Sign in to follow this  
tec87

Dake-Taylor Video

Disagree. Thought warning was called correctly and the last 20 secs of overtime varies per ref but I wasn't mad about it.

Interesting how different this was than the freestyle match. My mind says if these two meet regular season Taylor takes it, dake wins at the big dance.

In watching the replay, I counted 4 legitimate shots from Taylor, and a couple of half-hearted ankle pick attempts. Dake had 1 legitimate shot. Hard to call stalling at an All Star match, but I think that a regular match favors Taylor because stalling would/should get called earlier. In fact, he could of legitimately warned both guys early, then hit Dake in the 3rd.

I was there last night and there was a ton of anticipation. I must admit that the match was pretty underwhelming. The wrestling world had a forum to showcase itself...and it didnt step up. Thought these guys would lay it all out there, but I imagine that Taylor wanted to learn from this match & not just completely open it. Dake's style is defensive, so I wasn't as shocked with his strategy.

Maybe Olympic wrestling is more exciting??

The wrestling world had a forum to showcase itself...and it didnt step up.

How so?? The opportunity for a non fan to become a fan was...??A wrestling match that they could attend live if they could get tickets that the East Coast Wrestling world ate up in no time??ORPaying money on a specific wrestling site for a dual that took 2 hours to get to the "Main Event"??I think you're overdramatizing this point.

I thought this rule was being implemented this year?

[/h3][h3]

Stalling

The panel also approved the new criteria that better define the stalling rule, which should help ensure its consistent enforcement.

Stalling is defined as one or both wrestlers attempting to avoid wrestling action as an offensive or defensive strategy.

Wrestlers who consistently retreat to the edge of the mat, make no effort to move back into the wrestling area and fail to initiate action will be cited for stalling.

The rule will be applied in the following instances:

[*:1ppqckbm]A wrestler is not permitted to continually back away from the opponent without creating offensive action.
    [*:1ppqckbm]A wrestler near the edge of the mat cannot step out of bounds unless it is to sprawl from an opponent’s takedown attempt or when interlocked. A participant will be called for stalling if he kicks out from a lower leg hold and as a result of this action the defending wrestler goes out of the wrestling area.
    [*:1ppqckbm]A wrestler who flees or attempts to flee the wrestling area as a means of avoiding being scored upon will be called for stalling. The committee considers fleeing as an attempt by a wrestler to avoid wrestling action; thus, it is considered a form of stalling and should be similarly penalized.

Wrestlers, whether on offense or defense, must make an attempt to sustain active wrestling and remain inbounds. Stalling will be called in the following instances:

[*:1ppqckbm]An offensive wrestler who does not aggressively attempt to break down the opponent will be called for stalling.
    [*:1ppqckbm]Either wrestler pushing his opponent out of bounds to prevent scoring will be cited for stalling.
    [*:1ppqckbm]The offensive wrestler grasping the defensive wrestler’s leg(s) with both hands or arms will be called for stalling, unless such action is designed to break down the opponent for the purpose of securing a fall or to prevent an escape or reversal.
    [*:1ppqckbm]Any wrestler who repeatedly grasps or interlocks his hands around a leg without attempting an offensive move will be called for stalling.
    [*:1ppqckbm]A defensive wrestler must initiate action to escape or reverse the opponent, or he will be called for stalling.
    [*:1ppqckbm]A wrestler who repeatedly applies the legs while in the rear-standing position is stalling.

There is no longer a disqualification penalty involved in the stalling rule.

I think the match benifitted Dake more . Quite frankly if they both opened up full throttle I'd bet the house Dake wins more scrambles, and the probablilty one of them ends up on their back once or twice will benefit Dake IMO. Taylor could win this match up , but his best chance is from a defensive Dake like we saw last night , and Taylor wasn't willing to open up either and try to TEST Dake's defense, I'm personally not shocked by that .

Before the match, I thought Dake would dominate him. After the match and despite the result, I thought Taylor looked like the better wrestler. I was impressed that he was able to so well on bottom.

Still - Taylor was clearly better conditioned and as the season goes on I think Dake will get stronger and beat him two more times.

Neither is close to the level of JB two years ago.

