Sign in to follow this  
wiedsworld

Humphrey (WOW)!

And that right there lost good ole USA the match...good job US!!!!

Can't even win on our home turf...****ing pathetic. Maybe US should just replace freestyle wrestling with equestrian or something we can be competitive in.

No Joke man. Hump choked away a solid lead yet again. ESCO looked horrible. Not even one solid shot on american soil?

Metcalf won because he was constantly looking to score. Constantly. Good win for him. Marable just like Esco. No offense. Burroughs is the man what can you say. EXCELLENT win by Foster. So much potential. Bergman and D had 0 offense either. You cant win if you dont score a point boys. Sad. Real sad on home turf

No Joke man. Hump choked away a solid lead yet again. ESCO looked horrible. Not even one solid shot on american soil?

Metcalf won because he was constantly looking to score. Constantly. Good win for him. Marable just like Esco. No offense. Burroughs is the man what can you say. EXCELLENT win by Foster. So much potential. Bergman and D had 0 offense either. You cant win if you dont score a point boys. Sad. Real sad on home turf

Perfect recap

Yep...US had 3 bright spots. Jordan Burroughs, Clayton Foster and Brent Metcalf...the rest of the team is complete garbage. Just Terrible.

You guys are brutal, give Hump's opponent some credit, the guy has a gas tank better than Metcalf. He just needs to learn to stall better, if the truth be known; maybe Russian ties, 1/2 shots, fight the single better like Foster (who was incredible in his single defense). I like watching Humphrey wrestle; he'll figure it out. That is a great Iranian team, and you can say what you want, but Hump opened up more than some members.

Humphrey mentally broke. Again. So frustrating watching that match. He's done this twice in a row now on the international stage. Yes, his opponent is a stud, but Reece just broke for some reason. You can see it in his face and his demeanor.

Metcalf is the man! He was attacking both sides of the body and even hit a double. His short offense has always been great, and he's finally showed some diversity in his international wrestling. Metcalf has heart and composure.

JB is the man.

Don't bag on USA too bad. Iran is a phenomenal team. At the beat the streets we only won one match, which happened to be Dake by ball grab (even though he defended one). They dominated us outside of that.

Very poor performance by Escobedo. I'm not sure what that was. I don't remember him having one serious scoring attempt. He appeared to be waiting for something the entire match, and whatever he was waiting for didn't come.

no respect for the Iranians. those dudes are the best in the world. theyve proved in the last few years of competition. they brought their A team and so did we. they were just better. no disrespect to either side. it was a great dual.

its like no american can lose without it being a disgrace. uh, no, they wrestled their guts out and ran into someone better. it happens. great performance by both squads IMO.

no respect for the Iranians. those dudes are the best in the world. theyve proved in the last few years of competition. they brought their A team and so did we. they were just better. no disrespect to either side. it was a great dual.

its like no american can lose without it being a disgrace. uh, no, they wrestled their guts out and ran into someone better. it happens. great performance by both squads IMO.

You thought Escobedo wrestled well?

Well having been at the Forum today, I got to see all our matches. Some of our guys just looked flat at times. I think Marable needs to go back to 74 Kg, I don't think he can tolerate the weight cut to 70Kg. I was shocked at how gassed Jimmy Kennedy looked. I am not sure what the issue was there. Then Metcalf also looked gassed against India, but still managed to keep pushing and win. Against Iran, well Metcalf's match was great (worth the price of admission). Burroughs, he's just too fast for his opponent, and Clayton also had a nice win over a quality opponent. JD, he performed how he usually performs which is just to stand there. Also Trevel did just about the same. Unfortunately, I believe that had Humpreys held on for a win and Trevel could have got his offense going in the first period until waiting until one minute left in the second period to start doing something, we could've won this thing.

