Sign in to follow this  
darocksta

Who has the best record vs. NCAA finalists?

125: Matt McDonough: 6-2 75%

4x over Long 2x over Mega

1x loss to Robles, 1x Escobedo

133: Jordan Oliver: 6-5 55%

1x over Steiber, 2x Over Hochstrasser, 2x over Novachkov, 1x over Dennis

1x loss to Steiber, 2x loss to Ness, 1x loss to Novachkov, 1x Loss to Gomez

141: Kellen Russell: 13-2 87%

3x Novachkov, 4x Marion, 4x Molinaro, 2x Jaggers

2x loss to Jaggers

Wow that is incredible career over other NCAA finalist.

149: Molinaro: 4- 13 24%

Very surprising all wins over Freshman Ness and 13 losses. The progression he had over his career was fantastic. Even for a 4x all american.

4x over Ness,

2x loss to Dake, 2x loss to Palmer, 2x loss to Metcalf, 4x loss to Russell, 2x Loss Ryan Williams,

1x Loss Jaggers

157: Dake:6-1 86%

1x St. John, 2x Molinaro, 2x Humphrey, 1x Marion.

1x loss to Humphrey,

Does have two wins over D2 National champs Hepburn and Jensen which i did not count.

165: David Taylor 5-1 83%

2x over Hatchett, 3x over St. John,

1x Loss to Bubba.

174: Ruth 3-1 75%

1x Much, 2x Lewnes

1x Loss to Much

184: Bosak 3- 11 21%

1x over Hamlin, 1X win over Wright, 1x over Honeycutt

1x Loss to Wright, 4x Loss to Hamlin, 2x Loss to Honeycutt, 2x Loss Kilgore, 1x Loss Pucillo, 1x Loss to M. Askren

197 Simaz 1-7 13%

1x over Honycutt,

2x Loss to Kilgore, 3x Loss to Varner, 2x Loss to M. Askren,

Nelson: 1-0 100%

1x over Rey,

Well we have a winner here in Nelson in win percentage.

I did this very quick so I may have missed some but this is pretty close I believe. Also I only did this years champs so others could have better records. I am very impressed with Russell who gets over looked because of close matches, but man does he just win and his total matches is impressive.

Dake ended up being 6-1. One loss to Reece Humphrey, and wins over Molinaro (2), St. John, Marion, and Humprey (2).

Russell's record is fantastic. I would love to see the records for Metcalf and Burroughs, both guys ran into tons of finalists. I know Metcalf has the same number of career losses as losses to Finalists. I picked them because they spring to mind as the two guys who met the most finalists. As a matter of fact, I'll take a shot at both guys:

Metcalf (not counting All-Star win over Caldwell)

Losses: Palmer, Caldwell (2)

Wins: Burroughs (3), Schlatter, Palmer (5), Jenkins (4), Lang, Churella

Record: 15-3.

Burroughs

Losses: Metcalf (4; more than Metcalf's wins because Metcalf was redshirting so I didn't put it on his record), Schlatter (3), Palmer, Jenkins

Wins: Palmer (2), Churella (3), Lang, JP O'Connor (2), Schlatter, Vallimont, Gillespie, Poeta, Howe, Caldwell (3), Leen

Record: 17-9.

Wow. 18 and 26 NCAA finalists faced! That's crazy. Burroughs lost his last match to a finalist in the NCAA semis to Metcalf and then ran off 12 straight wins over Finalists.

Howe: 9-5 64%

2x over Hatchett, 2x over Tyler Caldwell, 1x over Reader, 4x over Vallimont

1x Loss to Burroughs, 1x Tyler Caldwell, 1x Loss Lewnes, 1x Loss Reader, 1x Loss king

On a side note two of his loses his freshman year being majored by Dwyer and losing 9-3 to Moza Fay how was tough but by that score.

