Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Monk headgear

That head gear was required in Wisconsin a few years ago. Most likely around the time Monk was wrestling. They stopped requiring them after data show no reduction in concussions. Or so I've been told.

That head gear was required in Wisconsin a few years ago. Most likely around the time Monk was wrestling. They stopped requiring them after data show no reduction in concussions. Or so I've been told.

You were told wrong! Someone was pulling your leg!!

To my knowledge the Morgan Gladiators were never "required" in Wisconsin. I will say they are very popular in Wi.....Whoever provided that information to you was incorrect.

Where is the data showing the help against concussions. I've never seen any. If they do I think it would be a good idea to move towards this type of head gear across wrestling. But someone would have to prove that because I'm not buying that putting a maxi pad on your forehead leads to any significant reduction.

It does not protect against concussions. not even football helmets can prevent that.

however it does protect against cuts and scrapes on the far head.

it should be required. you always see the Iowa guys with wraps around their heads from bad cuts.

it allows head to head contact with much reduced injury to skin.

It does not protect against concussions. not even football helmets can prevent that.

however it does protect against cuts and scrapes on the far head.

it should be required. you always see the Iowa guys with wraps around their heads from bad cuts.

it allows head to head contact with much reduced injury to skin.

Just because something doesn't prevent every concussion doesn't mean they don't protect against them. Football helmets don't prevent every concussion, but they do protect against a whole lot of them.

They were required for our team in Ohio in the early 80's. Very comfortable to wear, never slipped out of position or came undone. The down-side, pain in the butt to get on and off, and ugly as hell. Not sure about preventing concussions....I had one wearing them.