Sign in to follow this  
fp

FYI..Brands gets paid more $$$ than Cael...

I wasn't being disingenuous at all, or I wasn't trying to be. So I Iowa has a great high school team. That doesn't mean anything. I've heard time and time again that McD was schooled by Oliver after high school. Plus I never said marginal, you did. I said lesser known. I was talking about recruiting wise and Fargo finishes, etc. I can at least think of Stephen Neal and Phil Davis who weren't that great in high school at all. I can also think of several 4 time MO champs who were terrible. Sorry if I came off as trying to spin anything, I wasn't. These are my opinions and I feel that Brands turns some people I've never heard of into contenders.

Is this in response to me? If so, youre preaching to the choir here, and I am completely on board with everything that just said and am a huge supporter of Brands and what Iowa has done with lesser known wrestlers. Speaking of home grown kids, its not out of the imagination to think that in 2-3 years you might see a line up with almost all Iowa HS kids, and possibly 5 from the same high school with both the Moores, Carew, Gambrall, and St. John in the line-up.

Bob-If I used bad examples I'm sorry. I was just thinking off the top of my head. Still not great high school wrestlers. And the fact that they were good at Fargo proves my point right?

dback-No I was responding to Tiger who I guess thought I was trying to spin something when I really believe what a wrestler does at the high school level, or how many state titles they have, is not the best indicator of what they can do at the college level.

Speaking of home grown kids, its not out of the imagination to think that in 2-3 years you might see a line up with almost all Iowa HS kids, and possibly 5 from the same high school with both the Moores, Carew, Gambrall, and St. John in the line-up.

Dziewa, Evans, Telford, and Baldosaro might have something to say about that.

Chip-Slow down with these names. You too dback. You guys are getting me excited. All I've heard is that Iowa will suck once they don't have two teams and you're telling me that we're gonna have those 10 guys in the room at one time? And Marion? And McD? And Lofthouse? And Raising? Oh thank heavens, I thought we were gonna suck and had no talent once we didn't have any VTech guys. I guess we'll manage huh?

Speaking of home grown kids, its not out of the imagination to think that in 2-3 years you might see a line up with almost all Iowa HS kids, and possibly 5 from the same high school with both the Moores, Carew, Gambrall, and St. John in the line-up.

Dziewa, Evans, Telford, and Baldosaro might have something to say about that.

Yep, you are definitely correct about that. Evans will probably be at 197 and Telford at HWT though, so those weights could be theirs, but Dziewa and Baldosaro will have to fight to have a spot in the line-up. In 2 years you could hypothetically see a line-up like this.

125 McDonough/Clark/Ramos

133 Moore/McDonough

141 Marion/Dziewa

149 Carew/Baldosaro/Dziewa

157 Moore

165 St. John

174 Lofthouse

184 Gambrall

197 Evans

HWT Rasing/Telford

Its realistic to think that only 174 and 197 may be the only weights that dont have kids from Iowa competing in them. Of course there is always things that happen, and usually do....such as McDonough, Moore, and Marion someday moving up a weight to leave 125 open for Clark and Ramos

Tripster-So by using that logic. I guess you would also say that Cael gets Iowa St. and Penn St. salaries!!!! If not I'm not mistaken he took wrestlers with him. Or what your trying to imply only applies if it's Iowa?

Actually he took a wrestler (his brother and only for one year of competition, not 3 years), but who is counting! Similar to what are the Iowa haters going to do after this year, what are the Cael haters going to do when Cyler is gone?

Don't forget ISU let Taylor and Machioroli (sp) go there as well.

Tripster-So by using that logic. I guess you would also say that Cael gets Iowa St. and Penn St. salaries!!!! If not I'm not mistaken he took wrestlers with him. Or what your trying to imply only applies if it's Iowa?

Actually he took a wrestler (his brother and only for one year of competition, not 3 years), but who is counting! Similar to what are the Iowa haters going to do after this year, what are the Cael haters going to do when Cyler is gone?

Don't forget ISU let Taylor and Machioroli (sp) go there as well.

True, but they were still high school guys at the time..not on ISU scholarships.

I wonder if together with camps Brands falls into Obama's filthy rich $250K bracket?

unless all the money goes to Terry ?(which it probably does) Tom would make very much more than $250...

Remember, there are endorsement $$, club $$, Camp $$, Freebie$$, gear $$, etc....

I am Glad people at that level of wrastlin are makin some coin. I suspect they pay Zadick and the boys well too, which I am also glad to see

Compared to Cael, Brands is the second coming in developing marginal wrestlers into AAs and Champions.

Brands is definitely more proven than Cael as a coach, there's no question about that. But which marginal wrestlers did he develop into champions? By my count since Brands took over Iowa has had 2 different NCAA champions; Mark Perry and Brent Metcalf are two of the biggest high school recruits in recent memory. Granted, he hasn't had many years coaching to catch up with Gable in that department who is the gold standard by far.