Q. Wright: 5-5 50%

1x over Bosak, 1x over Hamlin, 1x Honeycutt, 1x Hamlin, 1x Borschel

2x Loss Hamlin, 2x Luke, 1x Bosak

I'll probably miss some, but here's a beginning to Cael's record against NCAA finalists (SPOILER ALERT: IT'S 100%)

Wins: Mark Munoz (2), Vertus Jones (2), Brad Vering (2), Brandon Eggum (5), Damion Hahn (1), Daniel Cormier (6), Rob Rohn (1), Josh Lambrecht (3), Scott Barker (2), Jon Trenge (2)

So that's 26-0 with 14 of those wins by bonus. Not too shabby.

Losses: Sajid Sajidov, Yoel Romero, Sharif Sharifov, Khadjimourat Gatsalov

Pretty sure those guys all made the NCAA finals.

I'll probably miss some, but here's a beginning to Cael's record against NCAA finalists (SPOILER ALERT: IT'S 100%)

Wins: Mark Munoz (2), Vertus Jones (2), Brad Vering (2), Brandon Eggum (5), Damion Hahn (1), Daniel Cormier (6), Rob Rohn (1), Josh Lambrecht (3), Scott Barker (2), Jon Trenge (2)

5 wins vs Brandon Eggum, the World Silver Medalist? 6 wins vs Daniel Cormier? Very Impressive.

Sent via Tapatalk

1x St. John, 2x Molinaro, 2x Humphrey, 1x Molinaro.

1x loss to Humphrey,

Does have two wins over D2 National champs Hepburn and Jensen which i did not count.

That should be 1x Marion not Molinaro.

1x St. John, 2x Molinaro, 2x Humphrey, 1x Molinaro.

1x loss to Humphrey,

That should be 1x Marion not Molinaro.

Thank you I fixed it.

^^^ If Mr A wrestled four seasons - 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012, and was an NCAA finalist in 2012, then I guess you might count the matches against Mr A for the 2012 season only? Probably means a lot more to beat an NCAA finalist the season he was an NCAA finalist, rather than several years before.

Mighty Metcalf was 19-3 just an eyelash better than Dake's 6-1.

WINS

Lance Palmer 5x

Jordan Burroughs 4x

Bubba Jenkins 4x

Frank Molinaro 2x

Josh Churella 1x

Ryan Lang 1x

Dustin Schlatter 1x

Darrion Caldwell 1x

LOSSES

Darrion Caldwell 2x

lance Palmer 1x

I may be missing a match or two... but Mike Frick has a pretty good history v. national champs (and finalists). During his career, Frick beat 7 different national champs a total of 8 times, in competition at 5 different weight classes. Although Frick's heaviest NCAA weight class was 134, 4 of the 7 champs he beat won their titles at 142 or higher. Frick's record:

WINS:

Dec-72: Sherman (IA), 9-7 @ 118. Sherman was NCAA champ @ 118, '73

Jan-73: Breece (OK), 14-4 @ 126. Breece was NCAA champ @ 118, '74

Feb-73: Martin (Ok St), 7-6 @ 126 (All Star Classic)

Dec-73: Milkovich (Mich St), 2-0 @ 126. Milkovich was NCAA champ @ 126 in '74

Mar-75: Barrett (Ok State), 8-2 @ 134. Barrett was NCAA champ @ 142 in '77

Mar-75: Beatson (OK), 10-5 @ 134 - Frick wins 1st NCAA title & OW award

Dec-75: Churella (Mich), 7-1 @ 150 (Midlands). Churella was a 3x champ

Jan-76: Bennett (Yale), 8-3 @ 150. Bennett was NCAA champ @ 142 in '75

Feb-76 Smith (IA), 10-4 @ 142 (All Star Classic). Smith was NCAA champ @ 142 in '76

Mar-76: Milkovich (Mich St), 7-4 @ 134. Frick wins 2nd NCAA title

LOSSES:

Jan-73: Glass (IA St), LBF @ 126.

Feb-74: Fritz (PSU), 4-3 @ 126. Fritz was NCAA champ @ 126 in 1975

Mar-74: Fritz (PSU), 8-6 @ 126.

Mar-74: Fritz (PSU), 7-2 @ 126.

TIES:

Jan-74: Glass (IA St), 3-3 @ 126

Jan-76: Smith (IA), 4-4 @ 142

Total:

10-4-2 (68.8%) vs. NCAA finalists

8-3-1 (70.8%) vs. NCAA champs

Addtional tidbit: In Frick's junior year, he won the NCAA title and OW award by winning 6 matches (he had a pigtail). All six of his opponents made All-American during their careers.

