Sign in to follow this  
mcm2

EIWA note

As an EIWA fan, tough to admit that the tourney will expose how weak the conference was this year.Cornell will wrestle tough as usual but the the EIWA field looks to be in big trouble. As a side....what the heck is going on @ Bucknell?

The EIWA is way down outside of Cornell. It wasn't too long ago that Lehigh and Penn were going neck and neck with Cornell...both programs are down. Harvard and American were never deep but used to be good for at least 1 or 2 studs. Hofstra is new to the EIWA but is a shadow of its former self.

I can see the progress at Lehigh, but WTF is going on at Penn?

Lehigh is going to be tough next year. Cruz had a very good season even though he didn't AA, and his brother is coming back. Beckman also has had a very good season, better than I expected. He beat up on Grey to make AA, increasing the gap with Grey, who was much closer in the past. Minotti was a big surprise and has a lot of upside still. In my opinion, Riddick is the best 174 lber in the EIWA and just a freshman. He can definitely hang with the best kids in the country with some improvement and more maturity. If only Napoli would finally string together a season that befits his potential...

This year is proof that Lehigh is recruiting well and developing well.

Penn is just losing too many recruits to the other smart wrestling schools: Cornell, Northwestern, even Stanford now. Back in my day, Penn was the "Cornell of the past", the top choice for smart kids who wanted an even mix of top academics and wrestling. Cornell and Penn used to split the guys who wanted the balance of academics and wrestling, and Penn would usually win, but now Cornell wins almost every time and Northwestern and Stanford are in the mix more than before. And it used to be that kids who could get into Harvard (or Stanford for that matter), but really wanted a better balance of wrestling and academics would choose Penn, but now they choose Harvard every time.

Penn may need a coaching change to get back to its glory days. They are just getting out-recruited badly.

Cruz had a very good season even though he didn't AA, and his brother is coming back.

Cruz is in the 7/8 match tomorrow.

I obviously read the brackets wrong.

Even more to the point. How many gave him a legit shot at AA? I think he's had one of the best freshman seasons of anyone in the country relative to expectations, and he still looks like a baby as a true frosh. Has 4x AA potential written all over him.

Cruz had a very good season even though he didn't AA, and his brother is coming back.

Even more to the point. How many gave him a legit shot at AA? I think he's had one of the best freshman seasons of anyone in the country relative to expectations, and he still looks like a baby as a true frosh. Has 4x AA potential written all over him.

true that. I know I was screaming for Santoro to RS him this year. Can't wait to see how he does when he's able to fill out a bit more.

true that. I know I was screaming for Santoro to RS him this year. Can't wait to see how he does when he's able to fill out a bit more.

"Penn is just losing too many recruits to the other smart wrestling schools: Cornell, Northwestern, even Stanford now. Back in my day, Penn was the "Cornell of the past", the top choice for smart kids who wanted an even mix of top academics and wrestling. Cornell and Penn used to split the guys who wanted the balance of academics and wrestling, and Penn would usually win, but now Cornell wins almost every time and Northwestern and Stanford are in the mix more than before. And it used to be that kids who could get into Harvard (or Stanford for that matter), but really wanted a better balance of wrestling and academics would choose Penn, but now they choose Harvard every time.

Penn may need a coaching change to get back to its glory days. They are just getting out-recruited badly."

Actually Jack Spates was the guy who got things rolling at Cornell in the late 80s/early 90s. Then Penn had a good run in the late 90s/early 00s and it's been Cornell dominating since then. Penn has been out-recruited lately. They have also been outspent. As a dual team, Penn has taken some lumps, but Penn has an All American this year and Cornell and Lehigh each have three. That's actually not that bad. Even in Penn's glory days, I don't know that they ever had more than three in a year. Lehigh is a traditional wrestling power and Cornell is an anomaly awash in cash. Koll has obviously done a great job. A coaching change may or may not significantly improve results for Penn. I guess it depends on how much they want to spend to get another few All Americans.

Obviously, it's not every day, or even every century, when the chairman of Goldman Sachs and his rich alumni buddies pony up, what, double digit millions was it? All earmarked for wrestling. That obviously makes a difference in being able to keep Koll happy, get and keep guys like Hahn, who has been instrumental in building the program, and create a legitimate redshirt alternative through the RTC.

