know there's a Coach of the Year award.

Since when did winning NCAA's with a bonus point system prove the talent of a coach? Did Brands go from the best coach in the nation to chump overnight? Will Cael go from best coach in the nation to chump overnight if PSU doesn't have the most points on the board Saturday evening?

Why would Brands or Cael turn into "chumps overnight" if they don't win?

I think you know what I mean. How far do they fall from "best coach" if they don't win?

I think you know what I mean. How far do they fall from "best coach" if they don't win?

Usually if you get knocked off of the #1 spot, you go to the #2 spot.

Brands is a great coach. He's no different today than he was when Iowa won their titles.

You negative nellies may have a different idea, though.

straw men?

But he lost to Meeechigan! Hail to the Victors!

But he lost to Meeechigan! Hail to the Victors!

Brilliant logic. And Sanderson's Penn State team lost to the team that lost to Meeechigan.

Dude, silly as a goose doesn't look all that good on you. You want to babble some sort of baloney about number 1 team coach, i will babble better BS using some data.

As far as tournament results, versus dual results - from a mathematical aspect, the NCAA is a much more accurate measurement gauge for determining who the best team is. Many more data points, more accurate the conclusion.

Shuck, you and some of your fellow Gopher fans need to realize that PSU focuses on what really matters. If National Duals was the national championship that occurred in March, they would still be winning team championships. It's called peaking or keeping the eye on the prize. I have to believe this false sense of accomplishment the Gophers and their fans have hurts them in a big way when we get to the real events. For example, look at what happened at the Big Ten tournament; PSU placed ahead of Minnesota by 22 points AND placed ahead of them in 6 of 10 weight classes. How is it possible for PSU to place ahead 6-4 if the Gophers really had the better dual team? So much for the better team theory, no matter what the criteria.

So if a wrestler places ahead of someone at a tournament without actually wrestling the other person they are automatically better? Shouldn't it be a head to head match that determines who the better of the two are? Should we do away with true second matches cuz obviously the guy who got second is better. Turns out we have been wasting kids times for years!

So if a wrestler places ahead of someone at a tournament without actually wrestling the other person they are automatically better? Shouldn't it be a head to head match that determines who the better of the two are? Should we do away with true second matches cuz obviously the guy who got second is better. Turns out we have been wasting kids times for years!

Head to head matches is only one factor in who is better. If I can beat the national champ every time we wrestle, but lose to literally every other ranked wrestler in my weight by wide margins who is the better wrestler?

That's why tournaments are the best way to determine who the better wrestler is in an individual sport (note that doesn't say its a perfect way). It pits the wrestlers against ALL the other top guys in their weight in the country, not just one guy from one team.

Winning duals is all about matchups, not necessarily being the best wrestler or team.

Head to head matches is only one factor in who is better. If I can beat the national champ every time we wrestle, but lose to literally every other ranked wrestler in my weight by wide margins who is the better wrestler?

That's why tournaments are the best way to determine who the better wrestler is in an individual sport (note that doesn't say its a perfect way). It pits the wrestlers against ALL the other top guys in their weight in the country, not just one guy from one team.

Winning duals is all about matchups, not necessarily being the best wrestler or team.

I am not making this a dual vs tournament debate. I understand what ur saying how the tournament defines the champion as the strongest survives. But to say a head to head match up has no bearing in who is the better of the two is laughable. I am sorry, but if I beat you I am better than you. You may beat Tommy and Tommy may beat me, but I am still better than you and you are better than Tommy and Tommy is better than me.

I don't want to hear no pissing and moaning if Nick Dardanes(or whoever on the bottom half) finishes second and we have the Tsirtsis/Maple/Houdashelt(whoever wouldn't meet him in the finals) crowd crying about how they are better than Nick. Cuz yall say the tournament is the indicator and you cant possibly be better than someone who places ahead of you, even if you did not meet.

Cael did anything but embrace Penn State's sanctions for that debacle. He couldn't understand why the institution should suffer for the actions of one (paraphrasing).

It's like he didn't pay any attention to what happened. I just don't understand that guy.