Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Team Results seem all but decided

Yeah, Iowa and Minn have an uphill battle now - but Okla St could make a strong run with a few more good rounds. Dieringer, Perry, Caldwell make finals - and strong wrestle backs could put them right in the running. Still WAY too early to consider them a strong contender to dethrone PSU - but their odds look best right now

Have to disagree. Alton and Gingrich are far from a lock to AA, English is a longshot to do so, Megaludis could finish 3rd, Brown could end up 5th or 6th in a weight that is very top heavy, Retherford looked great in the first round but has two more tough matches just to reach the semis. Taylor and Ruth are going to score a lot of points, granted. PSU will probably win but you can hardly say it's locked up after one round.

Moore and Dardanes have tough roads back, but should give a good run. I still think Lofthouse AAs without much problem.

Looking at the brackets, Grothus and English could meet up and the winner would have a decent shot to AA. That could help out Iowa a lot.

It's far from over in my opinion, with 4 teams still having a legitimate shot at making a run. Iowa is probably positioned the best to overtake Penn State. Both teams have all 10 wrestlers still alive, but Iowa has one more in the QF's than Penn State. Minnesota, with 9 guys still alive, also has one more than the Lions in the QF's. And you can never count out Oklahoma State, last year's runner-up, who were just four points short of winning it all.

Top 5 Teams - Points - # in QF's - # in Consi's

Penn State - 26.5 points - 5 in QF's - 5 in Consi's

Minnesota - 21.5 points - 6 in QF's - 3 in Consi's

Oklahoma State - 21.5 points - 5 in QF's - 3 in Consi's

Iowa - 20.5 points - 6 in QF's - 4 in Consi's

Oklahoma - 20.5 points - 4 in QF's - 4 in Consi's

McIntosh has a tough road ahead. If he doesn't AA or finishes 7/8th it could leave the door open.

That loss really hurt. I have Morgan winning over Mitchell tomorrow, but even that is no gimme. There are three consi matches tomorrow where both wrestlers are rated lower than Mitchell. Then, assuming Morgan wins, he would draw Perry. Tough road ahead is right on.

Iowa and Minny's poor/mediocre showings have put them behind the eight ball. It's not "set in stone" but it would take a minor (sports) miracle for Penn State to lose this thing. Sorry headshuck. :(

Insert foot in mouth.

It's far from over in my opinion, with 4 teams still having a legitimate shot at making a run. Iowa is probably positioned the best to overtake Penn State. Both teams have all 10 wrestlers still alive, but Iowa has one more in the QF's than Penn State. Minnesota, with 9 guys still alive, also has one more than the Lions in the QF's. And you can never count out Oklahoma State, last year's runner-up, who were just four points short of winning it all.

Top 5 Teams - Points - # in QF's - # in Consi's

Penn State - 26.5 points - 5 in QF's - 5 in Consi's

Minnesota - 21.5 points - 6 in QF's - 3 in Consi's

Oklahoma State - 21.5 points - 5 in QF's - 3 in Consi's

Iowa - 20.5 points - 6 in QF's - 4 in Consi's

Oklahoma - 20.5 points - 4 in QF's - 4 in Consi's

I see things pretty similar to you Hurricane;

Iowa is still the #1 threat, imo. Despite those first round losses, Moore and Lofthouse can still finish at or even above seed and the team overall has the potential to score a lot of points with 10 active wrestlers and multiple finalist.

Minnesota is also in the running but it could a difficult day for them. They are going to need to perform above seed today for them to remain a legitimate threat for the title. Nelson may very well be their only finalist and that's not even a sure thing.

Oklahoma State is going to need everything to go just right to still be in contention headed into the finals. Their 184 & 197 were eliminated without scoring a point and Morrison is already in the consolations. Kindig could possibly make the finals (can't believe I just typed that) along with Dieringer, Perry and Caldwell so you can't just dismiss the Cowboys on the strength of that potential alone, however, even if that happens they will all be underdogs to one degree or another in all those final matches.

In the end I think these 3 teams are going to cannibalize each other and make it very hard for any of them to score the kind of points necessary to take out Penn State PROVIDED the Lions perform at, or close to seed going forward and Taylor and Ruth bring home titles.

This tournament, like this season so far, has proven NOTHING is a given. I can't believe someone would even suggest anything has been decided after the first round. All the top teams have taken some lumps and pulled t some nice surprises. Some high seeds have been knocked off early, a ton of low seed or unseeded guys have made the quarters, wrestle backs will be crazy with all the upsets. All-Americans or "sure fire" potential All-Americans will be meeting in the early consi rounds, still next to impossible to predict who will get on the podium in a lot of wide open weights.

As far as the team race goes, I do see Penn St as a slight front runner, despite having fewer in the quarters. I think they will advance all 5 to the semis. Minnesota has a tough road in the quarters and are the underdogs, either on paper or in most peoples minds, at 5 of the 6. Minny has made their living in the wrestle backs and they'll really need to do it again. Oklahoma St is doing better than expected with Marsden and Kindig stepping up. Morrison hurt them but could still wrestle to seed, no points from a returning AA doesn't help. Iowa is in great shape, Burak's win plus Mcintosh's loss gives them a great shot at the semis there. Moore and Lofthouse hurts, tho they could still wrestle to seed, but given the bracket and the fact that he was fresh off a win over Steinhaus I thought Lofthouse had a real shot at the finals. If Evans can beat Brown again or Clark upset Delgado they'll be in great shape. Of course, Ramos will need to wrestle better than he did on day 1. And of course Oklahoma still has a shot at a team trophy, Brewer was a big lift, could have used a few points from a former AA in Lester.

Today will be a great day, and I don't think it will be decided by the time the lights go out tonight. Could set the stage for some extra drama tomorrow, should be incredible two more days!

It was definitely a fun day. Alot of ups and downs for most teams. Mcintosh's loss was not good for PSU.......Would've been nice if English held on to that lead against Tsirtsis, but it was a nice performance by him regardless.

Morrisons loss was a bit surprising, but Kindig looks like he's on a mission and stepped it up. Nice win by Marsden too.....never thought he'd take out Mcmullan.

Iowa is still in decent shape too considering Ramos scored zero bonus and Moore and Lofthouse went down early.

Minnesota follows up a bad round one with a really nice consy round and are hanging tough.

this kind of team race is what I think we all have to look forward to on a yearly basis going forward. Should be fun....especially with the increased coverage now on ESPN for guys like me who dont get to make the trip every year.

Looking forward to the next two days to see how this all unfolds.