Weight/Conditioning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blane

blane
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:22 AM

Need some created advice on what works for high school wrestling with our situation. Here is the scenario:

1. Small 4A high school in Kansas, around 300 students enrolled.
2. Students have the option of taking a weights and conditioning class, but it is very limited enrollment, and students are on a block schedule, A/B where we have 1 1/2 hours per day. Some weeks they have the class 3 days, some weeks only 2 days.
3. Our athletes are involved in other sports programs before/after the wrestling season is over with, along with the coaches. The kids have the opportunity to participate in Club wrestling and Freestyle/Greco as well as summer wrestling opportunities.

Our wrestlers need to get stronger, but when is the best time to do it with the schedule issues we have? Should we give up some practice time to lift weights. Should they come in before school, or lift after practice.

How often should we lift? 2 days a week, 3 days a week, every day? Do you lift on Sundays? How long should the lift be? What part of the season do you do what lifts and what weight/reps?

I have implemented many different programs and so I am not a beginner here, but wondering what direction we should go with this. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated?

#2 Chris Orzechowski

Chris Orzechowski
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Hey Blane,

My name is Chris Orzechowski, I am a Strength & Conditioning Coach from NJ and I am also a volunteer high school wrestling coach. I think I can offer you some advice that may help you design a program for your athletes.

Strength training is extremely important, and should be made a priority. Remember, strength is never a weakness.

There are basically two main phases of training for your program: in-season and off-season.

Being that it is almost April, I will assume that it is your offseason, so I will explain that first.

Offseason Strength Training
3x a week
~1 hour per workout
They key to designing effective workouts for your athletes is to keep it simple. Too many coaches have their athletes doing barbell snatches and 1 legged bosu ball stability squats when they have athletes that can't do a good push up or pull up.

Your workouts should begin w/ a complex movement: bench variation, squat variation, or deadlift variation.
I would stick to these few basic variations: goblet squat, front squat, sumo deadlift, trap bar deadlift, dumbell bench, incline dumbell bench.

Next, incorporate some type of explosive movements with these barbell/dumbell movements, for instance
1A) Trap Bar Deadlift 6 x 3
1B) Squat Jump 6 x 8

Make sure your workouts also involve some strongman type movements and also some bodybuulding accessory type movements:

2A) 1arm Dumbell Clean & press 4 x 5 each arm
2B) Barbell Bent over Row 4 x 12-15

You can also throw in some bodyweight movements and weighted carries, think about Milo of Croton here:

3A) Sandbag Carry 4 x 200 feet
3B) Walking Lunge 4 x 20 steps w/ dumbells
3C) Push Ups 4 x sub max

Finish up with some weakness work for your grip and abs

4A) Dumbell Hex hold 3 x max time
4B) Planks 3 x max time

This is just a sample offseason strength building workout.

For inseason you can keep it a lot simpler.

Workouts should be about 20-30 mins long 1-2 times per week, get in, hit what you need, and get out.

Here's a sample inseason workout:
1) KB or DB Goblet Squat 5 x 5
2A) Rope Climb 4 x 1-2 trips
2B) Weighted push ups 4 x sub max
3) KB Swings 4 x 8-12
4A) Grip 3x
4B) Abs 3x

Again, this is just a sample of one possible workout you can do.

Don't be afraid you let your wrestlers go heavy, they are strength athletes. They have to be strong.

As long as you stick to basic power movements: squat, dead lift, bench, overhead press, jump, lunge, heavy carries, sled dragging, and throws, you should be good to go. Don't make it complicated. The basics will always prevail.

Fit this in when you can. Mix it up, sometimes hit it before practice, sometimes hit it after practice. You will find what works best.

By the way, there are also a lot of ways to improve your guys strength within your practice room, without any equipment. If you'd like to hear about these methods, please visit my website http://www.wrestlingcoachacademy.com/ and I would love to help you out.

Chris Orzechowski
www.wrestlingcoachacademy.com

#3 Chris Orzechowski

Chris Orzechowski
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Hey Blane,

My name is Chris Orzechowski, I am a Strength & Conditioning Coach from NJ and I am also a volunteer high school wrestling coach. I think I can offer you some advice that may help you design a program for your athletes.

Strength training is extremely important, and should be made a priority. Remember, strength is never a weakness.

There are basically two main phases of training for your program: in-season and off-season.

Being that it is almost April, I will assume that it is your offseason, so I will explain that first.

Offseason Strength Training
3x a week
~1 hour per workout
They key to designing effective workouts for your athletes is to keep it simple. Too many coaches have their athletes doing barbell snatches and 1 legged bosu ball stability squats when they have athletes that can't do a good push up or pull up.

Your workouts should begin w/ a complex movement: bench variation, squat variation, or deadlift variation.
I would stick to these few basic variations: goblet squat, front squat, sumo deadlift, trap bar deadlift, dumbell bench, incline dumbell bench.

Next, incorporate some type of explosive movements with these barbell/dumbell movements, for instance
1A) Trap Bar Deadlift 6 x 3
1B) Squat Jump 6 x 8

Make sure your workouts also involve some strongman type movements and also some bodybuulding accessory type movements:

2A) 1arm Dumbell Clean & press 4 x 5 each arm
2B) Barbell Bent over Row 4 x 12-15

You can also throw in some bodyweight movements and weighted carries, think about Milo of Croton here:

3A) Sandbag Carry 4 x 200 feet
3B) Walking Lunge 4 x 20 steps w/ dumbells
3C) Push Ups 4 x sub max

Finish up with some weakness work for your grip and abs

4A) Dumbell Hex hold 3 x max time
4B) Planks 3 x max time

This is just a sample offseason strength building workout.

For inseason you can keep it a lot simpler.

Workouts should be about 20-30 mins long 1-2 times per week, get in, hit what you need, and get out.

Here's a sample inseason workout:
1) KB or DB Goblet Squat 5 x 5
2A) Rope Climb 4 x 1-2 trips
2B) Weighted push ups 4 x sub max
3) KB Swings 4 x 8-12
4A) Grip 3x
4B) Abs 3x

Again, this is just a sample of one possible workout you can do.

Don't be afraid you let your wrestlers go heavy, they are strength athletes. They have to be strong.

As long as you stick to basic power movements: squat, dead lift, bench, overhead press, jump, lunge, heavy carries, sled dragging, and throws, you should be good to go. Don't make it complicated. The basics will always prevail.

Fit this in when you can. Mix it up, sometimes hit it before practice, sometimes hit it after practice. You will find what works best.

By the way, there are also a lot of ways to improve your guys strength within your practice room, without any equipment. If you'd like to hear about these methods, please visit my website http://www.wrestlingcoachacademy.com/ and I would love to help you out.

Chris Orzechowski
www.wrestlingcoachacademy.com

#4 redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

If you havent picked it up, Gable wrote a book called "Coaching Wrestling Successfully." He goes over yearly planning in a chapter, and generally tries to do strength gain in the summer, and then back off and maintain during season. The book is worth a look if you have never seen it.

http://www.amazon.co... ... ccessfully

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users