Sign in to follow this  
rstrong

Storley: One of greatest endings ever

Cool storley bro?

Could be. I found in on FB. Maybe I shouldn't share it.

I watched! But couldn't resist an opportunity to insert a meme. I could be late to the storley word game party tho.

Ha, I missed it. I do recall the thread though :)

Kokesh has scored 11 team points for Nebby so far.

Brown has scored 10 team points for Penn State so far.

Storley and Evans, the two quarterfinal winners vs. the two wrestlkers above, have scored 9 team points for their respective teams so far.

Interesting stuff.

Sad part is that he would have had the takedown earlier if the match had not been stopped to wipe blood off his opponent.

Let them bleed if it happens in the middle of a flurry or move. Can always stop it afterward and wipe off a bit of blood.

A strategy question for those of you who are wiser than I am about such things:

In the Storley-Brown match, after a scoreless first period, Storley escapes in the second, but not until Brown racks up 1:04 of RT. So, at the start of the third, Brown chooses down. Why? Although the scoreboard reads 0-1, it is really 1-1. However, (assuming no 4 second escapes at this level), by going down he is essentially giving that point back, and now has to escape just to tie the score. Why not start neutral with the score already tied? In either case you are going to need a TD to win. (Yes, he might get a reversal, but then a Storley escape, which he has shown he can do, ties it right back up. And, heaven forbid, if he gets caught to his back while trying to reverse, with back points then the match might as well be over.)

As the match played out he did get an escape, it went to overtime, and Storley got a TD to win, so the third period decision was moot. But I don't get Brown's logic.

In the Storley-Brown match, after a scoreless first period, Storley escapes in the second, but not until Brown racks up 1:04 of RT. So, at the start of the third, Brown chooses down. Why? Although the scoreboard reads 0-1, it is really 1-1. However, (assuming no 4 second escapes at this level), by going down he is essentially giving that point back, and now has to escape just to tie the score. Why not start neutral with the score already tied? In either case you are going to need a TD to win. (Yes, he might get a reversal, but then a Storley escape, which he has shown he can do, ties it right back up. And, heaven forbid, if he gets caught to his back while trying to reverse, with back points then the match might as well be over.)

As the match played out he did get an escape, it went to overtime, and Storley got a TD to win, so the third period decision was moot. But I don't get Brown's logic.

Because if he starts neutral he only has a virtual point, not a real point. Consider these two scenarios:

Brown chooses down and in 5 seconds he loses the virtual point, match is still 1-0 in favor of Storley. Brown gets out in 30 seconds to tie it 1-1. 30 seconds later Storley gets a take down, 3-1. Brown escapes and its now 3-2.

Brown chooses neutral. Score is 1-0 Storley. 1 minute into the 3rd Storley gets that same takedown, so now it is 3-0. Storley only rides 20 seconds, but erases the RT point, then Brown escapes. Score is 3-1. Brown still needs a take down, but he has to get it with time remaining to get the RT point back OR ride him out. Brown is worse off.

Because if he starts neutral he only has a virtual point, not a real point. Consider these two scenarios:

Brown chooses down and in 5 seconds he loses the virtual point, match is still 1-0 in favor of Storley. Brown gets out in 30 seconds to tie it 1-1. 30 seconds later Storley gets a take down, 3-1. Brown escapes and its now 3-2.

Brown chooses neutral. Score is 1-0 Storley. 1 minute into the 3rd Storley gets that same takedown, so now it is 3-0. Storley only rides 20 seconds, but erases the RT point, then Brown escapes. Score is 3-1. Brown still needs a take down, but he has to get it with time remaining to get the RT point back OR ride him out. Brown is worse off.

Sorry, maybe I'm being dense about this, but I didn't understand why those scenarios explain the decision. In the second version he is a point better, but you have given him two escapes in one period to make up the difference. And, in either of these scenarios Brown must get a final TD to win.

Why isn't a "virtual point" equal to a "real point" when you have a minute in the bank and it is your choice of position?