Results compliments of Boomer's database.

Were all those wins in college or is that counting some in senior level freestyle competition? (impressive no matter what the count)

Lewboo was 59-26-1 from what he tells me, many collegiately, some of those freestyle:

Jim Gibbons 4-2, Joe Gibbons 1-0, John Smith 1-3, Leroy Smith 4-5, Tom Brands 2-0, Jesse Reyes 2-0, Jim Jordan 6-0, Darryl Burley 4-1-1, CD Mock 4-0, John Azevedo 1-0, Mike Land 5-5, Mike Frick 1-0, Nick Gallo 3-0, Dan Cuestas 2-0, Andre Metzger 2-5, Scott Turner 1-0, Clar Anderson 2-0, Terry Steiner 2-0, Jack Reinwand 3-0, Ken Mallory 1-0, Matt Demaray 1-1.

He was 0-2 vs Nate Carr, and 0-1 vs Brian Dolph and Eddie Urbano.

My record was 2-13, for those of you who care :lol: no shocker there. lol

Lewboo was 59-26-1 from what he tells me, many collegiately, some of those freestyle:

Jim Gibbons 4-2, Joe Gibbons 1-0, John Smith 1-3, Leroy Smith 4-5, Tom Brands 2-0, Jesse Reyes 2-0, Jim Jordan 6-0, Darryl Burley 4-1-1, CD Mock 3-0, John Azevedo 1-0, Mike Land 5-5, Mike Frick 1-0, Nick Gallo 3-0, Dan Cuestas 2-0, Andre Metzger 2-5, Scott Turner 1-0, Clar Anderson 2-0, Terry Steiner 2-0, Jack Reinwand 3-0, Ken Mallory 1-0, Matt Demaray 1-1.

He was 0-3 vs Nate Carr, and 0-1 vs Brian Dolph and Eddie Urbano.

Hints on those two victories, BadgerMon?

I split with a Buckeye a few years before he won it all, and a freestyle win over an Okie Stater.

Jim Gibbons 4-2, Joe Gibbons 1-0, John Smith 1-3, Leroy Smith 4-5, Tom Brands 2-0, Jesse Reyes 2-0, Jim Jordan 6-0, Darryl Burley 4-1-1, CD Mock 3-0, John Azevedo 1-0, Mike Land 5-5, Mike Frick 1-0, Nick Gallo 3-0, Dan Cuestas 2-0, Andre Metzger 2-5, Scott Turner 1-0, Clar Anderson 2-0, Terry Steiner 2-0, Jack Reinwand 3-0, Ken Mallory 1-0, Matt Demaray 1-1.

He was 0-3 vs Nate Carr, and 0-1 vs Brian Dolph and Eddie Urbano.

Hints on those two victories, BadgerMon?

2x loss to Jaggers

Really should be a 4xer. People who look at scores only won't realize how dominant he was and in hard weight classes.

And the sad thing is if he didn't redshirt, he'd have denied Dake from being a 4xer.

2x loss to Jaggers

Really should be a 4xer. People who look at scores only won't realize how dominant he was and in hard weight classes.

And the sad thing is if he didn't redshirt, he'd have denied Dake from being a 4xer.

He do think he should have been a 4x AA. He should not have lost to Cody Cleveland his fresman year in the round of 12. Losing to Jaggers in the Quaters after beating him 2x was tough but everyone knew that was going to be a tough match. And I still cant believe he got Pinned in a tilt by Ryan Prater in the quaters after teching him and beating him another time.

2x loss to Jaggers

He do think he should have been a 4x AA. He should not have lost to Cody Cleveland his fresman year in the round of 12. Losing to Jaggers in the Quaters after beating him 2x was tough but everyone knew that was going to be a tough match. And I still cant believe he got Pinned in a tilt by Ryan Prater in the quaters after teching him and beating him another time.

Kellen was a very special competitor, especially his last 2 years....he beat some other very tough guys in his wt. class too, like Kennedy and Thorn.