Humphreys' match didn't even feel like an epic comeback. He had a huge lead and then just got taken apart. The guy stormed back almost instantly and Humphrey offered almost no resistance. The guy probably could have teched him if he kept pushing since he completed his comeback with plenty of time on the clock. It was a very strange match. Does Humphey have weight issues that contribute to the conditioning problems? Because he actually has offense and is dangerous if he could go for 6 minutes.

It's never ok to blow an 8-1 lead. That said all the guys being criticized - Hump, Esco and Bergman- lost to world champs.

Btw is the Indian 55 kg guy the world silver medallist? And anyone else see that Lebedev lost to Mongolia?

Incredible that the US could lose not only on the home soil, but also after the rules have changed decidedly in the US's favor.

Takedown worth 2 points? Huge for the US wrestlers who generally can't turn anyone worth turning and are mostly post-folkstyle takedown masters

Longer periods? Again, very much playing right into US's strength of endurance and guts (in general, yesterday it was a hit and miss)

No more separate period scoring? This too, in my view, helps the US as matches no longer terminate after two periods without giving the American a chance to rally back late

Yet, Humphrey wrestled like a Russian or an Iranian is supposed to wrestle - get a huge lead early and sit on it (well, except he'd be faking injuries if he were iranian, but that's a separate story). How do you blow a lead of this magnitude?

What explains our total lack of desire to score in at least 3 of the 8 bouts?

Incredible loss of opportunity

Yes, Iran is great and they brought their A-team. Just so disappointing, being that close to knocking them off.

I like Reece, he has a ton of talent, but I agree with you guys, he's gotta come away with a win there. That match was his to win. Like, some of you said, he should have beat that same Iranian last time, and changing gears a little, I thought he should of beat the wrestler from France a few years ago at World's. Another big disappointment.

Seems like Reece can seal the deal against top notch Americans, but not against the international guys.

You thought Escobedo wrestled well?

oh cool, an opportunity to engage in a lengthy discussion with superold. unfortunately i have a lot of laundry to do today, so no thank you i will have to pass.

I was looking for a "yes" or "no", and maybe a brief explanation as to why if the answer was 'yes'. I don't think that this would turn into a lengthy discussion. I don't see why it would.

Regarding guys who don't look they are doing much. Rahimi has some amazing counter offense as well as incredible defense. Can throw guys when they shoot in on him.

With eight weight classes, there are now rules in place for tie breaking criteria when duals end in a 4-4 split. Near the top are most number of tech falls. It was very important to the dual for Esco to not get teched by the standing world champ. Same thing with Bergman and Yazdani. (Yazdani and the coaching staff were very disappointed that he didn't get the tech)

There is obviously going to be criticism for this criteria where it can create a situation like this where it promotes shutting down, (with seven weights, if Esco had thrown caution into the wind, it wouldn't have potentially been dangerous to the dual) but I think the advantages of getting eight weights in non-Olympic years is worth it.

Russia doesn't seem to take the world cup seriously - routinely not sending their best guys. Iran does. That was absolutely their best team. (It was incredible how they put their B team against Turkey right before the match with USA and they absolutely dominated.) Iran showed up and came to wrestle hard. USA got a good look at them and got valuable experience in. I think team USA is heading in the right direction.

Just watched Metcalf's match vs Iran again on themat.tv. Oh yeah, Metcalf showed huge heart coming back from that deficit. Metcalf never stopped wrestling and he eventually wore the Iranian down and broke him. What a huge win to bring Team USA right back in the dual.

Just watched Metcalf's match vs Iran again on themat.tv. Oh yeah, Metcalf showed huge heart coming back from that deficit. Metcalf never stopped wrestling and he eventually wore the Iranian down and broke him. What a huge win to bring Team USA right back in the dual.

Metcalf has always had heart, but in that match he showed the ability to score offensively. To both sides of the body. Even when the Iranian was hanging out on the edge on both knees (how is that not passive?), he found ways to score with his go to from college short offense. Maybe Metcalf has turned a corner.