In fact, few NCAA champions over the last decade weren't big time recruits... Both Phil Davis and Keith Gavin didn't have too much success at the Pennsylvania state tournament. Mark Ellis, Josh Glenn and Ben Cherrington were all accomplished but probably not top 50 recruits.

Compared to Cael, Brands is the second coming in developing marginal wrestlers into AAs and Champions.

Brands is definitely more proven than Cael as a coach, there's no question about that. But which marginal wrestlers did he develop into champions? By my count since Brands took over Iowa has had 2 different NCAA champions; Mark Perry and Brent Metcalf are two of the biggest high school recruits in recent memory. Granted, he hasn't had many years coaching to catch up with Gable in that department who is the gold standard by far.

In fact, few NCAA champions over the last decade weren't big time recruits... Both Phil Davis and Keith Gavin didn't have too much success at the Pennsylvania state tournament. Mark Ellis, Josh Glenn and Ben Cherrington were all accomplished but probably not top 50 recruits.

The last 2 years and possibly a 3rd there has been 10 wrestlers on the team that were and are Champions

Marginal wrestlers??

Here are the high school credentials for the Iowa starting lineup. D_Back5 please show me all those "marginal" wrestlers that have been turned into AAs and champions?

125: McDonough - 3 x State Champ (151-15)

133: Dennis - 2 x Runner Up (153-28)

141: Marion - 2 x State Champ; 2 x Runner Up (151-7)

149: Metcalf - 4 x State Champ (228-0)

157: Kerr - 4 x State Place Winner (162-16)

165: Morningstar - 3 x State Champ (164-4)

174: Borschel - 4 x State Champ (163-1)

184: Keddy - 2 x State Champ (146-28)

197: Beatty - 2 x State Champ (109-7)

285: Erikson - 1 x State Champ; 2 x Runner Up (125-13)

Brands deserves credit for helping these guys get to the next level, but he isn't exactly dealing with marginal wrestlers.

McDonough, Dennis, Kerr, and Marion were not very highly recruited wrestlers at all. Its always been Iowas style to turn "marginal" wrestlers into champions and marginal is so subjective it is all opinion anyway what you consider marginal. Spin it how you will, but Iowa usually picks up Iowa HS kids that are not Nationally noticed that much and turns them into Champions. Tell me a school that develops talent better than Iowa during the Gable and Brands years? If we track back to the Gable years, who Brands has studied under, do names like Jesse Whitmer, Daryl Weber, and Doug Schwab ring a bell? Sorry if it stings, but all that Cael has done so far is underachieve in his coaching career. He has shown that he can recruit, but what he does with that talent is far from impressive.

I know that McD (a 4.0 student) received interest from Northwestern and the Ivy League.

Tom Brands' Salary is public information in Iowa:

http://www.press-citizen.com/article/99 ... /304090072

He's listed at $130k base for 2009. Incentives and camps are additional, and if you have the NCAA and Big Ten #1 team two years in a row, incentives and camps will be substantial.

So the idea that Sanderson is paid a lower base salary than Brands is probably incorrect. Sanderson will also get major money for camps. Incentives may have to wait until he does something.

Not really a surprise that Brands gets paid as much as he does considering he has won 2 ncaa team titles and is well on his way to a 3rd straight this weekend.

How many did Zalesky win his first three years?

There is a big difference. Brands had a fallen program whereas Zalesky had a full cupboard. It is hard to follow "the legend".

Yes, McDonough had interest from Ivy League schools and Northwestern, but he was not Nationally very highly ranked. The story goes he was about to put ink to paper to go to Northwestern but slept on it, and the next day made a split decision to sign with Iowa. Didnt turn out too bad for him so far it seems.

Getting out of the flatlands of Iowa is worth a bunch!! And the PA country is a bonus. IMO it's hard to put a $$ value on that!!

Cael is happy, his brothers are happy, and i can'f fault a single one of them.

Getting out of the flatlands of Iowa is worth a bunch!! And the PA country is a bonus. IMO it's hard to put a $$ value on that!!

Obviously, you haven't been to much more of Iowa than I-380, But I can't fault anyone for seeking their happiness somewhere else as well. I live in the East, and I miss Iowa very much.

"flatlands of Iowa". Whatever. You must not be from Iowa. Some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen is in Iowa.

Cael was not overwhelming them at ISU. He was offered major $ so he bolted from a not so rosie situation. He made a smart move

Western Iowa is pretty flat, like most of Nebraska. Eastern Iowa is not flat, but a lot of rolling hills. As far as making one happy, I'd say for most people there are factors more important than geography... family, friends, job, etc.

as the saying goes... if you're happy where you're at, you'll be happy where you're going. as much as i like pa country, never heard it making anyone any happier.

I like that saying and have not heard it for some time...I'm going to start using it. Thank you.