Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Making the best of a second chance....

Romero Cotton. It seems he is keeping himself SUPER busy and out of trouble. Playing 2 sports(Running back for the Football team) has to keep him on the straight and narrow. As a 24 year old sophomore he just became a DII champion. His results seem to show he has learned how to deal with adversity. He won his 4 tournament matches by 4-2 in SV-1, 6-4, 3-1 in SV-1 and 8-7.

I am a big fan of second chances. Especially if the poor choices were made before you truly become an adult. It seems Cotton is making the best of his opportunity and I wish him the best going forward.

Sorry guys this isn't about several chances. This is about a kid who could have easily been bad, stayed bad and inevitably ended up a non salvageable criminal statistic.

Please check out this interview.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/25 ... ycGTKhdWqA

I don't think either Scribe or I are insinuating anything different. Most of us have had periods of our lives where we were less than stellar human beings. We've all had those moments when we needed to grow up and start contributing to society, rather than shaming it. I don't hold it against anyone for messing up a time or two in their life.

Matter of fact, I'm not so sure I hold it against them for messing up a multitude of times in their life, because the reason they keep messing up is because we as a society let them.

You know as well as I do that we've had athletes in the past that have continuously messed up time and time again and we allow them too because they help programs to succeed athletically. Hell, these days do anything short of rape or murder, and you are allowed to continue participating simply because you win.

I personally am glad to see coaches like Mark Manning of Nebraska take a stand and not allow such misconduct. To tell his athletes that he isn't concerned with how good they are or how much they'll help Nebraska to win. If they aren't decent human beings and they can't behave in a decent manner, then they have no business representing the University of Nebraska wrestling team. I commend that type of response a hell of a lot more than I do the, "Oh, well he hospitalized his girlfriend for the 9th time this year, let's make him sit out an unimportant matchup and then get him back in for our dual against the really good team we face next Thursday"

2nd chances are great, as are 3rd's in some cases. However to continuously allow people to mess up and behave in what would other wise be deemed unacceptable ways just because of how good they are athletically is a reflection of a society that clearly has its priorities messed up.

Slightly unrelated, but I love that Beat the Streets is doing this for thousands of inner-city kids, as well. It's just a matter of time before we hear about more Romero Cottons who beat the statistics.

I feel like sports in general are very helpful in this, but that above all, wrestling helps the most, given the level of dedication and universal appeal. I see it happen in Philly all the time - it really helps with getting kids off the street and righting their wrongs, so to say.

I personally am glad to see coaches like Mark Manning of Nebraska take a stand and not allow such misconduct. To tell his athletes that he isn't concerned with how good they are or how much they'll help Nebraska to win. If they aren't decent human beings and they can't behave in a decent manner, then they have no business representing the University of Nebraska wrestling team.

I'm not sure if you remember what happened, but it was kinda out of Manning's hands. It wasn't getting busting for a DUI, or weed, or cheating on an exam - it was a serious deal and he served real time for it.

JT, I know what you are saying but I don't want this thread to get hijacked into a Donahoe or Long topic. Romero let his anger get the best of him and paid a very steep price. I have so may issues with our correctional systems that is is nice to actually see someone come out rehabilitated and ready to go. He is also VERY lucky UNK was willing to take a chance on him as his options in life with a Violent Felony record would have to be VERY SLIM. He now has a chance to get a degree, prove himself in the public eye and hopefully become a counselor for those in similar situations. There is NO better thing to me than seeing someone not only learn from their mistake but use it as a motivator to become a better person.

This topic is so much bigger to me as there are so many in life, and especially here, who throw stones and have a mightier than thou attitude. Judge not lest ye be judged.

I'm good with second chances. I am not so good with 3rd chances by other programs.

Just to make sure everybody knows what scribe is saying, allow me to translate. Scribe is saying, "Waaaaaaaaah!!!!!!! We won that '11 title, we won that '11 title, we won, we won!!!!!! I hate Cael, he is too, too, too bad he beat us!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Me so, so so, bitter. Me just sooo mad! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I want my mommy!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAA!!"

Wait for it. There will be another show shortly!

I personally am glad to see coaches like Mark Manning of Nebraska take a stand and not allow such misconduct. To tell his athletes that he isn't concerned with how good they are or how much they'll help Nebraska to win. If they aren't decent human beings and they can't behave in a decent manner, then they have no business representing the University of Nebraska wrestling team.

I'm not sure if you remember what happened, but it was kinda out of Manning's hands. It wasn't getting busting for a DUI, or weed, or cheating on an exam - it was a serious deal and he served real time for it.

If I recall correctly, it was catching somebody in the act of trying to rape his mother, beating the living daylights out of them, and he got railroaded for it. I'm nowhere near the physical specimen that Cotton is, but I know that if I caught somebody in that situation, I'd be trying my best to stop it, and the only thing Cotton did wrong was accept a plea.

If I recall correctly, it was catching somebody in the act of trying to rape his mother, beating the living daylights out of them, and he got railroaded for it. I'm nowhere near the physical specimen that Cotton is, but I know that if I caught somebody in that situation, I'd be trying my best to stop it, and the only thing Cotton did wrong was accept a plea.

I wasn't referring to Cotton for the record.

I wasn't referring to Cotton for the record.

I figured, and I wasn't referring to your comment.

It's better to earnestly help kids redeem themselves, rather than making hasty choices for the purpose of winning.

I'm good with second chances. I am not so good with 3rd chances by other programs.

Perhaps one of those programs will give YOU a 3rd chance to hijack this thread as MSU politely asked you not to.

By god, you are an a**hole.

If I recall correctly, it was catching somebody in the act of trying to rape his mother, beating the living daylights out of them, and he got railroaded for it.

+1. There is racial injustice in the world, and if some perfect blond-haired specimen had done the same thing in Bel Air, CA, he'd have gotten a medal for it.

Interesting...it sure doesn't sound like that's what occurred according to the Hutchinson News. They reported that his parents were breaking up and Romero caught his mother in bed with a guy she was having an affair with -- not a rapist. Then Romero and his younger brother beat him nearly to death.

http://blogs.varsitykansas.com/blog/200 ... sentenced/

If I recall correctly, it was catching somebody in the act of trying to rape his mother, beating the living daylights out of them, and he got railroaded for it.

+1. There is racial injustice in the world, and if some perfect blond-haired specimen had done the same thing in Bel Air, CA, he'd have gotten a medal for it.

Hard to believe anyone would get a medal for beating someone with a 2-by-4.

But anyway, congrats to Cotton for doing the best he can to turn his life around. I work in the correctional system and see how hard it is to get yourself out of the cycle of release-no job-crime-reentry.

Recidivism is undiminished by rehabilitation unless recognition and acceptance of certain injustices are achieved successfully and central to the process. For now, Cotton appears focused, seems to have clarified his priorities and to be interested in helping others avoid making similar mistakes. The rights to his continued success should not be hindered by incessant reminders of the apparent disregard for BOTH versions of what transpired at home in his mother’s presence on that unfortunate evening. Any way you look at it, forgiveness is a bitch. Kudos to Romero and everyone dealing with it.