That said, Penn's problem is not that Pottruck, Penn's answer to Steve Friedman, is not as generous an alum. It's not just Cornell. Penn is starting to get out-recruited by Stanford, for crying out loud, when Stanford is harder to get into and has arguably even fewer resources than Penn. It's actually quite frustrating to see. Penn is getting out-recruited by neighboring Lehigh, Northwestern, even Harvard (when the kid in question can even get in).

When i talk to up-and-coming HS blue chippers, for those with the grades to go Ivy, Penn is just not in the conversation in the same way anymore, when it used to be one of two, maybe three top choices for the very serious wrestler with grades. Eiter needs to do a much better job with recruiting if he wants to stay relevant. Obviously, Penn as a school sells itself, but so do the various other competitors I mentioned.

And since I'm not a big fan of whining without presenting a solution, here's a solution: hire Tim Flynn of Edinboro. He probably wouldn't cost a penny more and I am confident you'd see results right away.

Tim Flynn is doing a great job at Edinboro. But what makes you think he wouldn't cost a penny more to coach at Penn? Why would he want that job without something to sweeten the deal? Edinboro just got 5th this year ahead of Cornell. What's the likelihood that he can expect to do that at Penn with far less resources than Cornell? I know he's done a lot at Edinboro, but Penn is a different animal in many ways, including admission standards. Guys like Donahoe are out of the question. The cost of living is higher substantially higher in Philadelphia, so it's possible he would effectively be taking a pay cut when you figure in camps etc (I don't really know since I don't know the pay at Penn or Edinboro). You would also have to take into account pay for assistants and how far their money would go in Philadelphia. Guys also can't just hang out and train after graduation when rent is $1000 a month. It's hard for any wrestling team to be consistently good in an area where the cost of living is high. Most wrestling coaches simply don't make enough money.

A new coach at Penn might help, but coaching is hard and lots of fans seemed to be shocked when some big name doesn't take over some struggling program whenever there is a new opening. Often there is a good reason the program is struggling that doesn't necessarily reflect the coach.

As a side note, I enjoyed your analysis of the tournament wrestlingnerd. Especially the first round breakdown. Good call with Avery.

Flynn would have to significantly change his style recruiting/coaching at UPenn. Not saying he can't do it, but it's a completely different beast. I don't think UPenn or any of the other ivies should strive to match the success of Cornell, because to do so they would likely have to make similar compromises against the "spirit" of the ivy league.

What a great tourny! never dissappoints.

EIWA wrestled tough...bit young this year... Lehigh came to battle....always a Santoro fan so it was nice to see them compete hard.

The Koll machine looks to be primed for a huge run next year.

I know it's been discussed many times but the couple of things that kept replaying in my mind after the finals was first the tremendous performance by Chris Perry and the sheer excitement of John Smith/Espo as time ran out and also the stunning ability of Ramos to get the backs when things looked bleak. I feel for Graff as he will replay the sequence over in his mind for a long time....two tough dudes.

BTW.....since coaching changes were mentioned, let me throw out a guy that will land an HC job and do a tremendous job... Brian Snyder...... did you hear that folks out in Bison-land.

Flynn doesn't seem like an Ivy League guy. Doubt he would enjoy living in Philly.

He seems like a guy that would be an awesome hire for a blue collar lower standard program like Bakersfield or Nebraska. I could see him putting together power house teams at Bakersfield taking his pick or the west coast talent and developing the hard workers.

First time since 2001 that the EIWA did not produce a champion. Cornell the top finisher had fewer points than Cornell (2nd 93.5 points), American (5th 65 points), and Lehigh (8th 58.6 points) did in 2011. I think Lehigh and Cornell will be back better next year, but it's hard to imagine American having that kind of success in the near future.

Nice to see F&M, Rutgers, and Brown wrestlers reach the podium. Rutgers might be able to make a run, but even they were a much better team in 2011... definitely a top 10 dual team. No idea how Russo (4 seed), Mason (7), Winston (8), or Cocozzo (10) all failed to place that year.