Sign in to follow this  
blametheref

wrestle backs are a waste of time

Obviously The only people who try in wrestle backs are the people who knew they werent going to win in the first place so my question is why even waste all this time to reward that type of attitude. just because you beat the number 1 guy in the consolation bracket doesn't mean your better, it just means he already knows his seasons over and that match is just phoned in. its not like anyone cares who took 7th in 5 years from now. i know people will mention the "team race" and thats a great point. i actually think it will give a more accurate picture of which team has better champions if we do away with wrestle backs. Think about it, how is it fair that a team can win the whole tournament without a single champion.

I think you totally underestimate the competitiveness of collegiate wrestlers.

I cannot remember the year or the name of the wrestlers, but there was a consolation match between and Iowa State and Iowa wrestler. I think it was 141 and they both had their heads bandaged and were bleading like crazy going into multiple overtimes. Some of the grittiest stuff I have ever seen was in wrestle backs.

I cannot remember the year or the name of the wrestlers, but there was a consolation match between and Iowa State and Iowa wrestler. I think it was 141 and they both had their heads bandaged and were bleading like crazy going into multiple overtimes. Some of the grittiest stuff I have ever seen was in wrestle backs.

It was 133, and it was Nick Fanthorpe of ISU and Joe Baker of Navy.

This doesn't deserve a serious response. Don't feed the trolls.

i love how i get accused of being a troll for stating what alot of other people are thinking. the championship bracket is the only thing that matters at the end of the day everyone else lost. "6th place" is just a nice way to say you managed to lose 3 times in one tournament. Anyone that disagrees with this is obviously just a wrestle back guy. Im not saying we don't need wrestle back guys we just dont need wrestle backs. we need wrestle back guys to be the steping stones of the opening rounds, quarter finals and even the semis i understand that not everyone can be the champion we need these guys to make the winner look good. I have alot more respect for the guys that lose and default out of the tournament people that do that dont consider themselves wrestleback guys there the champions that got upset. Even wrestle back guys can win a few flukes and take the whole thing thats what keeps them in the sport and thats why we wrestle the matches.

This doesn't deserve a serious response. Don't feed the trolls.

i love how i get accused of being a troll for stating what alot of other people are thinking. the championship bracket is the only thing that matters at the end of the day everyone else lost. "6th place" is just a nice way to say you managed to lose 3 times in one tournament. Anyone that disagrees with this is obviously just a wrestle back guy. Im not saying we don't need wrestle back guys we just dont need wrestle backs. we need wrestle back guys to be the steping stones of the opening rounds, quarter finals and even the semis i understand that not everyone can be the champion we need these guys to make the winner look good. I have alot more respect for the guys that lose and default out of the tournament people that do that dont consider themselves wrestleback guys there the champions that got upset. Even wrestle back guys can win a few flukes and take the whole thing thats what keeps them in the sport and thats why we wrestle the matches.

PFTCommenter?

It was 133, and it was Nick Fanthorpe of ISU and Joe Baker of Navy.

+1

I remember someone previously posting a picture of them getting set in referee's position that was a classic. Can't seem to find it, though.

Wrestle backs are not a waste of time, but they do lead to some odd resutls sometimes. The level of motivation can vary widely between the competitors. Often youll have, say, a lower-ranked wrestler who is just so pumped for a shot at a medal against a higher ranked wrestler who just lost a heartbreaker and just wants to go home and cry.

any wrestler worth anything cares about wrestlebacks. winning might be everything but wrestlebacks are where the real character in wrestling shows. any "great" wrestler (Taylor, Ruth, Stieber) can dominate their way to an NCAA title but could that same wrestler overcome adversity and win 7 straight to claim 3rd after a 1st round upset or win another 2 after that rideout heartbreaker they were "assured to win". 3rd might not be 1st but you should ask David Taylor how he feels about finishing the year twice with his hand not raised at all

While leaving the topic alone, let it be mentioned that the Fanthorpe-Baker was about the bloodiest (and maybe grittiest) bout ever witnessed? Two warriors unwilling to quit and all for the "lowly" seventh place podium spot in the consolation finals. Couldn't believe the ref let them finish but who was gonna stop em'?

Fanthorpe-Baker was a great match.

To the TS, " just because you beat the number 1 guy in the consolation bracket doesn't mean your better"

Well, under your logic the number 1 guy wouldn't be the number one guy he'd be just another wrestleback kind of guy.

Who do we blame for you being a can?

Wrestlebacks a waste of time?

I completely disagree with your post.

Wrestlebacks is where tournaments are won or lost.

Wrestlebacks is where the individuals show their true charater and determination.

Fanthrope - Baker will forever be imprinted in my mind as one of the greatest individual matches i have ever witnessed at any level of wrestling. It was gladiator like, with both athletes imposing their will on each other, despite very visible injuries. At the time i was shocked that the refs and medical personnel let the match continue, but they did and it was epic.

He is correct about ONE thing. The motivation levels can vary IMMENSELY. If you are a senior expected to make the finals and were upset it is very possible you won't rebound and wrestle as hard as you have in the past. This can also be compounded by whether or not you are on a team that is in the mix for a championship. With that said, I love consi matches and the heart shown by so many wrestlers trying to make the podium is truly inspiring.