New Coach Musts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

A new coach taking over a program. What are things he must do for success?

#2 tcarr184

tcarr184
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

In answering what I think are musts for new wrestling coaches I think that there are four things you must do and the actual wrestling and coaching side of things are further down the list.

One and two are kind of interchangeable. I think it is important to meet people first so you can figure out how they figure into your plan but maybe you want to have the plan first and try to sell people on the plan you have.

1. First and foremost you need people and you need to understand the people you will work with. Get to know your principal, vice principals, athletic director, booster club presidents, fellow coaches, athletes and parents. Make sure you are approachable to them and do what you can to get them on your side.
Try to figure out what kind of budget you will have for assistants and look for the help that compliments you as a head coach. Do you need someone to help you with technique? Do you need someone that can keep you organized.
Meet with these people. Find out how they can help you with your plan.

2. Make a plan - What does the program need both long and short term, Is the schedule done, is transportation arranged, are the tournament entry fees paid? When will you have your first team meeting? What will you have the team do in the summer and in the fall to get ready for the season. What are you going to do for fundraising?

3. Be visible and be a good representative of your program and school. Get out into your community and increase the connections you have. Go to other sporting events and talk to people. I have always been amazed at the number of people i have met randomly that like sports and wrestling and will be willing to help you.

4. Pack your room with athletes that have the correct attitude. At the high school level a lot of teachers and administrators equate participation with success. The more guys that are part of your program the more the guys have to compete for their spot and the more they have to work and I like that competition. You want to make sure your athletes understand that they represent you and the program and you want to make sure they do it in a way that wont compromise the relationships you built in number one.

I would also suggest setting up a system to keep your practice plans organized and filed in case something ever comes up with a parent or administrator.

From there it is important to put together a training plan and educate yourself on technique and the aspect of coaching that get more attention than the administrative side of coaching.

#3 Big_Al

Big_Al
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

Great advice tcarr184.

To the OP, are you looking for info on all the program intangibles or more narrowly on how to run a practice room for a season?

#4 Illiniluvwrestling

Illiniluvwrestling
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:44 AM

A new coach taking over a program. What are things he must do for success?

New to this forum and saw this. Would like to revisit if possible.

In answering what I think are musts for new wrestling coaches I think that there are four things you must do and the actual wrestling and coaching side of things are further down the list.

One and two are kind of interchangeable. I think it is important to meet people first so you can figure out how they figure into your plan but maybe you want to have the plan first and try to sell people on the plan you have.

1. First and foremost you need people and you need to understand the people you will work with. Get to know your principal, vice principals, athletic director, booster club presidents, fellow coaches, athletes and parents. Make sure you are approachable to them and do what you can to get them on your side.
Try to figure out what kind of budget you will have for assistants and look for the help that compliments you as a head coach. Do you need someone to help you with technique? Do you need someone that can keep you organized.
Meet with these people. Find out how they can help you with your plan.As a parent of an incoming freshman,how would /should parents aproach a coach with suggestions without seeming over bearing? Would anyone recommend a Head Coach leave the "technique" up to someone else so he can focus on the administrative part? How do succesful programs "attract"good technitions?

2. Make a plan - What does the program need both long and short term, Is the schedule done, is transportation arranged, are the tournament entry fees paid? When will you have your first team meeting? What will you have the team do in the summer and in the fall to get ready for the season. What are you going to do for fundraising?Any suggestions here?

3. Be visible and be a good representative of your program and school. Get out into your community and increase the connections you have. Go to other sporting events and talk to people. I have always been amazed at the number of people i have met randomly that like sports and wrestling and will be willing to help you.

4. Pack your room with athletes that have the correct attitude. At the high school level a lot of teachers and administrators equate participation with success. The more guys that are part of your program the more the guys have to compete for their spot and the more they have to work and I like that competition. You want to make sure your athletes understand that they represent you and the program and you want to make sure they do it in a way that wont compromise the relationships you built in number one.How do other coaches get the football program/coach involved to get some of the "bigger"kids involved?This seems like an issue at our school as the current team has a few holes to fill in the upper weights.

I would also suggest setting up a system to keep your practice plans organized and filed in case something ever comes up with a parent or administrator.

From there it is important to put together a training plan and educate yourself on technique and the aspect of coaching that get more attention than the administrative side of coaching.

Very good response above.I had some questions(above in red) to elaborate on the some of the points given.Would love to hear from others on this topic.We have a pretty good club program in the area but in the recent past have seen a decline in success at the HS level by either kids not reaching their potential or kids leaving and going to other schools(privates) in the area.We could very well have a pretty competitive team in the next few yrs with all the kids coming in from the numerous kids clubs in the area.

Thanks,

#5 CoachShannyn

CoachShannyn
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:58 AM

There are many things a new coach should consider prior to designing a high performance program...

Prior to coaching at any level, coaches should complete a coaches certification course via:

• USA Wrestling &
  • ASEP

The above certifications will give a coach the basics and fundamentals of what it takes to run a high performance training system.

After that, new coaches should try to shadow a successful wrestling program either for a year or longer.  This shadowing is sort of like an apprenticeship or an internship which will give most coaches a lot of experience on the daily tasks of running a successful program.

If that is impossible, prior to becoming new head coaches, prospective coaches could become volunteer/assistant coaches at local wrestling clubs to see how that team is organized and run.

The last 2 paragraphs are how many high school and college coaches get started.  That is, many high school and college coaches started off as volunteer assistants or graduate assistants at the high school or collegiate level.  This is how I got started many, many years ago...

The nuts & bolts of coaching are vast and are so interesting to me that this website was created to help aspiring coaches achieve their potential www.therealcircle.com.

Edited by CoachShannyn, 17 October 2015 - 04:00 AM.

#6 claywolf

claywolf
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:37 AM

USA Wrestling offers the following to help:

Free Technique Video: http://www.teamusa.o...core-curriculum

Free Educational Resources (Includes Drills, Games, Warm Ups and more!): http://www.teamusa.o...ional-resources

Long Term Athlete Development Guide: http://content.thema...LTADPoster.pdf 

Coach Education: (great coaches are always learning)

Certifications for Youth 12 and under = Copper

Certifications for Athletes 13 and Up = Bronze

Advanced options for Silver and Gold

http://www.teamusa.o...p-certification

Feel free to reach out anytime!

Mike Clayton

USA Wrestling National Coaches Education Program Manager

mclayton@usawrestling.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users