Dake backs up 80% of the match, should have been called 3xs, touch the head shuffle backwards, touch the head step back,. After all of the talk of more stalling calls in the off season, this would have been a great time to start with the new version of the rule. Make it even easier to call, if he backs up on his feet it's stalling, if he's riding and not coming out to the side it's stalling, if he not moving on bottom it's stalling. Problem solved.

Jeez, Taylor didn't wrestle his style at all. Not much movement on his feet, relatively slow pace, flat footed......he wrested more of an international style, with the exception being that those guys actually score with that style, and Taylor didn't. The problem for Taylor is that in order to wrestle his best, he really has to wrestle the style that he's used to, but the risk of doing so against Dake is that he might lose by a larger margin. Shows how much Dake is in Taylor's head, when he forces Taylor to completely change his normal game plan.

And I agree Dake didn't look very good either. Spent lots of time on the edge. No real offense. What was clear though, was that even being in bad shape and having zero offense, he still controlled Taylor with a 2 on 1 and took away Taylor's stuff.

I really want the stalling to be enforced, but this would have been a bad example.

Wouldn't have wanted this match decided by stalling calls. Perhaps if the stalling warnings come earlier we will get to see some real action. Not just shot attempts that keep the ref off your back.

Once the season is actually going and they have established how and when they are calling stalls then so be it. Force the action we all want to see.

Dake backs up 80% of the match, should have been called 3xs, touch the head shuffle backwards, touch the head step back,. After all of the talk of more stalling calls in the off season, this would have been a great time to start with the new version of the rule. Make it even easier to call, if he backs up on his feet it's stalling, if he's riding and not coming out to the side it's stalling, if he not moving on bottom it's stalling. Problem solved.

At least you are watching the match objectively.

I'm on record as saying I'm not a fan of stalling (I know I'm in the minority) deciding a match or refs inserting themselves in matches. This has nothing to do with my opinion of Dake and Taylor. It's my opinion on stalling. Not every wrestler wrestles like David Taylor. Does that mean that the way Dake wrestles is wrong? No! There are more than one way to wrestle and be effective and dominant. Just my opinion. As far as that match goes please don't use "Dake should have been called for stalling" as a reason Taylor lost. Just please don't do it.

I'm on record as saying I'm not a fan of stalling (I know I'm in the minority) deciding a match or refs inserting themselves in matches. This has nothing to do with my opinion of Dake and Taylor. It's my opinion on stalling. Not every wrestler wrestles like David Taylor. Does that mean that the way Dake wrestles in wrong? No! There are more than one way to wrestle and be effective and dominant. Just my opinion. As far as that match goes please don't use "Dake should have been called for stalling" as a reason Taylor lost. Just please don't do it.

I second this. Ref could have even hit Dake to tie it up in OT, but it wasn't a missed call.

I'm on record as saying I'm not a fan of stalling (I know I'm in the minority) deciding a match or refs inserting themselves in matches. This has nothing to do with my opinion of Dake and Taylor. It's my opinion on stalling. Not every wrestler wrestles like David Taylor. Does that mean that the way Dake wrestles in wrong? No! There are more than one way to wrestle and be effective and dominant. Just my opinion. As far as that match goes please don't use "Dake should have been called for stalling" as a reason Taylor lost. Just please don't do it.

I second this. Ref could have even hit Dake to tie it up in OT, but it wasn't a missed call.

I said this last night too.

I am a fan of stalling calls as long as you call them all the same way. This was not the time to call one. It was close however.

By the way I did predict Dake winning a close, low scoring match with Taylor furiously trying to score at the end. I'm going to consider myself correct even though I envisioned a tad more scoring. Probably will be next time.

too bad if the ref doesn't call stalling. you can't score you lose. tough.

let the wrestlers figure it out, leave the ref out of it.

I would just stop watching if that's what the sport resorted to. There are hundreds of situations where you could say leave the refs out of it, pretty silly. not to mention Booooooooooring.

I figured posters would come away from a David Taylor defeat, threatening to quit watching wrestling.

..why?

..the webcast was great, the bout was great, and Ed Ruth is still the best wrestler at PSU.