Sign in to follow this  
cornercoach

Mat Management vs. Actual Wrestling

... the thing that's hard to watch is the guy that has done alot of stalling all season, and now needs a takedown in the last 30 seconds, and doesn't have a "go to" attack..... or like niebert, i don't think he knew there was a riding time point ...

Perhaps the most exciting finish yet was the Storley takedown at the end of double overtime to win. The pushout rule would have changed that finish. I know I am in a minority here, but I still think some of the most exciting wrestling takes place at the edge of the mat.

Perhaps the most exciting finish yet was the Storley takedown at the end of double overtime to win. The pushout rule would have changed that finish. I know I am in a minority here, but I still think some of the most exciting wrestling takes place at the edge of the mat.

You aren't in the minority. Push out proponents are just more vocal, but the consequences would be a disaster. You think Iowa often (and others) simply push with no actual attack now, just make it worth points. If I want to watch/coach/participate in sumo I'll become involved in sumo.

You aren't in the minority. Push out proponents are just more vocal, but the consequences would be a disaster. You think Iowa often (and others) simply push with no actual attack now, just make it worth points. If I want to watch/coach/participate in sumo I'll become involved in sumo.

i think the opposite is true of everything you just said. what you lose in moves completed in the edge of the mat you gain back and then some. you'll have far more action finished inside the boundry as you won't see wasted action by wrestlers walking or rolling out of bounds. its a tiny sacrifice to get rid of the worst thing about folkstyle. also its a point, not points.

also sumo is awesome, quit ragging on it.

I am pretty sure this is wrong: With the freestyle pushout rule, a wrestler can still score a takedown at the edge. If a wrestler pushes a guy out and winds up in control as they go out, it's two points, not one.

Totally agree. Push out rule is a horrible idea and I hope it never gains traction.

I am pretty sure this is wrong: With the freestyle pushout rule, a wrestler can still score a takedown at the edge. If a wrestler pushes a guy out and winds up in control as they go out, it's two points, not one.

Yes but his opponent would not have been backing up strategically. Had he circled back in the takedown and others like it would no longer exist.