Sign in to follow this  
NEswitch

Has there ever been an unseeded wrestler win NCAA's?

I think Jordan Leen from Cornell might have been unseeded when he won at 157 a few years ago.

Mark Branch and Jake Rosholt both had around 50% win in duals their freshman years and won NCAA titles. They might have been unseeded. The Big 8 was then a competitive conference, which meant winning would usually get you seeded.

Since 1960 there have been 14, but only two since 1978, Reese and Branch. There have been several 6, 7, or 8's but they only seeded 6 until 1968. Seeded 8 until going to 10 in 1969. If we count below 8 there have been three more, interestingly two in the last six years (King-12 in '09 and Q-9 in '11. Miller-9 in '69 being the other.)

I think Jordan Leen from Cornell might have been unseeded when he won at 157 a few years ago.

Mark Branch and Jake Rosholt both had around 50% win in duals their freshman years and won NCAA titles. They might have been unseeded. The Big 8 was then a competitive conference, which meant winning would usually get you seeded.

In 1994, Mark Branch won one of the most improbable titles in NCAA history. He entered the NCAAs with an 8-9 record but marched to the NCAA title. He is one of only five Cowboys to win the NCAA title as a freshman.

If I remember correctly both finalist in 1977 were unseeded at 134. With Neu from Minny winning it.

Same as the finalists when Branch won in '94. His opponent (Laszlo Molnar - Cal State-Fullerton) was also unseeded.

I only checked on one championship -- 1967.

McGuire, from Oklahoma, at 130 was not seeded according to wrestlingstats.com. He beat my teammate, Don Behm, in the finals. McGuire had beaten Peritore, from Lehigh earlier in the draw. I think Peritore was number #1 seed that year.

If you check out wrestlingstats.com you will probably see many instances where an unseeded wrestler won the championship.

Best -

DA