Sign in to follow this  
Itmeagain

D3 finals

Thought there would be more support on here for the other divisions ....well it's not to late to get it started as the finals are ready to start.

Its kind of funny cause when we were at risk of losing the sport at the 2020 games we all said there needs to be more support for all divisions but since we safe its like screw the other divisions.

Looks like PA state champ and Kent State D1/Seton D2 transfer Nick Carr is in the finals at 165 for Washington and Jefferson....

Thought his home was gonna be at Kent State after a strong RS year....but happy he found a home at W&J.

Another championship for Wartburg. I think that is 7 in a row. With Camacho, Anderson, Yonkonic, Welter, Williams, Soriano and Frank graduation they will lose 100.5 of their 103.5 points next year. Still not sure I would bet against them however, next year.

A couple of points.

Total attendance was 8,757 - a new record for Division III. A tremendous amount of credit should go to Cornell College Associate AD, Dick Simmons, for another outstanding effort. This is the fifth time he has been the DIII tournament director. The work of the volunteers was also incredible.

Next year's championships will be in Hershey, PA, hosted by Elizabethtown College. They are already mounting their effort to put on a great event and they, too, will need a lot of volunteer help.

Wartburg does graduate a lot of points and second-place UW-Whitewater does not. Three of third-place Messiah's AA's (including a champ and runner-up) return. It could be interesting.

Give the "Division III experience" a try. You'll be very pleasantly surprised. First of all, it is a very fan-friendly culture. Sure, rivalries exist, but the Coe fans cheered almost as loudly for Cornell College national champion, Alex Coolidge, as did the Cornell fans. Second - across the board the wrestling just plain more exciting than it is in Division I. Not as skilled - but more exciting. Finally, the coaches and athletes are in it purely for the love of the sport. The kids are paying to continue wrestling and many of the head coaches have other responsibilities at their schools. For a lot of the assistant coaches it's a part-time gig. Check out a school in your area and go to a meet - not because it's your "duty", but because you might just like it.

Special shout out to one of the local boys, Jesse Gunter, for winning third place, wrestling for Baldwin Wallace.

Jesse is legally blind.

I was watching online and when they would start from neutral they would touch hands. Very cool story.

"I was watching online and when they would start from neutral they would touch hands. Very cool story."

The following is from a story written by Plain Dealer reporter Tim Warsinsky last Tuesday and also published in Cleveland.com:

"...........There has been some confusion about Gunter's blindness during his career, and really, it's all his fault because no one this good could be that blind, right? A blind college wrestler doesn't win 29 of 31 matches as a true freshman. A blind wrestler doesn't build a 27-4 record his sophomore year and qualify for the national tournament after placing second at the regional.

A truly blind wrestler doesn't have opposing coaches and fans yelling during a match, “He's not blind! He can see!''

.....it hurt, then motivated him in ways that are, well, easy to see. Gunter is preparing to show the college wrestling world that once doubted his disability that his ability is what matters above all.

“At first, I really let it get to me. That was one of my big issues,'' Gunter said of the verbal abuse he sometimes encounters during matches. “I'm strong mentally, but not when people constantly say that stuff.

“It got me off my game and frustrated because I listened to everybody else. I didn't just listen to myself and my coaches. It just gets to you after somebody says so many negative things about you, especially when they are not true.'' "

I'll admit it sent my blood pressure up a couple of degrees when I read this.