Sign in to follow this  
Ohio_Wrestling_Admin

Seeding at 141

Is anyone else completely puzzled by the seeding at 141? You've got Todd Preston, with six losses to unseeded guys and really only one key win (against #8 Vaith, in overtime) to his credit, getting the #10 seed. Four of those guys who beat him didn't even qualify. Intermat doesn't even have him in the Top 20. I mean, when you are 22-8 on a Harvard schedule, it's not rocket science that you aren't #10 seed material. As far as I can tell, Preston was actually helped by the fact that the guys he lost to were so bad that they didn't qualify. Since they weren't part of the bracket, it's almost like the seeding committee didn't compare their results when making their head to head comparisons, and thus, with very few matches against actual qualifiers, his win over Vaith looked huge.

On the other side of the coin, you've got the returning 4th (Ugi) and 5th (Nevinger) place guys not cracking the Top 16 seeds. I know that both have had a few head scratching losses, but it's difficult to believe that their resumes didn't merit top 16 in a weight where everyone has taken turns beating everyone. I mean, the #5 seed is 27-7 wrestling a schedule that isn't exactly Big Ten.

All in all, the seeding here doesn't even resemble Intermat's ranking once you get past the top four guys. Thoughts?

On the other side of the coin, you've got the returning 4th (Ugi) and 5th (Nevinger) place guys not cracking the Top 16 seeds. I know that both have had a few head scratching losses, but it's difficult to believe that their resumes didn't merit top 16 in a weight where everyone has taken turns beating everyone. I mean, the #5 seed is 27-7 wrestling a schedule that isn't exactly Big Ten.

All in all, the seeding here doesn't even resemble Intermat's ranking once you get past the top four guys. Thoughts?

I don't know about Ugi, but Nevinger just didn't have the resume this year to justify seeding him - and as best as I know, the seeding committee has to do their work based on objective criteria from THIS year. So last year's placement is irrelevent, as are outside ranking services.

Is anyone else completely puzzled by the seeding at 141? You've got Todd Preston, with six losses to unseeded guys and really only one key win (against #8 Vaith, in overtime) to his credit, getting the #10 seed. Four of those guys who beat him didn't even qualify. Intermat doesn't even have him in the Top 20. I mean, when you are 22-8 on a Harvard schedule, it's not rocket science that you aren't #10 seed material. As far as I can tell, Preston was actually helped by the fact that the guys he lost to were so bad that they didn't qualify. Since they weren't part of the bracket, it's almost like the seeding committee didn't compare their results when making their head to head comparisons, and thus, with very few matches against actual qualifiers, his win over Vaith looked huge.

And yet, Preston won his first match and then beat the 7th seed.