Sign in to follow this  
John Jensen

Observations on World Cup

Went to the first session and watched all session so far on line:

1.) The Forum is way too big for this event. The turn out for the morning session was maybe 3,000 people.

2.) I hope they got there act together for the later sessions because it was painfully un-organized and they were saving lots of money on not turning the air conditioning system on.

3.) I sat in the middle of an Iranian contingent. They were very knowable and fun to hang out with.

4.) $25.00 bucks for parking.

The Wrestling though American eyes:

1.) The U.S. team came ready to go and so did the Iranian team.

2.) The Guys from Mongolia are fun to watch. They are very aggressive and are looking to throw all the time.

3.) The Russians seem to be just going through the motions.

4.) Angel Escobedo looked really solid until he wrestled the Iranian then it was like a man vs. boy.

5.) Reese Humphrey is so fun to watch but really needs to work on his defense.

6.) Brent Metcalf like in college is a cardio freak and it is serving him well. His offence Hi-C or bust.

7.) 70 KG Marabel is sucking too much weight. Moza fey looked really solid. I really wanted to see Jason Welch compete.

8.) Jordan Burroughs makes it look easy.

9.) Clayton Foster is just sneaky slick and I think could be a real factor internationally over the next few years.

10.) Jake Varner please come back dedicated. Even saying that Reza Yazdani is just a frigging beast.

11.) Tervel Dlagnev please stay out of the front head lock. I really wanted to see Tyrell Fortune wrestle.

Great job by Burroughs and Metcalf yes but the match of the World cup for us was Mr Foster vs the defending world and Olympic bronze medalist from Iran. Seeing that gives me some hope for us at 189lbs. I have changed my mind now about Herbert being our best guy here. I think Foster is our best guy here in the US outside of Cael. Way to go Foster! The thing about him is he still can improve and grow I think! This was a huge match for his confidence. Also even if Varner returns at his best form there is no way in the world he beats Yazdani who I think is the best p4p in the world-Yazdani just pummeled Bergman and pushed him around.

Great job by Burroughs and Metcalf yes but the match of the World cup for us was Mr Foster vs the defending world and Olympic bronze medalist from Iran. Seeing that gives me some hope for us at 189lbs. I have changed my mind now about Herbert being our best guy here. I think Foster is our best guy here in the US outside of Cael. Way to go Foster! The thing about him is he still can improve and grow I think! This was a huge match for his confidence. Also even if Varner returns at his best form there is no way in the world he beats Yazdani who I think is the best p4p in the world-Yazdani just pummeled Bergman and pushed him around.

I see you carrying the torch for Yazdani again as the bet p4p wrestler in the world. Can you tell me how you come to this conclusion? It certainly isn't based on recent results as nobody has won three world/Olympic championships in a row like burroughs has. It also can't be based on this tourney as Burroughs has 3 pins and a 7-1 win over the reigning world silver medalist. Yazdani has two wins...a pin over Armenia and an unimpressive 8-0 win over JD Bergman, US 2nd string wrestler at this weight (maybe even third string since Snyder beats him in practice). Burroughs is 75-1 now. I don't know Yazdanis record but it isn't anywhere close to 75-1.

Now if you said Gatsalov as your best p4p, a guy whos won multiple world and olympic championships at multiple weights, i wouldnt even argue. But I would like to hear why you believe that Yazdani is a better p4p wrestler than burroughs.

In his defense, Yazdani has won multiple (2) world titles and placed numerous times at two different weights. Very likely would have won the Olympics too if he hadn't torn up his knee in the semis. Who has beaten him in the past few years (other than that loss in the Olympics)?

In the past three years Yazdani has one loss. Noikadze? from Geo in the 2012 World Cup. Looked at the database and would say Yazdani is about 60-1 the last three years so very similar to Burroughs. Gatsalov has the best chance of beating Yazdani. Was hoping to see that match this weekend. Varner at his best will not beat Yazdani-possible of course but very unlikely after watching him just toy with JD.

Some bright spots but overall a team sorely in need of Dan Gable in charge of US Freestyle overall to put some belief in these guys that they can WIN. He would get them working the whole time rather than standing around. Add in John Smith with Gable and you would have the two best in charge and see much better results soon.

Over the past 3 years yazdani has lost to Gadisov as well as the Georgian and another Iranian. Also got pinned by Ketoev. He probably wrestles in a tougher weight class than JB but if you go by stats Burroughs has to be. #1.

Btw how is JB pinning guys now ?

Great match between Lebedev and Rahimi at 57 just now (Lebedev 4-3) and the Russian techs the 74 kg medallist via throws. Iran wins the others pretty handily.

I wonder if Akbari Zarinkolaei (the Iranian Burroughs has faced three times now) beats Goudarzi in the room. He's still young so has more upside, especially if he fills out some. But today he's definitely not the world #2 based on that match with Russia, and from what I can tell not the wrestler that Goudarzi was from 2010-2012.

JD Bergman, what can anyone say? He needs to re-invent himself or what's the point of him continuing on. I have seen a lot of his matches over the last several years, and he has been doing pretty much the same thing he did the last two days here at the World Cup. If he doesn't become more offensive, history will continue to repeat itself.

JD Bergman, what can anyone say? He needs to re-invent himself or what's the point of him continuing on. I have seen a lot of his matches over the last several years, and he has been doing pretty much the same thing he did the last two days here at the World Cup. If he doesn't become more offensive, history will continue to repeat itself.

Cant wait for Snyder to start hitting the senior circuit. On another note Clayton Foster made a name for himself this weekend, super tough to score on and I look forward to seeing a matchup of him and Herbert.

Cant wait for Snyder to start hitting the senior circuit. On another note Clayton Foster made a name for himself this weekend, super tough to score on and I look forward to seeing a matchup of him and Herbert.

In his defense, Yazdani has won multiple (2) world titles and placed numerous times at two different weights. Very likely would have won the Olympics too if he hadn't torn up his knee in the semis. Who has beaten him in the past few years (other than that loss in the Olympics)?

In the past three years Yazdani has one loss. Noikadze? from Geo in the 2012 World Cup.

Elizbar Odikadze-More or less the #2 in the GEO room these days at 97.

They charged me $25 to park my motorcycle.

The ushers were very strict about seating. Which is kind of silly when the venue was half empty.

But, USA Wrestling didn't get a hand when the California Folkstyle boys and girls state was held 4 he's away in Fresno. Plus Agon and SCWAY event in Central California was well.

So anyone who would have gone was shipped out to compete thus killing the numbers.

The USA Wrestling organizers could take a few notes from the Irani delegation. They had their wrestlers sitting with the crowd before their finals match. They had their athletes played to the crowd bowing and waving to them.

The Irani delegation pumped up the crowd encouraging the songs and even requesting songs for certain athletes. Marketing genius.